Epox EP-9NPA+ULTRA
AMD X2 4400+
EVGA 6800GT
2 GB Corsair RAM
WD SATA 74GB Raptor (boot disk)
Barracuda SATA 320GB 7200.10
(2) Barracuda SATA 200GB 7200.8
Win XP SP2

I upgraded to the X2 4400+ which required a BIOS upgrade. It was new in 5/2005, before the X2 hit the street. Following instructions I found somewhere on the net, I used UltraISO to build a bootable CD (no floppy) by dropping 9npa5c06.bin and awdflash.exe into flashcd.iso and upgraded my BIOS. It tells me I'm at Award 6.00PG. Ok fine - system runs great for months.

So now I want to RAID0 the pair of 200GB 'Cudas. I go into BIOS, IDE Function Setup, Enable RAID Enable, Enable SATA 1 and 2 RAID. Save/reboot. No RAID menu. I press F10 more or less continuously from the time the BIOS header appears until Win XP login and no RAID menu.

What am I missing? Along with the BIOS do I need to install any other firmware to the mobo? Is it a Windows thing?

I don't want to fubar my nicely running system so any help is appreciated.

More about : raid menu bios upgrade

November 19, 2006 1:02:14 AM

In case some other Googler has the same problem, here's the solution.

The EPOX manual is way wrong - all that F10 crap is just that - crap.

The steps I described in my earlier plea were right, AFAIK - someone set me right, please, if I'm not. I downloaded nForce4_amd_6.70_winxp2k_english.exe from the nVidia site and installed it. I accepted all the options and then all the Win XP warnings about unsigned code. Then called up nTunes from the Start menu and clicked NVraid at the bottom. NTunes was already building a single volume RAID from one of my 'Cudas (would that be a single volume RAID0 or RAID1? that's a joke, aye :) ). I canceled that, configured my RAID0 with the twins and I'm golden.

This baby screams. Microsoft Flight Stimulator X level load times of less than a minute. Benchmarked against my Raptor in side-by-side tests show at least 75% faster in my poor man's test of Paint Shop Pro rebuilding same dirs full of images of a couple thousand files. And 4/5 dentists approve of my solution...

Anyway, fellow Googler, drop me an email if it helps or if I can help further.

Cheers!

Beggarstune (What A Long Strange Trip It's Been)

:D 
!