Win98 says C: is unknown but stil displys contents

G

After re-installing Win98 over the top of itself, the Drive C icon now displays as an unknown file type with a hand underneath it in Explorer. By double clicking the icon, a dialog is displayed asking for autorun.exe. By right clicking and selecting OPEN, the drive contents are displayed. Drive C is not removable media. It is not set as a removable drive in the drive settings, so i'm at a bit of a loss. Can anybody out there help?

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unless wiping your partition(s) and remake it I don't the answer to your question. Maybe you'll want to try "fdisk /mbr" at the command prompt. It will try to redo your master boot record, I use this as a last resort when faced with partition problems. Don't forget your backups before doing this :)

Hope that helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, sounds line you have an autorun.inf file in the root of your c: drive, possibly from copying the contents of a cd there or something, there shouldnt be an autorun.inf in the root of any hard drive, this file is normally used on cd's, the autorun.inf tells windows what file to execute when the cd is inserted (or double clicked as in this case), find the file and delete it, then reboot and all will be well.Also, if it has a hand under it, this normally indicates a shared drive, unless you are on a network this isnt needed, go to control panel/network, click "file and print sharing" than remove the two ticks.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers