Drive letters change on reboot.

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Here's the deal, the hd letters are changing on reboot, the c: drive is I: & it is saying i have a k: drive at this moment as removable storage.

I dont know where this rs came from. I have unplugged all devises from the computer but the mouse & kb, thinking it was usb related, but to no avail.

This is on a HP Pavilion a744x.

link

I recently did a fresh install of xp, & it was fine when I gave back to my freind. I had them got to manage,storage, & try to change the drive letters.

I'm lost guys.....

Thanks
Hicks

Need more info, just ask.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
so... are you saying that the default C:\ windows drive, is being automatically relettered to I:\ ?... if thats the case, then you would have to have a C:\ through H:\ already taken up then... most likely by a previous windows installation on a seperate drive, or, the C:\ as youre saying, might already be occupied by another windows installation... ...windows by default assigns itself the C:\, unless its manually changed, or manually installed on a different drive letter... but if it was automatically changed from C:\ to I:\, that would probably interfere with registry entries too for applications and such

so, more info might be good :)