Latest Virtual PC

subject matter

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Can you please advise me on which is the latest version of the Windows virtual PC avaialble from Microsoft for Win 7 ultimate 64 bit environment?

and can this take a Win 7 32 bit home or a Win XP prof(SP3) as guests?

With Windows 7 64-bit Pro version and above (including Ultimate), you can install and run a Windows XP Pro virtual machine.

It runs in its own isolated environment. It needs its own virus scanner and other software.

I use this at the office as most of the company is on XP and I test for compatibility in Windows 7 and use the virtual PC for legacy apps that won't run in Windows 7.

It works great. The only drawback is you have only one virtual instance at a time at your disposal using this software:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
personally ive got win7 x64 professional and i perfer to use virtualbox than the microsoft offering, you can link them together in the same way really easily as well as microsoft's built in virtual machine

plus you can play arround with other operating systems in it for example i got a debian and xp virtual machine

subject matter

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

then what is virtual pc 2007?

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
The newest VPC is mainly for emulating XP, mainly with the Pro versions that include an XP VM for legacy purposes.

MS VPC 2007 tends to be good with MS stuff. Otherwise, use Virtualbox. btw you cannot use linux under vpc.