Your question

Will Dell PSU Handle PCIe Video Card?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Dell
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 17, 2006 3:00:47 PM

i was thinking of picking up a Dell Dimension on the cheap. Its an AMD X2 system with integrated graphics. I wanted to upgrade the graphics but the system only has a 305W PSU. Does anyone know if I would have any problems with throwing in something like a 7600GT or X800GTO? If so what cards would be recommended for such a weak PSU. Thanks in advance.

More about : dell psu handle pcie video card

a c 413 U Graphics card
November 17, 2006 3:19:12 PM

The first thing you need to do is look at the specifications of the motherboard. Make sure it has a PCI-e x16 slot because many of the cheaper brandname PC with integrated graphics do not have dedicated GPU ports.

If the PC does have a PCI-e x16 slot then the 7600GT should work. At stock speed (either 400MHz or 450MHz Core), it consumes only 35.8w. There are many brands though that sells overclocked versions of thr 7600GT and naturally consume a little more power.

Click the following article:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/power-no...

ATI cards traditionally consume more power than nVidia cards.
November 17, 2006 3:58:15 PM

PC Power and Cooling make beefier Dell-compatible PSUs, but you could expect to pay $100 for 400W, and you have to match your model to a PSU.

Going Dell? Don't do it, just.. don't do it. You will regret it when its time to upgrade.