Sign in with
Your question

List of recommended PSUs to save ppl some time:

Last response: in Components

Would you add or remove any PSUs from this list ?

Total: 10 votes

• Yes - Add some more fine quality PSUs
  • 30 %
  • Yes - Remove some low PSUs as their failure rate seams higher than some others (They are not the advertised quality)
  • 40 %
  • No - The list is fine as it is, for now. (Q4 2006 - Q2 2007).
  • 30 %
November 17, 2006 10:25:52 AM

Certified SLI-Ready Power Supplies:

List of good Power Supply Units - Acrobat PDF

*SLI-Ready power supply certification is based on a typical PC configuration. If your PC exceeds this typical configuration, your system may require additional power. The configurations used to test the SLI-Ready power supplies can be found here.

** This is a drive bay power supply that provides additional power for graphics use only. It powers two 6-pin PCI-Express graphics card connectors. This supply is certified for SLI PCs when paired with another standard SLI-Ready power supply from the "All other SLI PC configurations" list above.

SLI or not these are currently the only PSUs I would recommend people use for longtivity purposes.

- Tabris.DarkPeace
November 17, 2006 12:12:43 PM

... I would say remove CoolerMaster, Etasis, Topower, Xclio, Dynapower, HEC, Procase, Sparkle from all the top lists. For the other SLI PC... we can leave them with generic...

Only allow top brands for the top choices, OCZ, Enermax, PC P&C, Seasonic, Antec, Thermaltake, Zippy, Targan, FSP, Silverstone...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 17, 2006 12:34:28 PM

One more thing, that list is very difficult to navigate through...
November 17, 2006 12:53:03 PM

Nice psu's.Only I think I;ve seen that list around somewhere else.Oh ya,NVIDIA SLI club states the same thing,even looks like the same list.But hey all,more people read Toms than anything else when it comes to looking for info or help so I approve 100%.Nice job bringing it to the forum,very useful info for anyone to have.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
November 17, 2006 2:03:27 PM

Yeah, it is the SLI Zone list and I was expecting some people to notice that :wink:

Mostly for all those posts in the scrolling list asking about PSUs every 5 minutes. :p 

Also, I'd much like to 'evolve' the list over time.
Every company makes mistakes, and certification of various PSUs is an area where mistakes can happen.

However since nVidia / SLI zone have doe 80%+ the work for most consumers figured may as well put it to good use. (As said, I also feel more people look to TomsHardware than SLI Zone for advise, and sometimes with good reason.

eg: SLI Certified RAM and SLI Certified Cases are a bit of a gimick

However SLI Certified PSUs have actually gone through some real testing IMHO, and the products are unlikely to change (for the worse) in specfications overnight while keeping the same names. (In the name of profits as they've got backing by and certification usually involves these sort of clauses).

As for removing CoolerMaster, I dunno, I am recommending them more and more these days for price/performance reasons. They seam to be a growing company getting it right.

Antec on the other hand, despite the fact I only use Antec TruePower PSUs, which are really SeaSonics but cost less, have burned me many times with their SmartPowers (I've had 4 of 4 SmartPower PSUs fail in 'lightly loaded' PCs so I won't personally touch another Antec 'SmartPower' PSU again for at least 4 years - Esp since they are damaging clients mainboards in the process of failing).

I feel Antec are over-recommended and of late their product lines (for case + PSU combo) have all changed to include Antec SmartPower PSUs, including the Performance TX line which was exclusively Antec TruePower (Seasonic rebranded) prior to their recent restructuring for profits.

When the Antec Performance TX 1088 AMG was discontinued, and their Performance TX 1050 changed to include a, much cheaper, SmartPower PSU, that is failing to often and taking other hardware with it.... all in the name of short/med term profits - Well that was my wake up call.

Not all Antec PSUs are good, in fact less than 50% of their entire product line-up would even pass as 'acceptable' in specification. Then some of those don't even meet the specs on their own boxes.

I feel ashamed for recommending a brand, instead of recommending specific product(s) [that don't lower their specs over time], for so long to other system builders & to the DIY crowds. But not every day I have such a valuable learning experience.

However all the Antec ones above look OK to me, assuming they actually do meet the specs on the box. Many have 3 x 12 V rails, each rated to high amperage, which is good. (Much like the older EPS12V standard for servers very quickly leaned towards).

As such I've decided to start a thread, with a poll, and ask for feedback.

The PSU is the most mis-understood component of computers.
eg: For a low end PC with low impact user 320 - 450 watts might be fine. But even for gamers / heavier users / most demanding PCs looking for non-SLI / non-Crossfire I'd start recommending quality* 550 watt PSUs ASAP to system builders.

* - Quality in this sense excludes many 550 watt PSUs on the market today, including ones marketted as 'better than the rest'.

I find it sad that it has come to the point where companies rely on advertising and marketting more than quality, and continued improvements in quality, of product lines.

The CoolerMaster post above also concerns me, as I am starting to recommend their PSUs over many Antec ones. (But only to people who want to reduce costs on PSU, and frankly I think the 'skew' of quality from CoolerMaster is far more consistent from their lower to higher end product line up). I am not however rating their entire product line as 'perfect' for the price, nor do I want to give that impression.

