How long does Dell stock it's batteries ?

February 23, 2005 9:49:06 AM

My friend bought his Dell x30 a few months back. Now he wants to buy
additional batteries, Dell says it end of live !

So once Dell stop the PDA line, it stop producing the battries also ?

Are there alternatives to getting the battries ?
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:22:08 PM

Yep. dell tend to do the "end of life" dance when a product is over 3
months past release. There are plenty of other suppliers eg Mugen and
Ebay sellers - Dell overcharge for their replacement hardware anyway.

http://stores.ebay.com/All-Battery-Inc
http://www.suntekstore.com/pda-batteries-dell-axim-batt...
http://tinyurl.com/5u6py

Cheers - Neil

On 23 Feb 2005 06:49:06 -0800, "flahmeshess"
<dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My friend bought his Dell x30 a few months back. Now he wants to buy
>additional batteries, Dell says it end of live !
>
>So once Dell stop the PDA line, it stop producing the battries also ?
>
>Are there alternatives to getting the battries ?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:40:49 AM

I don't know who he talked to but X30s are nowhere near end of life. They
are still actively marketing them, and the batteries are available at Dell's
site.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?...
End of Life does not happen when the product is still being sold. It rarely
happens before the last one out the door is out of waranty.

"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My friend bought his Dell x30 a few months back. Now he wants to buy
> additional batteries, Dell says it end of live !
>
> So once Dell stop the PDA line, it stop producing the battries also ?
>
> Are there alternatives to getting the battries ?

Related resources
February 24, 2005 12:45:07 AM

Tell your friend if he/she really wants to pay 8 times for a DELL OEM
battery, then call back and get a different overseas support person or just
go to the dell web site. They are still there. ($55).

"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My friend bought his Dell x30 a few months back. Now he wants to buy
> additional batteries, Dell says it end of live !
>
> So once Dell stop the PDA line, it stop producing the battries also ?
>
> Are there alternatives to getting the battries ?

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:43:29 AM

The Dell batteries comes with 1 year warranty.

After doing the maths, it seems like the delivery cost for battries
alone can be quite expensive. So if I buy a new Dell, does it make
sense to purchase more spare battries ?

I think the question is how reliable is the Dell battries ? Is there a
high/medium/low chance that the battery is faulty ? I don't want to
start using the spare battery immediately because ....

The last time, I bought my PDA, I bought a spare battery and started
using it at the same time as the original that comes with the PDA. So
what happens is that both die about the same time. I thought I should
have kept the other one until my original shows a little wear out.

My plan is that I'll get 3 more battries. One I used together with my
original x50 battery. After 1 - 1.5 years, I start using the other 2
spares.

Does my plan make sense ?

(If I start charging the battery, I think I need to use it and not
store it, right ?)
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:11:40 AM

1. What is the likelyhood that a new battery is defective ?
2. If I store a battery for 1-1.5 years without opening and using it,
would it be a good as new ?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:06:09 PM

On 24 Feb 2005 00:43:29 -0800, "flahmeshess"
<dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The Dell batteries comes with 1 year warranty.
>
>After doing the maths, it seems like the delivery cost for battries
>alone can be quite expensive. So if I buy a new Dell, does it make
>sense to purchase more spare battries ?

I got an extended batterey free with my X3i on special offer, so I
couldn't possibly comment ;-)

>I think the question is how reliable is the Dell battries ? Is there a
>high/medium/low chance that the battery is faulty ? I don't want to
>start using the spare battery immediately because ....

No problems at all after 1 year, they're very reliable. No loss of
charge capability on either battery, no difficulty charging to 100%.

Just *make sure* the first time you get them, belay your enthusiasm,
plug it in, let it charge to 100% until the greern light comes on. DO
NOT use the device until its battery is completely charged.

This might take 4 hours or more, but it's worth it for long-term
battery life.

Cheers - Neil

>The last time, I bought my PDA, I bought a spare battery and started
>using it at the same time as the original that comes with the PDA. So
>what happens is that both die about the same time. I thought I should
>have kept the other one until my original shows a little wear out.
>
>My plan is that I'll get 3 more battries. One I used together with my
>original x50 battery. After 1 - 1.5 years, I start using the other 2
>spares.

If you're concerned about 'wearing them out' I'd cycle them in turn -
letting a battery drain (they lose 1-2% charge a day) and leaving it
drained is apparently detrimental to their long term life.

>Does my plan make sense ?

Naw, after 1.5 years, your device will be 'obsolete' and you'll need
new batteries for the replacement anyway !

Cheers - Neil

>(If I start charging the battery, I think I need to use it and not
>store it, right ?)

Yup
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:56:30 PM

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> Just *make sure* the first time you get them, belay your enthusiasm,
> plug it in, let it charge to 100% until the greern light comes on. DO
> NOT use the device until its battery is completely charged.
>
> This might take 4 hours or more, but it's worth it for long-term
> battery life.
>
> Cheers - Neil

Why is this? I once read up on the care and feeding of NiCds, but I
don't know much about newer battery technology. So I don't know why that
initial charge is so important to long-term battery life.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

On 24 Feb 2005 04:11:40 -0800, "flahmeshess"
<dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote:

>1. What is the likelyhood that a new battery is defective ?

Slight

>2. If I store a battery for 1-1.5 years without opening and using it,
>would it be a good as new ?

Possibly, though I bet the price will have come down by then (or you
can get one from a 2nd source much cheaper)

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:14:48 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:56:30 -0500, dvt <dvt_spam@psu.edu> wrote:

>Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> > Just *make sure* the first time you get them, belay your enthusiasm,
>> plug it in, let it charge to 100% until the greern light comes on. DO
>> NOT use the device until its battery is completely charged.
>>
>> This might take 4 hours or more, but it's worth it for long-term
>> battery life.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>
>Why is this? I once read up on the care and feeding of NiCds, but I
>don't know much about newer battery technology. So I don't know why that
>initial charge is so important to long-term battery life.

I don't know the specific physico-chemical reason but it's probably to
do with ion migration pathways. The 'memory effect' common for NiCd
doesn't apply, there's a different process at work for LiIon :

Have a look here : the last reference seems the most complete.

http://www.cellpower.com/battery_tips.cfm
http://www.laptopbattery.net/laptopbatteries_LI.html
http://criepi.denken.or.jp/en/e_publication/a1996/96sei...
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 3:44:01 PM

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> I don't know the specific physico-chemical reason but it's probably to
> do with ion migration pathways. The 'memory effect' common for NiCd
> doesn't apply, there's a different process at work for LiIon :
>
> Have a look here : the last reference seems the most complete.
>
> http://www.cellpower.com/battery_tips.cfm
> http://www.laptopbattery.net/laptopbatteries_LI.html
> http://criepi.denken.or.jp/en/e_publication/a1996/96sei...

Thanks for giving me the links. I'll take a look at them and educate myself.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Actually, this is much much better - it's direct from the manufacturer
of a charging system and explains it in real clear language :

http://www.eetasia.com/ARTICLES/2004DEC/A/2004DEC15_POW...

Cheers - Neil

!