Sign in with
Your question

Hardware/Router Firewall Question?

Last response: in Networking
September 18, 2003 7:26:10 PM

What's the best brand/type of hardware firewall - I've been told to use a router, but I'm new to this networking stuff. I have Road runner. Is a hardware firewall better than a software (Zone Alarm) firewall?

Thanks.

<b><font color=blue>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Bejamin Franklin</font color=blue><b>
September 19, 2003 5:24:12 PM

I have Zone Alarm Pro - is that enough. Should I add hardware firewall at all?

<b><font color=red> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken </font color=red><b>
September 21, 2003 6:53:07 AM

the hardwarefirewall is maybe abit more efficient cause it won`t use any resources on your puter nor will it spam your screen with warnings. the trouble with hardwarefirewalls can be that they are not that easy to setup, but they require abit of understanding of networking whereas the software firewall is rather easy to setup. any firewall is as good or as bad as other (of course some are worse, hehe) it is all about understanding how it works and how threats come in from the network you are connected to. But in the end a firewall is just a "filter" either allowing all traffic or blocking it to one port or the other, which can be quiet annoying since you need some ports for this or that, but exactly these ports might be very vulnerable to attacks.

Beat the heat with the USB-Powered Fan :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TomaHawK on 09/21/03 09:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
September 21, 2003 5:06:24 PM

What's the best & easiest hardware firewall (router) to use. If it has a "default" firewall setting, I'll just use that - trying to keep up with all the "ports" is impossible for me - I just want to block the major ports used by hackers.

<b><font color=red> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken </font color=red><b>
September 22, 2003 3:44:13 AM

Zone Alarm Pro is what I've used for two years now, excellent firewall and I also have Roadrunner Cable.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
September 22, 2003 12:57:11 PM

That's what I'm using now (RR & Zone Alarm Pro) - but software being software - I've read that a properly configured hardware firewall is often better - would like to go that route. I read here that D-Link DI 604 Router was good - any opinions?

September 22, 2003 1:54:06 PM

Well since your machine has been broken into because of the failure of the Zone Alarm Pro, thats definitely a good reason to look for a hardware firewall.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
September 23, 2003 8:26:56 PM

the D-Link DI 604 Router is a nice piece of hardware, if you are new to routers/switches go for it!

Beat the heat with the USB-Powered Fan :wink:
October 2, 2003 7:32:57 PM

Linksys also makes routers with hardware firewalls, and they are extremely easy to set up.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB (Storage)
Maxtor 6GB (System)
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4
October 6, 2003 11:47:45 AM

Anybody got any advice as to configuration - I'm not really up to speed on "ports", etc. Want to avoid rendering my machine "hobbled" by to many closed ports - but at the same time, I'm looking for that added hardware protection. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous
October 7, 2003 7:31:31 PM

Just hook it up and try it. At least with mine (a netgear product), I had no issues until I tried playing an online networked game. Then all I had to do to fix it was forward the propper port in the router firmware, and all was well. Very easy.

I think normally all ports would be blocked by default, and you would have to manually select which ports to forward. This allows for great internet, but needs to be tweaked for games.
October 13, 2003 4:41:24 PM

normally all INBOUND traffic is blocked with a few exceptions, whereas OUTBOUND is not usually blocked, that is why you SHOULD get a software firewall in addition to your router, especially after the recent security issue with the blasterworm.

October 18, 2003 10:36:02 PM

I would go with D-Link router. I think it is using a faster Processor.
November 17, 2003 9:29:15 PM

Whatever you do don't use D-Link. I've found their product lacking heavily on performance...especially hubs and routers. I love 3Com and LinkSys.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS
November 18, 2003 3:21:26 PM

i still think you are lame.

November 18, 2003 10:42:38 PM

Well I may be lame...but you cannot stop me from doing the LAMBADA!

