AMD Postpones 4X4 and Layoffs?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Cuts are expected, there is always fallouts from acquistions and mergers, nothing big there...

4x4... still vaporware, AMD still hasn't release actual info and I don't trust the Inquirer at all...

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
AMD employees have been quoted as saying they are going to BK.... FOR LUNCH!

Also in the news:

Chuck Norris once tried to sue Burger King after they refused to put
razor wire in his Whopper Jr., insisting that that actually is "his" way.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Cuts are expected, there is always fallouts from acquistions and mergers, nothing big there...

4x4... still vaporware, AMD still hasn't release actual info and I don't trust the Inquirer at all...

4x4is not VaporWare. I played with AlienWare's machine and nVidia demoed it at their last conference. All of the specs have been released for the mobos and the chips.

I would think that they needa few more weeks to get more boards and chips ready. These are "remade" chips with a 1207 socket.

I would say they will be ready for the XMas rush afetr Thanksgiving.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

4x4is not VaporWare. I played with AlienWare's machine and nVidia demoed it at their last conference. All of the specs have been released for the mobos and the chips.

I would think that they needa few more weeks to get more boards and chips ready. These are "remade" chips with a 1207 socket.

Until it's available for purchase in the channel it's vaporware in my opinion...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Until it's available for purchase in the channel it's vaporware in my opinion...

Vaporware is usually reservedfor something that has been officially released, but not available. 4x4 hasn't been officially released.

I would call it an unreleased product, but then I think we should

ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!

So you may want to get a second opinion.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Probably already posted...

4X4 Postponed:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35740

AMD to Layoff workers:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/16028556.htm

Poor AMD :(

I know they're number 2 in SuperComputers second only to a few 1000 Itaniums.

They still own the TPC-H benchmark.

Every company that merges lays off redundant employees. Microsoft bought a company i worked for and tons of people got layed off. Mostly sales/marketing as usually happens.

Rich AMD!! :D

Also, MS builds all X64 apps with Opteron, including Windows.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
FUD.png

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006

So what? Almost nobody uses super computers. It is a small market.

Irrelevant. Practical usage is more important. If you want to get into benchmarks, Intel owns all others.

Ok? And this means....?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

So what? Almost nobody uses super computers. It is a small market.

Irrelevant. Practical usage is more important. If you want to get into benchmarks, Intel owns all others.

Ok? And this means....?

It all means that AMD is a good company that isn't going anywhere, regardless of Core 2. Thsoe thinsg mean that when it comes down to it, any bank would loan them billions if they really needed it.

The semiconductor industry revenue for next year is said to be $300 Billion. I think AMD will make enough to keep the lights on.

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
It all means that AMD is a good company that isn't going anywhere, regardless of Core 2.

You are right. Especially after the delay in the 4X4, the layoffs, and no answer to the Conroe: Amd isn't going anywhere.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I really don't understand the AMD haters around here, it's as if AMD personally came into their houses and made their Pentium 4's hot and slow. Why jump the bandwagon of a company like Intel who tried to brainwash the general public into thinking a PC wouldn't function unless it has "Intel Inside", and has been telling the end user what they need for years. It's like screaming the praises of Rumsfield and Cheney! I admit the C2D is the fastest thing, but why does that make AMD bad? And if AMD hadn't whooped up on Intel for a couple of years, there wouldn't be any C2D, as Intel changed their roadmap and backtracked after getting their faces rubbed in their own excrement.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I really don't understand the AMD haters around here, it's as if AMD personally came into their houses and made their Pentium 4's hot and slow.

The AMD haters as you call them - are more like AMD fanboy haters -

Like your (very old joke) P4 hot and slow joke. When all else fails, make fun of the P4. Ha! Ha! you're so clever.

How many Intel fanboys have been banned this year? I can't think of any.

How many AMD fanboys have been banned? 9-inch, Shariboo, MMM,
MrsD (maybe)

How many threads get locked that are started by AMD fanboys?
AMD > Intel.