Still, looks like this thread is off to a roaring start, with some good fellows (anyone who noticed where the list is from obviously pays attention).

I'd also much like to see 80%+ efficient PSUs (regardless of loading, not just 85% eff at near max load, but only 60% eff at low load like so many are) discussed.

Silent PSUs, and 'near silent' PSUs (say < 16 dB, tested - vs marketted) are also of much interest to me.

Bear in mind power sockets differ from nation to nation, as do 'eco friendly' manufacturing laws, so that is another area I'd like to go in.

Maybe this will become a sticky after 90 days, maybe not, but most would agree PSUs in PCs is where much of the negligence, ignorance, and incompetence has gone recently.

(all this and the laptop battery issues of late.... makes us IT techs wonder, eh ?)

EDIT: I've also removed heaps of white space from post #1, making it shorter and easier to navigate because of the feedback. (Was going to wait until Sunday, or even next weekend, but looking at it again it really needs 2 columns).

It also needs by 'scenario loading' (as above), and also 'by brand' listing IMHO.

Hopefully over time maybe 100 - 1000 people will post what PSU, or PSUs they've used, can find out if they are still being manufactured, and if so have their specs 'magically got worse' but being sold with same product name, or have they been discontinued.... and better yet which PSUs are failing on various people under various sorts of loads and why.

The one thing PCs System Builders really need is more appreciation of the PSU (over 12 - 36+ months they get less efficienct and may fail), and also a database of all PSUs.

Heck, we have databases for every x86 based processor ever produced, accurate to the revisions / steppings of each chip, and of every other GPU ever sold to consumers... but for power supply units (PSUs), the community has really had jack ****, fluff, gimicks, false specifications, with an over reliance of advertising and marketting.

I say it is damn time we changed this, so future generations of DIY and System Builders can learn from one of the few remaining 'mistakes' left in IT, before IT really takes off (consider IT is really only 25 years old or so, for the consumer market that is).

- Tabris:D arkPeace
November 17, 2006 2:15:15 PM

Well, if we wanted to get technical, I'd recommend the Antec Trio, Enermax Galaxy, OCZ GameXStream, Silverstone Zeus, TT Toughpower... yadda yadda yadda, since those are the lines that I really think are the best, not really the PSU manufacturers. You might want to add that.

Also, the SLI certified list doesn't include some PSU's that should easily make it, since their SLI testing usually takes a while. Coolermaster is probably moving up in the world, but I usually pass judgement on them after I read a couple of reviews from review sites about their products. All the ones I recommend have been known for stability, reliability, efficency, and something I'd be willing to put in my own personal computer.

True, Antec's budget line is pretty bad, but you can say the same for a lot of brands budget lines. That's why they are a budget line...

I don't see the Enermax Galaxy for dual 8800GTX.. and I'm sure it can support. One reason why I don't really like nVidia's SLI certified list, they seem to be missing some of the better PSU's, not to mention I have a sneaking suspicion there is underhand dealings between these companies and nVidia anyways...

Review of 1000W Enermax Galaxy:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/psu/368/
November 17, 2006 3:16:22 PM

Quote:
Well, if we wanted to get technical, I'd recommend the Antec Trio, Enermax Galaxy, OCZ GameXStream, Silverstone Zeus, TT Toughpower...

Wow, I was just thinking the same exact thing.
November 17, 2006 3:27:15 PM

I wouldn't be surprised about 'out of sight' deals between nVidia and 3rd parties regarding SLI Certification.

Assuming ATI start something similar it'll be easy to see which ones make both lists, or which ones should.

As for reviews, I've stopped relying on them so much, as 85% of are mostly fluff and marketting. They either pay enough and get a good review, or refuse to be blackmailed and the reviewer might make shit up, or damage the unit so the numbers look bad.

I am yet to find a single site that purchases, from 10 - 25 different sources, 10 - 25 of the 'same' [cough, not always but in same box with same 'product name' on device] unit, and checks for consistant compliance of 'advertised' specifications, and making sure none are 'below' spec. Then hammers them for a month each, in parallel. Finally publishing the results, unmodified, and presenting the facts to the 'big brands' on their own products from a consumer perspective, while offering a chance for them to have input and improve their products. (So everyone wins, but the test is public to reads, but costs a private body heaps of money to review and time to test).

As such I'd rather the thread stick to 'known' experiences, not 'reviews on web-sites'. eg: I don't want to recommend a product if I've never owned it, and tried to stress it a little just because 5 review sites say it is nearly perfect, as far to often the final results (18+ months later) indicate otherwise and consumers + sys builders are the ones being ripped off.

PSU marketting is so effective it is scary, It is very easy to make some lines look better than others, and supply 'far more than typically tested' units to reviewers to give the public a biased review and sell more units. Esp if the specs change on a product sold with the same name, that should be made illegal in all western countries at once IMHO. (Is it so hard to at least call something XYZ Product ABC123 - Rev 1.1 so ignorant people think it is newer/better ?, but it can be differentiated by testers, reviewers & future consumers alike).

