Installing XP from another Partition or Hard Drive (2)

Okay, let me ask another question:

I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
drive.

When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe

I get the XP setup menu.
I choose to do a clean install of XP.
I agree to the licence.
I am asked to enter my CD code.

At this point I stop and wonder the following:

1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
clean install from my winxp folder?
2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
later on?

I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
tried it, successfully.

Thanks.

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

1. Yes
2. Yes and Yes

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Okay, let me ask another question:

I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
drive.

When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe

I get the XP setup menu.
I choose to do a clean install of XP.
I agree to the licence.
I am asked to enter my CD code.

At this point I stop and wonder the following:

1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
clean install from my winxp folder?
2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
later on?

I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
tried it, successfully.

Thanks.

I am still experimenting with installing XP from my D drive.
I ran the setup to the point of copying files to my drive.

It did not format my c drive (I looked for an option).
Now I have a boot menu (Windows ME or Windows XP Setup).

Obviously, Windows XP was going to install alongside of Windows ME.
I wanted to do a clean install, formatting C drive first.

Questions:

How do I get rid of the boot menu?

"justme" <banspam@BAN.com> wrote in message
> 1. Yes
> 2. Yes and Yes
>
> "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, let me ask another question:
>
> I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
> I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
> drive.
>
> When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe
>
> I get the XP setup menu.
> I choose to do a clean install of XP.
> I agree to the licence.
> I am asked to enter my CD code.
>
> At this point I stop and wonder the following:
>
> 1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
> clean install from my winxp folder?
> 2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
> only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
> later on?
>
> I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
> tried it, successfully.
>

> Thanks.

Answered my own question:

used "sys c:" to get rid of it

Still trying to figure out how to do a clean install from my HD or another
partition.

Any suggestions (other than booting from the XP CD) would be much
appreciated.