<i>that's the forbidden dance</i>

----------

TKS
November 21, 2003 11:05:33 AM

Strange - the opinions differ a lot here, re brand. Wirelessman in this <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/network/modules.php?name..." target="_new">thread </A>claims that his isp experience is that Linksys routers suck - and you recommend them. Others recommend the D-Link router I mentioned earlier in this post, and you claim they are trash ...

Anbody know of a good professional article on the pro's and con's of the different brands/models?

<b> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken <b>
November 21, 2003 8:31:22 PM

Well, let's put it in context with my experience:

I had a <A HREF="http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62" target="_new">Dlink DI-604</A> and tested out my connections at around 1000kbps. Then I got a new <A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&sci..." target="_new">Linksys BEFSR41</A> and my connection is around 1800kbps. So I'd say there is something that makes a difference there. No upgrades in other hardware whatsoever other than the router. Not to mention the fact that the reason I had to get the linksys is that the D-Link crapped out on me. So, I don't like D-Link stuff (I had a hub by them crap out on my upstairs computers...I had to go 3com there to serve my three machines there). My Linksys so far is friggen choice. So, I bash D-Link based upon my experience with them...which is all anyone can do otherwise they are just hopping on a bandwagon with someone elses opinion. So, that's where I get that stuff from. :p 

----------

TKS
November 22, 2003 1:15:27 AM

Certainly appreciate your experience/opinion - that's all I can ask. I'm principally interested in the hardware firewall features of a router - just have this one computer. Do you think the Linksys BEFSR41 is a good choice to serve as a hardware firewall?

<b> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken <b>
November 22, 2003 2:24:56 AM

It was good enough for me for a while...then I built another machine and installed turbolinux 8 on it...I use that as my firewall/router now. Just picked up a belkin 8 port hub and that thing serves me now. Plus I can use it as a webserver, domain, mailserver, and ftp server. I'm all set now. I gave my Linksys to my sister so she could use it in college. But it worked like a top when I had it. I'd recommend it in a second for someone that doesn't need a webserver, domain, etc.

----------

TKS
November 23, 2003 7:49:45 AM

I have DI-624 and connection speed is the same straight from the cable box or through the router - 1.8mbt - wired or whireless (I know it is not a 604, but who's gonna use it if there is a fester one (.g versa .b) for the same price. What is your problem?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
November 23, 2003 12:24:23 PM

Probably this nasty itch I developed after going out binge drinking with Joe Piscapo. That and the D-Link slowed my connection down...dunno why...don't care. It was probably a faulty product...one of a few....but it chose me and now I choose products other than it. :p 

----------

TKS
November 23, 2003 4:30:41 PM

so does it mean that anything that chooses you you choose something else instead ;?>

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
November 25, 2003 4:53:30 PM

Well they didn't make it easy for you to make a purchase.
Buy the Linksys BEFSR41 router, built in firewall. You play a game and the request comes from the inside, it'll open the port. Nothing to worry about. I use it, it works. If a real hacker wants around it, he'll get around it, no doubt. The other 99% of people trying to get in probably won't.
I've used this router for over a year (I've seen it down to 40-45 dollars now) and it works great. You can do a firmware upgrade on it and Linksys has awesome documentation on their website for doing more in-depth configuring if you have the desire to do it, but you don't need to.
Hope that clarifies things for you.

Riser
November 26, 2003 7:07:00 PM

The best protection is a combination of both hardware and software firewalls. This is the ideal, since both have different advantages and disadvantages.

<i>Microsoft's latest strategy for security advises "use an Internet firewall." The company then suggests using a "hardware" or "software" firewall. So, which one of the two should you choose?
The answer is both, and here's why:
Hardware firewalls are your first line of defense. Most of the latest worms blast out billions of packets and clog up networks. A software firewall, which sits on your PC, will stop your PC from getting infected, but it won't keep this traffic off your network. ...</i>

<A HREF="http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/infoCenter/tip/0,29..." target="_new">The real firewall strategy</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nickm on 11/26/03 04:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!