How can anything compare to the (anti-Intel) Shar-boob blog.

But, you say, I don't understand the AMD haters around here.
Give me a break!

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
I really don't understand the AMD haters around here, it's as if AMD personally came into their houses and made their Pentium 4's hot and slow. Why jump the bandwagon of a company like Intel who tried to brainwash the general public into thinking a PC wouldn't function unless it has "Intel Inside", and has been telling the end user what they need for years. It's like screaming the praises of Rumsfield and Cheney! I admit the C2D is the fastest thing, but why does that make AMD bad? And if AMD hadn't whooped up on Intel for a couple of years, there wouldn't be any C2D, as Intel changed their roadmap and backtracked after getting their faces rubbed in their own excrement.

I don't think AMD is bad at all. I like AMD and I cheer for the underdog! I want AMD to do better they they are. The thing is Im not going to tell people to buy AMD unless they can get a price/performance CPU from AMD. One thing is that BM is running around shouting and ranting about AMD all the time and it is sicking. Why buy a CPU that performs less then the competitors CPU. Just because AMD is the underdog? I don't think so. If you personal want to make that choice that's fine but don't miss inform people about CPU products just so AMD can get some more cash!

And your right AMD has been on top for a long time now and its time for them to take a backseat and get something that is better in the price/performance arena. Until then I will inform people to buy the C2D if they ask what to buy at the moment!

U238

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
It all means that AMD is a good company that isn't going anywhere, regardless of Core 2.

You are right. Especially after the delay in the 4X4, the layoffs, and no answer to the Conroe: Amd isn't going anywhere.

Haha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
I really don't understand the AMD haters around here, it's as if AMD personally came into their houses and made their Pentium 4's hot and slow.

The AMD haters as you call them - are more like AMD fanboy haters -

Like your (very old joke) P4 hot and slow joke. When all else fails, make fun of the P4. Ha! Ha! you're so clever.

How many Intel fanboys have been banned this year? I can't think of any.

How many AMD fanboys have been banned? 9-inch, Shariboo, MMM,
MrsD (maybe)

How many threads get locked that are started by AMD fanboys?
AMD > Intel.

How can anything compare to the (anti-Intel) Shar-boob blog.

But, you say, I don't understand the AMD haters around here.
Give me a break!

I hate both AMD and Intel Fanboys. I cant stand someone that cant see that price/performance is where its at (or budget or top of the line). If a Intel Fanboy started talking sh!t I would correct them. However Intel has the upper hand so its hard to tell who the fanboys are!

Look at history and look at posts. Then its easy to see. I presonally lean towars Intel. In so saying some AMDroid is going to dig this up and proclaim this as a lack of credibility on my part. But I'm not adverse to buying AMD. Hell, I spent $2K on a Turion X2 just to get one.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Thsoe thinsg mean that when it comes down to it, any bank would loan them billions if they really needed it.

They would get a loan if they needed it (heaven help the shareholders should such a need arise), but it certainly not because of Super COmputer bragging rights, one benchmark, of the preferences of MSoft's IT dept.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Look at history and look at posts. Then its easy to see. I presonally lean towars Intel. In so saying some AMDroid is going to dig this up and proclaim this as a lack of credibility on my part. But I'm not adverse to buying AMD. Hell, I spent $2K on a Turion X2 just to get one.

Why would you lean one way or the other? Don't you look at price/performance to make a decision? Why pick a CPU that is overpriced or under performing? Just because its made by Intel? I think that's messed up!

I'm not price to performance minded, I'm straight up performance minded. Before my string of Core 2's my previous rig was a FX. There is no0thing wrong in having a preference. Just don't let it cloud your judgement.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
I'm not price to performance minded, I'm straight up performance minded. Before my string of Core 2's my previous rig was a FX. There is no0thing wrong in having a preference. Just don't let it cloud your judgement.

Thats understandable. IF you have the money. Which it looks like you do.

By the way I hate you! :p