Driver Fail Windows 7 won't boot or repair

JoMo87

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
My friend has had this laptop for the past year or so, March 2010; and just recently her laptop decided to stop booting. Every time I try to boot windows it gives me a BSOD. All I have is the boot/repair disk from 2010; however it isn't working properly when I try to repair the OS or boot from the disk. It's a toshiba and it came with a repair program, but it also removes data on the HDD. Is there a link to a proper boot disk that I can maybe download to a flash drive and boot from there and repair? Or is there at least an easy way to pull the information off of her HDD before using the Toshiba program? Is it possible to just plug in the laptop to my computer, turn it on and access it from my personal computer? I also have an OEM version of Windows 7 from when I built my own computer, can I use that to repair her OS or will it recognize that it's not the same computer and fail? I know, lots of questions, you don't have to answer them in sequence, just tell me what would work best :).

Note: She does NOT have a restore point on her laptop, I was able to get that far on my own before I decided to ask on this forum.

Solution
Can the laptop boot to safe mode - if yes several checks and repairs can be done.

If not repairs can be done booting the repair disk and going to repair - command prompt.

1. chkdsk - check disk
2. sfc/scannow - scan and repair system files
3. Startup repair (up to three consecutive times with rebooting)

If things do not get better - inplace reinstallation.

User files should be copied (saved) before that to external media just in case of disaster.

Use command line and copy(xcpoy) user files.

On reinstallation some user settings will be lost and set to default.

Last is full reinstallation - check that really all user files have been saved to external media and are readable !

roald

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Simplest would be to boot from your Windows 7 DVD. Reinstall Windows using the key provided with the laptop. Should be able to install over an existing Windows copy without losing files.

Taking the harddisk out and connecting it to a different pc to backup the files and then putting it back in the laptop and using the recovery would also be an option i guess, but as i said the first option seems simpler to me ;)

boyans

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Can the laptop boot to safe mode - if yes several checks and repairs can be done.

If not repairs can be done booting the repair disk and going to repair - command prompt.

1. chkdsk - check disk
2. sfc/scannow - scan and repair system files
3. Startup repair (up to three consecutive times with rebooting)

If things do not get better - inplace reinstallation.

User files should be copied (saved) before that to external media just in case of disaster.

Use command line and copy(xcpoy) user files.

On reinstallation some user settings will be lost and set to default.

Last is full reinstallation - check that really all user files have been saved to external media and are readable !

Solution

JoMo87

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Running chkdsk I get after a series of tests, I get 0 kb in bad sectors; rest seems rather inapplicable. Final line is "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50". Sfc/scannow gives me there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again. However I did restart and just got the same message again. Start up repair gives me a notice saying Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions (sent every time).

Problem details as follows:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200954
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 39
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

There isn't much on the computer, in terms of documents, but there are several programs that she doesn't want to lose. I can grab the documents easily, but if I reinstall the OS will the programs be lost as well?