A bit of relief from the AMD/ATi camp

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
There has been a question of whether AMD/ATi will continue building high end graphics cards, and the slides posted @ [H] give some relief to this question.

whew.gif

I'm feeling better.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
There was never a reason to think that ATI wouldn't be making any new video cards.
AMD's plans on fusing a cpu with a gpu most certainly put forth the question of whether or not ATi would continue building discrete high end graphics chips.
This uncertainty was felt by people involved in the hardware industry, as well as enthusiast's like us.

But since you knew what was taking place all along, I'll just be sure to come to you next time when I want the inside scoop :roll:

retepallen

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Its what they are trying to do for laptops.

News has been all over the place for a while.

This may be an Inquirer article, but it gives the idea

http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=35789

They wont be getting rid of any high end graphics, but it should increase graphics performance on low end laptops. Maybe they could even run Vista Aero. I would imagine thats the goal.....

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Yup Fusion it was on tomshardware for several days.. and from what I read it will target low to mid end level of graphics as discrete GPUs will still be there and created

I guess this is for computer companies like Dell though

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Where did you hear that AMD would integrate the GPU and CPU? That makes no sence at all.
Yes, they are working on it.

I agree it makes no sense, because GPUs are using more and more power, and run hotter. Once GPUs become efficient, and won't produce a lot of heat, then it'll make more sense.