Athlon XP 2000+ Socket A

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Ok, my system's processor is feeling slow these days, especially in games. Its socket A and I'm using a "AM37" motherboard from FIC (it came with this computer...an eMachines). I've heard places that you can find a switch or something on the motherboard that lets you change the FSB (from 133 to 166 or something).

I'd like to try that, but I can't find such a switch. Maybe my motherboard doesn't have one? Or maybe I am wrong about this whole idea...some motherboards have a switch like that, right? If mine has one, where would it be located on the mobo? (I couldn't find one, maybe I wasn't looking correctly...)

What are my other options for overclocking this? I don't want to buy anything (stock hsf and stuff). I couldn't find any FSB or other CPU options in the bios.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i am relatively inexperienced, but have also never seen such an alleged fsb switch. i have seen bios options, which you are apparently lacking. what i would do is look around the motherboard, very closely, for jumpers that control fsb. some mobos have them, some don't, most are found on older mobos, i believe. if you can find those, then you can alter their configuration to speed up fsb. and, while you are looking for those, you may just find your speed switch. either way, good luck to you.

johnyt

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I would say dont do it thats a 25% increase of fsb speed i doubt a chip like that would be able to handle it.

Im real new to this over clocking myself but i know those emachines are built with the cheapest components they can find I doubt your motherboard would have the facilities to be honest.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yes, that is unfortunately true. usually cheaper mobos, particularly those put in prebuilt machines, do not overclock well. i am quite positive that your proc can handle it, i'm just not so sure about the other components (mobo specifically, but also ram, psu, and... uh... idk.... other fry-able important things). anyway, point is, don't take our word on it, get some more opinions. if its old, and your not very attached, go for it; ocing can be fun. but if you have alot to lose, just don't risk it.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Well, I still need to use this computer (until I get a new one, but even then, my family will have to use it). So, since it can't easily be done, I'll abandon the idea. It's not very practical anyway, since my CPU temp is 60C and I can't get anymore cooling. Thanks anyway. I took a pretty good look, and I couldn't find it...so, this topic is answered to me.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
Dude...the first thing to do is to find out what chipset you have on yoru emachines motherboard. It could be that you actually have a good chipset that has been neutered by the OEM. This is a common occurrence even today. The wasy to find out is to download this cool utility called CPUZ do a google search. It wil tell you processor core type, RAM type/speed and other useful info. Then once you have found out which chipset you have this will better tell you whether or not the chipset is quality enough to handle it. As long as you have at least 3 phase power being supplied to the chip you're good to go on overclocking so long as you can actually accomplish the overclock. The next thing to do is to download clockgen from the same website as CPUZ. This will allow you to change FSB settings via windows! Don't listen to all of the stupid noob's as they don't know what they are talking about straight up. I have an anthlon XP 2400 thoroughbred core that is currently running on a 333 fsb up from a 266! and its stable on a stock fan! These things are tough so long as you have good thermal compound and a decent fan as well as good case ventilation. Heat is always your enemy just more so when overclocking. Let us know what happens

Good luck

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
older mb's used to have switches on the the board for fsb and multiplier etc. all of the "new" one's(last 5 years or so) do it through the bios. the mb's in an emachine or hp or dell use there own bios and disable all or atleast most of the options that make tinkering fun

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I can't use clockgen, my motherboard isn't supported (I checked). Also I looked at my mobo's manual, and it does have a jumper for the FSB, but the only choices are 133 or 100. And my processor is using 133...

Is there a chance that clockgen could still work? Because I have no idea what else to choose...my mobo uses phoenix Award Bios btw.

stephen1960

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Well, I still need to use this computer (until I get a new one, but even then, my family will have to use it). So, since it can't easily be done, I'll abandon the idea. It's not very practical anyway, since my CPU temp is 60C and I can't get anymore cooling. Thanks anyway. I took a pretty good look, and I couldn't find it...so, this topic is answered to me.

If your cpu is already running at 60C, don't even try it unless you get in there and put a better cpu cooler on it which you would have to buy or borrow from someone.

My cpu temp ranges from about 37C to 43C at max load and my motherboad is made for overclocking, if you were in my position then you could overclock but from what you have said, do yourself a favor and keep it running as it was built, if you ruin it or ruin the reliability you will have a whole other problem to deal with.

I choose to not overclock because I don't want to spend the time to do it well and ensure reliability, I like to keep it at specification and I enjoy my computers like that, I enjoy the reliability.

I recommend that you survey the hardware available in the market and put together, in your mind, a nice system that you might really like then work towards making that happen. It's worth it and if you do a good job you will be so proud of your computer you will enjoy it for a long time, even when it gets old.

