Suggestions on programs to test stability?

I have a E6400 @ 2800, and I'd like to make sure it's reeeeeally stable. It seems to be stable in Prime95 and Orthos, although I've only been running them for 2 hours each.

BUT, I've been noticing some strange quirks, especially when It was clocked a little bit higher (which led me to lower my OC a bit). One time the system rebooted when a friend of mine added a shared folder for us in Live Messenger. One time the GUI of Windowsblinds was corrupted when I started it. And one time I got a crash when opening CPU-Z. I'm not sure this is due to overclocking (haven't had a single problem in a couple of days now) but it seems that it might have something to do with it.

So here's the question: What programs should I run to test the overall stability of the system? Not just math calculations... I need to test other things than the CPU & RAM as well. 8)

Thanks,
Fredrik
4 answers Last reply
More about suggestions programs test stability
  1. I'd say repeated runs of a graphics benchmark, or a cycling demo mode from a demanding game.

When it was still all the hype, I used to run Unreal's flyby introduction (with all details enabled, max sound quality and maximum definition/AF/AA) for hours to check my systems overclock overall stability.. Right now you could try Oblivion or FEAR cycling demos - but I don't have any idea on how to make them run, or if they have any (I only have FEAR, and I haven't looked).

Another way to test the RAM/chipset/HD capabilities is to start several compression jobs at the same time (say, 2 DVD to DivX encodes and 4-8 MP3 encodes) so as to push these subsystems hard, as well as tax the CPU's thread switching capabilities (pipelines and cache).

In fact, since I usually build a new system or upgrade an existing one when I decide to backup some DVDs I bought, I can say when a system is right where it should be or running a bit too high with tinkering...
  2. Hi,

Don't forget that a little hotter day will make overclocking any processor more "iffy." That could explain the last couple of days, if it's been cooler near your home.
  3. Thanks guys! I'm normally not into games, but I realize that a cycling game demo would be a good thing to try. :) The last game I actually played was "Half Life 2", before that "No one lives forever". It's been a few years. I anyone could point me to a game demo that can be run in a cycling mode, I would be really grateful. :D THANKS!
  4. Quote:
    I have a E6400 @ 2800, and I'd like to make sure it's reeeeeally stable. It seems to be stable in Prime95 and Orthos, although I've only been running them for 2 hours each.

BUT, I've been noticing some strange quirks, especially when It was clocked a little bit higher (which led me to lower my OC a bit). One time the system rebooted when a friend of mine added a shared folder for us in Live Messenger. One time the GUI of Windowsblinds was corrupted when I started it. And one time I got a crash when opening CPU-Z. I'm not sure this is due to overclocking (haven't had a single problem in a couple of days now) but it seems that it might have something to do with it.

So here's the question: What programs should I run to test the overall stability of the system? Not just math calculations... I need to test other things than the CPU & RAM as well. 8)

Thanks,
    Fredrik

Memtest 86+ - boot it off a CD. If it won't past Memtest, it won't pass anything else.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking