Sign in with
Your question

That was scary.... and now my finger hurts!

Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2006 10:30:02 AM

Hello all, i had something odd happen today. i pushed the button on my compy, to start it up, and finalize some science fair work. the scary part is, it beeps like normal and whatnot, but there is a monsterous fan roar.... i get kinda freaked out, and reach my hand in.... and then i accidentally stick my finger in my cpu fan.

OMFG it was so funny but i felt so so stupid. anyway, point is, why would that happen? MS just made me install some updates last nite before shutdown... that is really all that i can attribute it to....

so, my question is, should i do anything to like prevent this from happening, or is all okay? i'm kinda freaked out... and missing some finger..... lol

More about : scary finger hurts

November 17, 2006 11:16:32 AM

Just remember, dont stick your finger in places it shouldnt be :wink:
November 17, 2006 11:18:01 AM

That's why they call it fan blades.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 17, 2006 11:26:36 AM

LOL... and tomorrow's lesson will be:

Troubleshooting Power Supplies using your tongue.
November 17, 2006 11:47:59 AM

I could think of more painful regions than your tongue or finger.
November 17, 2006 11:55:07 AM

Quote:

Ow yeah...? Tell me that....must be interesting.
November 17, 2006 12:07:59 PM

To be honest with you, your problem could be anything. My old computer (and my new one come to think of it) were stubborn sometimes when it came to booting up. Sometimes I'd shut down one night, and the next day I find myself having to unplug the power cord to discharge the PC so it can boot up properly.

Try doing that first before doing anything dramatic, and keep your fingers out of your computer, next thing you know you'll be poking the top of your GPU or CPU and you'll get a nasty burn :p 
November 17, 2006 12:29:20 PM

Bet you will be more careful next time.
November 17, 2006 12:44:45 PM

wait wait... why were you reaching your hand in... was it on whim... or was some higher force compelling you to liberate yourself from your finger... oooooooooooooooooooooo
November 17, 2006 1:01:45 PM

Quote:

Ow yeah...? Tell me that....must be interesting.

this is my reply.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHy3aPXv7PE

Owww...i see what you mean. You were sitting there.
November 17, 2006 1:21:44 PM

LOL I just gotta say when I read the title I cracked up laughing here at work...
November 17, 2006 1:34:30 PM

Quote:
Just remember, dont stick your finger in places it shouldnt be :wink:

Yeah, be careful, haven't you heard of "snappers"? :wink: :wink:
November 17, 2006 1:36:06 PM

Yeah, great title - I was laughing, we thought some stripper took ya into the back room or something, LoL...
But: old fans will do that - their bearings will become sticky when they cool off overnight. They were fine the previous evening or whatever, but the next A.M. starting up from cold, they will begin to make noise when becoming aged.
So change the fan ASAP (and stay out of that back room, okay)!
Regards
November 17, 2006 1:38:12 PM

Really, you could do much better.
Now that you've found out how weak a cpu fan is, it's time to really test out your finger strength and stick it in your car's radiator fan! :p 

Seriously though, especially if you have a nice aftermarket fan, that had to have hurt.
November 17, 2006 2:04:52 PM

Bump

Plz explain why his fan is doing what its doing

:D 
November 17, 2006 2:06:41 PM

I would recommend getting a high rpm aluminum bladed fan and testing again.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2006 2:29:55 PM

This reminds me...

I was three years old the night I "discovered" that 9v batteries could be tested on the tongue.

These weren't the little ones, either, but the big ones with the blade contacts on them.

Shocking discovery, it was...
November 17, 2006 2:40:50 PM

Hehe, nice one. Just dont tell this to the women in your life.

The fan could be loud for many reasons. If your fan speed is adjusted through bios then somehow those settings might have gotten changed (did you stick your finger anywhere else on the motherboard lately?).
Your CPU HSF might be very dusty and thus gathering heat faster, forcing the fan into higher speeds (provided it's temperature controlled).
And of course the fan itself might be dying (bearing going south), which might require a replacement.

None of these reasons, however, necessitate sticking your extremities into moving fan blades :) 

Cheers
November 17, 2006 2:41:14 PM

LMFAO!

I've done exactly the same on several occasions. Damn it hurtz!

My favourite trick is to stop each fan individually trying to ascertain which is making all the noise and invariably I almost chop half a finger off in the process.

As for the horrendous noise, it's more than likely that you just need a new fan.
November 17, 2006 2:56:09 PM

And a new finger !!!
November 17, 2006 3:27:47 PM

There's a lesson to be learned here, but I'm not sure what it is ;) .