Finally, if you still want a go at it, consider buying someone's used motherboard from ebay, a socket A board, I have also seen new socket A boards for sale very cheap, I presume leftover stock, they aren't the top shelf enthusiast boards but are of newer technology than what you seemingly are using and will accept your processor.

Good luck >====>Stephen

sailer

Splendid
I'm afraid that your only real course of action here is to replace the motherboard, if you can find one for socket A. Your cpu temp isn't all that bad, but some additional cooling would, even if it was only to open up a slot on the back of the computer for better ventilation. Many of the cheap computers don't have a lot available to work with in changing settings, with HP and e-machines being among the worst. If you can't find a new motherboard, your only choice is to save for a more modern computer.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yeah, i'd say just keep saving up for what you've got on your wish list, especially because the computer appears to be in high demand. your wishilst seems like a really sweet build, but of course if anyone else sees it, they'll yell at you for not going cd2 (not that i wouldn't myself, but your build is cool nonetheless).

so, it boils down to this: do you want to spend money on a technically dead computer in the form of cooling and a new mobo, do you want to risk the computer for a little performance gain, or do you want to just play it safe and wait it out till you can get that build off the ground? its all up to you, of course.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I'm buying a new computer around Christmas, its ok that I can't OC this current one, its not a big deal to me.

Thanks for the compliment on my wishlist, I'm going to try and get a faster processor than I chose, right now its all budget...if I cant get something better, it will still be decently overclockable.:D I think I'll stick with the X2 3800+ and go for a nice new AMD when they release one.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I dont even see the point of changing the FBS its not going to change how it feels in games at all. its a old out of date cpu. and running at 60c you already have a big heat problem with out better cooling running a stable over clock would be near impossible. doing so would be a waste of your time other then to learn how to do it. as long as it isnt used for any major gaming the machine will be more then fine the way it is.

killmess

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
yes, that is unfortunately true. usually cheaper mobos, particularly those put in prebuilt machines, do not overclock well. i am quite positive that your proc can handle it, i'm just not so sure about the other components (mobo specifically, but also ram, psu, and... uh... idk.... other fry-able important things). anyway, point is, don't take our word on it, get some more opinions. if its old, and your not very attached, go for it; ocing can be fun. but if you have alot to lose, just don't risk it.

I have a XP 2000+ (thoroughbread b core), working at 167 fsb x 11 multiplier(1830Mhz).
I don't know your mother, but you should change the multiplier from 12(default) to 10 before overclock fsb to 166(166 x 10 = 1666(original frecuency but higher fsb)), then try to raise little the multiplier(0,5) and test stability for a time, if stable, raise multiplier another bit. :wink:

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i'd say, depending on the extent of your bumming abilities, try to mooch some old ram off one of your friends/coworkers/whatevers. just ask around, the worst they can say is "no." i mooched an entire computer off my friends, so go figure. heh. but, yeah, a ram upgrade is a little safer way to improve your computer. and i always loves me some ram upgrades.

if you can't mooch any, just sit on your money till you can build that compy (you said christmas, i believe?). don't BUY old ram for that computer, ddr1 is WAYYYY to expensive, and that is money you can put towards pretty new ddr2. good luck, my friend.

killmess

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006

Before overclock you should do something about temperature tho.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I have no intentions of overclocking this Athlon XP 2000+, so stop replying about it :wink:

As for the new computer I'm buying around Christmas, I would never use old ram, this one is going to be built to be overclocked, there's no reason why I would even consider using random RAM from someone else. I'm buying all of the computer, even mouse, monitor, keyboard (look at the wishlist if you care...) Anyway, this topic is finished, so stop replying :p

stephen1960

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I have no intentions of overclocking this Athlon XP 2000+, so stop replying about it :wink:

As for the new computer I'm buying around Christmas, I would never use old ram, this one is going to be built to be overclocked, there's no reason why I would even consider using random RAM from someone else. I'm buying all of the computer, even mouse, monitor, keyboard (look at the wishlist if you care...) Anyway, this topic is finished, so stop replying :p

In point of fact, we are overclocking your computer by proxy (that being you, champ.)

This way, we get some of the thrill of overclocking but none of the risks.

And we even get to learn interesting stuff like how lordaardvark2 MOOCHED AN ENTIRE COMPUTER OFF HIS FRIENDS, wow.

But hey, if you aren't game for all that, fine, we can troll some other posts.

BTW he was suggesting you borrow or otherwise aquire without expense some ram for your current machine, not your soon-to-be machine.

Cheers >====>Stephen

killmess

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006

We won't reply, but can we quote :?: :twisted: :wink: :lol: