Installing XP from another Partition or Hard Drive (2)

Okay, let me ask another question:

I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
drive.

When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe

I get the XP setup menu.
I choose to do a clean install of XP.
I agree to the licence.
I am asked to enter my CD code.

At this point I stop and wonder the following:

1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
clean install from my winxp folder?
2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
later on?

I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
tried it, successfully.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about installing partition hard drive

    1. Yes
    2. Yes and Yes

    "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Okay, let me ask another question:

    I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
    I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
    drive.

    When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe

    I get the XP setup menu.
    I choose to do a clean install of XP.
    I agree to the licence.
    I am asked to enter my CD code.

    At this point I stop and wonder the following:

    1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
    clean install from my winxp folder?
    2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
    only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
    later on?

    I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
    tried it, successfully.

    Thanks.

    I am still experimenting with installing XP from my D drive.
    I ran the setup to the point of copying files to my drive.

    It did not format my c drive (I looked for an option).
    Now I have a boot menu (Windows ME or Windows XP Setup).

    Obviously, Windows XP was going to install alongside of Windows ME.
    I wanted to do a clean install, formatting C drive first.

    Questions:

    How do I get rid of the boot menu?

    "justme" <banspam@BAN.com> wrote in message
    > 1. Yes
    > 2. Yes and Yes
    >
    > "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, let me ask another question:
    >
    > I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
    > I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
    > drive.
    >
    > When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe
    >
    > I get the XP setup menu.
    > I choose to do a clean install of XP.
    > I agree to the licence.
    > I am asked to enter my CD code.
    >
    > At this point I stop and wonder the following:
    >
    > 1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do a
    > clean install from my winxp folder?
    > 2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this affect
    > only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
    > later on?
    >
    > I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else has
    > tried it, successfully.
    >

    > Thanks.

    Answered my own question:

    used "sys c:" to get rid of it

    Still trying to figure out how to do a clean install from my HD or another
    partition.

    Any suggestions (other than booting from the XP CD) would be much
    appreciated.

    > I am still experimenting with installing XP from my D drive.
    > I ran the setup to the point of copying files to my drive.
    >
    > It did not format my c drive (I looked for an option).
    > Now I have a boot menu (Windows ME or Windows XP Setup).
    >
    > Obviously, Windows XP was going to install alongside of Windows ME.
    > I wanted to do a clean install, formatting C drive first.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > How do I get rid of the boot menu?
    >

    > "justme" <banspam@BAN.com> wrote in message
    > > 1. Yes
    > > 2. Yes and Yes
    > >
    > > "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Okay, let me ask another question:
    > >
    > > I have Windows 98 running on C drive.
    > > I have copied all files from my XP install CD to a folder (winxp) on D
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > When I go to Start/Run and type - D:\winxp\setup.exe
    > >
    > > I get the XP setup menu.
    > > I choose to do a clean install of XP.
    > > I agree to the licence.
    > > I am asked to enter my CD code.
    > >
    > > At this point I stop and wonder the following:
    > >
    > > 1. Does getting to this point indicate that I'll be able to actually do
    > > clean install from my winxp folder?
    > > 2. If yes, whether I choose to format or change to NTFS, will this
    affect
    > > only C drive, and will the files on D drive (FAT32) still be accessible
    > > later on?
    > >
    > > I'll probably try this later today, but wanted to know if anyone else
    has
    > > tried it, successfully.
    > >

    > > Thanks.

Windows XP Hard Drives