MSI mobo 975x troubleshoot (new system)

alavinus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Yet another 975 power up edition question
I ordered the parts and am buidling a another pc. Once I completed the intial build, the mobo wouldn't post. I called tech support for msi and they advised the bios shipped with the mobo was not compatible with the conroe core (E6600) They shipped the new bios and I installed that last night but no success. I have tried different memory module, different praphice card, a boot out out of case all with no luck. Does anybody have any additional ideas? Thanks!

Pentium C2D E6600
ATI 1950 Pro grpahics card,
MSI power edition 975x mobo
2x 1 GB sticks OCZ SOE DDR2 RAM
Thermaltake 500 watt psu

Other stuff
2 maddog dvd burners
320 Gb WD harddrive
Creative X-Fi soundcard
another ATI card for crossfire

Some people have had problems with OCZ RAM. A quick look the at customers reviews at Newegg.com shows that people are having different problems with OCZ RAM like no post, or the RAM failing to reach the rated speed.

If you tried other brands of RAM and you still cannot post, then you have a defective mobo and you should get a RMA for it.

I use Corsair RAM for my MSI 975x Platinum. They may be more expensive, but I get no headaches.

alavinus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
More info
All case fans spinning,
drives moving in and out when previously connected,
ati graphics card fan spinning,
cpu fan spinning,
msi 4 led diagnostic thing show no leds after flashing different leds very quickly.
psu fan spinning.

alavinus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Sorry if it wasn't clear but I already had a new BIOS sent from MSI after talking with their tech support. Still did the same thing. I am migrating from and AMD based system and can not swap in an older P4 to test. I also do not have any other DDR2 modules other then the OCZ, but both sticks of that yielded the same results. I do not think both sticks could be bad.

Sorry if it wasn't clear but I already had a new BIOS sent from MSI after talking with their tech support. Still did the same thing.

No, you were quite clear. What I mean is that there could be other problems with the motherboard other than the BIOS.

Can you borrow RAM from someone else just to make sure it isn't the RAM that's giving you problems?

alavinus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I spoke with MSI and am going to be rma'ing the board. I don't have anybody in my area that I know of that I can swap parts with. Thank you for the help though.