That was scary.... and now my finger hurts!

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hello all, i had something odd happen today. i pushed the button on my compy, to start it up, and finalize some science fair work. the scary part is, it beeps like normal and whatnot, but there is a monsterous fan roar.... i get kinda freaked out, and reach my hand in.... and then i accidentally stick my finger in my cpu fan.

OMFG it was so funny but i felt so so stupid. anyway, point is, why would that happen? MS just made me install some updates last nite before shutdown... that is really all that i can attribute it to....

so, my question is, should i do anything to like prevent this from happening, or is all okay? i'm kinda freaked out... and missing some finger..... lol

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
To be honest with you, your problem could be anything. My old computer (and my new one come to think of it) were stubborn sometimes when it came to booting up. Sometimes I'd shut down one night, and the next day I find myself having to unplug the power cord to discharge the PC so it can boot up properly.

Try doing that first before doing anything dramatic, and keep your fingers out of your computer, next thing you know you'll be poking the top of your GPU or CPU and you'll get a nasty burn :p

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
wait wait... why were you reaching your hand in... was it on whim... or was some higher force compelling you to liberate yourself from your finger... oooooooooooooooooooooo

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Yeah, great title - I was laughing, we thought some stripper took ya into the back room or something, LoL...
But: old fans will do that - their bearings will become sticky when they cool off overnight. They were fine the previous evening or whatever, but the next A.M. starting up from cold, they will begin to make noise when becoming aged.
So change the fan ASAP (and stay out of that back room, okay)!
Regards

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Really, you could do much better.
Now that you've found out how weak a cpu fan is, it's time to really test out your finger strength and stick it in your car's radiator fan! :p

Seriously though, especially if you have a nice aftermarket fan, that had to have hurt.

This reminds me...

I was three years old the night I "discovered" that 9v batteries could be tested on the tongue.

These weren't the little ones, either, but the big ones with the blade contacts on them.

Shocking discovery, it was...

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
Hehe, nice one. Just dont tell this to the women in your life.

The fan could be loud for many reasons. If your fan speed is adjusted through bios then somehow those settings might have gotten changed (did you stick your finger anywhere else on the motherboard lately?).
Your CPU HSF might be very dusty and thus gathering heat faster, forcing the fan into higher speeds (provided it's temperature controlled).
And of course the fan itself might be dying (bearing going south), which might require a replacement.

None of these reasons, however, necessitate sticking your extremities into moving fan blades :)

Cheers

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
LMFAO!

I've done exactly the same on several occasions. Damn it hurtz!

My favourite trick is to stop each fan individually trying to ascertain which is making all the noise and invariably I almost chop half a finger off in the process.

As for the horrendous noise, it's more than likely that you just need a new fan.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hey, everyone. i just got home from skool, and flunking a test... needless to say, i was pretty pissed off. but i got on here, and i read everyone's posts, and i was cracking up laughing. i just wanted to thank everyone for rescuing my day.

well, to explain myself, the fan was yelling at me, and i was like, "oh, sh*t, it must be overheating!" so i was trying to feel the general heat, and, *BRZZZZZT* there go a couple of layers of my finger skin. it was so funny, i felt so stupid.

so, moral of the story is, i'm glad that i DON'T have big, evil, pointy aftermarket cooling, because i probably wouldn't be typing rite now if i did. lol.

and thanks, everyone, for saving my day.

p.s. yumi_cheeseman, that vid was hilarious.

the fan isn't roaring rite now, so whatever. i think my finger is okay, too. heh.