It isn't that there are landfills of PSUs starting to appear, and the fact when they die they usually can't be recycled, etc that started my 'final' crusade (I've got some others going that all tie to 'Performance per Watt of the final solution, aka: the software' going) for IT, but there are heaps of machines in landfill that would otherwise work if the PSU wasn't geared to kill the machine. (or more like, "used as a timebomb to cause failure after 3-5 years to sell more PCs by large OEMs")

That is a heap of (not all that old to be honest) IT hardware we could be giving to 3rd world, the poor, etc to close the IT skills shortage, and get people out of a rut. Most of it fails because the PSU gets less efficient over time (I set my watch to the failures, beats using an atomic clock :p ) and eventually fail, catastrophically, taking the former working/valuable hardware with it in too many cases'

Now that software efficiency is finally under the spot-light (and about ****ing time I must add), older PCs won't feel so old any more, if they didn't all 'fail' they could continue to be utilised by forementioned groups, to solve forementioned skill shortage. Maximum utility of the resource, at an incredibly affordable price.

[I have a MSN Live Space at http://tabris-darkpeace.spaces.live.com btw, the blog: http://tabris-darkpeace.spaces.live.com/blog/ has some interesting 're-takes' on some IT related stuff - Some of which may open peoples eyes to my way of thinking].

(Old hand here btw, very old hand - This is my '2nd' TomsHardware account was here during the pre Via-Cyrix-National Semiconductor days.

Had a temp ban - but got Mad Mod Mike to open his eyes..... - worth the price I paid :p  - well the phony TomsHardware Forumz Mad Mod Mike, as some may recall the comedy....

... plus some older posts I've mine which I really need to dig up one some more advanced discussions. eg: CPU die size, cost per unit in material, power consumption and performance gains tricks, etc).

On the upside CNET, and their assocated corperate crowd / reader base in general, are changing their way of thinking, albeit gradually, to suit my own, and most 'executive' style people let CNET brainwash them, so now we'll see 'advanced, but obvious for years' changes happening in IT over the next several years.

I think between now (Nov 2006), and April 2008 next year will be a key pivoting point to the future of IT. (but I'm getting beyond the scope and intention of this thread :p ).

- Tabris:D arkPeace
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2006 3:52:35 PM

The list is too long and will probably create too much confusion. The best approach would be to narrow down the list to the cream of the crop.
November 17, 2006 4:34:35 PM

Which is exactly why I am asking for experiences with PSUs in general, and after data on each one.

If I ask 100 different people I'll get 100 different answers on which ones are best and why. IMHO most the answers will be marketting dribble and fan-boy responses, with no data to back-up claims.

So far so good though, You yourself don't want fan-boys ****ing it up.

:idea: ED: The list only *looked* long because it *was* all in one column and there is minimal data so far. I'm only trying to generate interest on the subject, look at poll results, etc.

8) ED_REASON: The list has been replaced by a one line URL, to an Adobe Acrobat PDF, which is 2 pages, and contains all the origina sections, with their contents split into 2 columns. The whole list is now only 2 x A4 pages.

In another 90 days might start a poll for which PSUs people have, why (eg: low cost), and their experiences so far, or previous experiences, with given PSUs.

After [possibly well after] April 2007 the enthusiasts will be mostly happy with all the hardware available on the market, beyond that prices will get better.

Concentration will change from 'how can we make this better via improvement ?', to 'how can we make this better by removing faults and points of failure, while moving forward ?', PSUs will be in the spotlight far more over the next 2 - 4 years [2006 - 2010], so figure may aswell collect data on it now to 'bull-charge' the discussions / questions that are obviously heading our way, less we get flanked by them latter on.

Heck, Even looking over the last 6 months, there have been far more PSU related questions of late than the norms.
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2006 5:41:26 PM

Quote:
Which is exactly why I am asking for experiences with PSUs in general, and after data on each one.

If I ask 100 different people I'll get 100 different answers on which ones are best and why. IMHO most the answers will be marketting dribble and fan-boy responses, with no data to back-up claims.

Well, the only experience I can offer is with the Seasonic S12 series. They are a well known PSU manufacture at least to those who actually bother to follow power supplies. Since they are known for their high efficiency, stability and quietness, I doubt I can add much weight to the various reviews that can be found on the web.
November 17, 2006 7:47:15 PM

The unbiased opinions of a large sample of consumers is all I seek.

Considering how little the subject is discussed I feel everyones experiences with various PSUs, if recorded, would be of great value.

I'm prepared to spend months collecting the data, checking this and that.

500 PSUs, even if I read about maybe 10 every weekend, each with some good/bad experiences (as they slowly get mentioned) it would take a year to really get a good feel for it, and debunk any myths, etc. Sure that is only apx 250 hours, or so, of a year, but it isn't something I can just spend 2-4 solid weeks on and get the same quality / quantity data. (Via reading posts of experiences, what people recommend and why vs what they've actually used, etc).
!