Installing XP from another Partition or Hard Drive (2)

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Hard Drives
December 24, 2004 3:45:06 PM

Okay, let me ask another question:

I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
drive.

When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe

I get the XP setup menu.
I choose to do a clean install of XP.
I agree to the licence.
I am asked to enter my CD code.

At this point I stop and wonder the following:

1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
clean install from my winxp folder?
2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
later on?

I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
tried it, successfully.

Thanks.

More about : installing partition hard drive

December 24, 2004 11:22:38 PM

1. Yes
2. Yes and Yes

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o CjWSEf6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Okay, let me ask another question:

I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
drive.

When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe

I get the XP setup menu.
I choose to do a clean install of XP.
I agree to the licence.
I am asked to enter my CD code.

At this point I stop and wonder the following:

1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
clean install from my winxp folder?
2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
later on?

I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
tried it, successfully.

Thanks.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:33:11 PM

I am still experimenting with installing XP from my D drive.
I ran the setup to the point of copying files to my drive.

It did not format my c drive (I looked for an option).
Now I have a boot menu (Windows ME or Windows XP Setup).

Obviously, Windows XP was going to install alongside of Windows ME.
I wanted to do a clean install, formatting C drive first.

Questions:

How do I get rid of the boot menu?

"justme" <banspam@BAN.com> wrote in message
> 1. Yes
> 2. Yes and Yes
>
> "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o CjWSEf6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Okay, let me ask another question:
>
> I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
> I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
> drive.
>
> When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe
>
> I get the XP setup menu.
> I choose to do a clean install of XP.
> I agree to the licence.
> I am asked to enter my CD code.
>
> At this point I stop and wonder the following:
>
> 1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
> clean install from my winxp folder?
> 2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
> only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
> later on?
>
> I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
> tried it, successfully.
>

> Thanks.

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:43:55 PM

Answered my own question:

used "sys c:" to get rid of it

Still trying to figure out how to do a clean install from my HD or another
partition.

Any suggestions (other than booting from the XP CD) would be much
appreciated.