Anyway, thanks for this post... it's priceless!
November 17, 2006 3:28:12 PM

Smart thing to do is touch the fan on the center to stop it......
November 17, 2006 3:40:39 PM

why a new finger????? he has 7 more!!!!!!!!!!
November 17, 2006 6:49:58 PM

hey, everyone. i just got home from skool, and flunking a test... needless to say, i was pretty pissed off. but i got on here, and i read everyone's posts, and i was cracking up laughing. i just wanted to thank everyone for rescuing my day.

well, to explain myself, the fan was yelling at me, and i was like, "oh, sh*t, it must be overheating!" so i was trying to feel the general heat, and, *BRZZZZZT* there go a couple of layers of my finger skin. it was so funny, i felt so stupid.

so, moral of the story is, i'm glad that i DON'T have big, evil, pointy aftermarket cooling, because i probably wouldn't be typing rite now if i did. lol.

and thanks, everyone, for saving my day.

p.s. yumi_cheeseman, that vid was hilarious.

the fan isn't roaring rite now, so whatever. i think my finger is okay, too. heh.
November 17, 2006 8:09:37 PM

Was it a Dell???
I have been working with Dells for a long time now (good machines) and well... it happens some times... Dont know why... but when it does I just turn it off (how ever you like) and then back on and it is okay.
If I remember correctly(which i may not)... Its was a mobo issue... do a search on it at your mobo web site...
Like I said, didnt happen often and didnt affect the computer at all... soooooo... if it only does it this once, i wouldnt worry about it...
November 17, 2006 8:47:14 PM

as mentioned in previous post the fan is failing...
the bearings are going... (don't ask me where)
the fan may be fine for 6 months, a year or it may die 2morrow...
replace it when you can...

my 2ยข
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2006 9:54:33 PM

Quote:
Hello all, i had something odd happen today. i pushed the button on my compy, to start it up, and finalize some science fair work. the scary part is, it beeps like normal and whatnot, but there is a monsterous fan roar.... i get kinda freaked out, and reach my hand in.... and then i accidentally stick my finger in my cpu fan.

OMFG it was so funny but i felt so so stupid. anyway, point is, why would that happen? MS just made me install some updates last nite before shutdown... that is really all that i can attribute it to....

so, my question is, should i do anything to like prevent this from happening, or is all okay? i'm kinda freaked out... and missing some finger..... lol

Be glad its not one of those airoflow heatsinks with the 5600rpm TMD finger choppers....

i guess you can get a grille of some kind to make it not happen....but....its cheaper to not reach into the case like that...

does it not look designed to cut fingers?
November 17, 2006 10:34:46 PM

nah, sry, not a dell. homebuilt. socket a. do they even make replacement coolers for that socket anymore? i'm sure they do.... i'll be sure to buy a safety version this time, lol.

say... this could knock out those high temps, too.... 2 birds with one stone... whaddya know.

MadHacker, i'll start looking for one today. er tonite. er sometime in the immediate future. i think my sempron would shoot fireballs if i tried to run it w/out a fan. REAL hot proc. well, i guess its not that bad, but a lil exaggeration never hurt anyone
November 18, 2006 1:09:03 AM

The Gateways in my office do that too. Its just because the temperature sensors haven't been properly implemented in the bios' and when the compy starts up, all the fans go at full speed, something which isn't very pleasant.

This is probably not what your problem is. You, like others said, likely have a failing heatsink fan.

New ones? Of Course! Many new big ones have compatiblility all the way through that socket, just do a power search on newegg for one. I'm sure you'll find one to your liking. Good Luck!
November 18, 2006 2:10:23 AM

well still lots of compatible heatsinks available.
Socket A Heatsinks @ newegg

but I know nothing about what is better...
hunt around and you can probably find a review of all of them..
November 18, 2006 2:52:09 AM

Remove the fan and peel back the sticker in the center, exposing the spindle. Apply a small drop of motor oil, 10w15 will work fine, to the well. Turn the blades slowly to allow the oil to work itself in and push the sticker back down. Mount the fan and enjoy its operation for years to come.

My video card fan began growling after two years of use. I applied some oil to it and it's been singing ever since.
November 18, 2006 2:52:20 AM

you should use the new Thermaltake Bladeless fans, that way you wont lose fingers
November 18, 2006 3:56:09 AM

Quote:

Nice fan.. to bad is only comes in 70mm...
120mm fan like that would realy be sweet
November 18, 2006 6:36:32 AM

Quote:
Nice fan.. to bad is only comes in 70mm...
120mm fan like that would realy be sweet

A quick google search says that the sentiment is shared by many. It probably has something to do with the whole high rotational inertia/too much weight/risk of explosion/too huge of a fan issue. that 70mm takes as much space as an 80 or 90 with its shroud on, if I'm not mistaken...
November 19, 2006 3:23:13 AM

it may take as much space as 80mm fan at most i think... to match standard mounting...
and i don't think it would spin so fast that it would explode...
I think that is an issue with CD's though as to why the maximum speed is 52x, 1/2 the speed of sound the outside edge travels at...
don't think the fan is moving any where near that fast..

as for making a 120mm fan... making it larger doesn't mean it has to be faser... it could be slower but compensated with more blades.. to cut of the OP fingers better....
November 19, 2006 5:23:23 AM

If there was a 120 version of that fan, it would be a beast. But I would still buy it!
November 19, 2006 6:07:36 AM

it could be a 120mm housing but be a 110mm fan...
that way it would still fit in standard 120mm mounting holes
November 19, 2006 7:09:41 AM

Could be worse... You could've been trying to finger-start a .29ci or a .35ci model engine, with a 10 to 20 cm prop... Now THAT hurts.

Or you could have wondered into a c-130's prop late at night... Don't know if it hurts, but ....
!