Sign in with
Your question

AMD Postpones 4X4 and Layoffs?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2006 5:33:36 PM

Cuts are expected, there is always fallouts from acquistions and mergers, nothing big there...

4x4... still vaporware, AMD still hasn't release actual info and I don't trust the Inquirer at all...
November 17, 2006 5:48:38 PM

AMD employees have been quoted as saying they are going to BK.... FOR LUNCH!
Related resources
November 17, 2006 6:15:23 PM

Quote:
I didn't know they sold "humble pie" there. :lol: 
November 17, 2006 6:17:22 PM

Quote:

Also in the news:

Chuck Norris once tried to sue Burger King after they refused to put
razor wire in his Whopper Jr., insisting that that actually is "his" way.
November 17, 2006 6:21:54 PM

Quote:
Cuts are expected, there is always fallouts from acquistions and mergers, nothing big there...

4x4... still vaporware, AMD still hasn't release actual info and I don't trust the Inquirer at all...

4x4is not VaporWare. I played with AlienWare's machine and nVidia demoed it at their last conference. All of the specs have been released for the mobos and the chips.

I would think that they needa few more weeks to get more boards and chips ready. These are "remade" chips with a 1207 socket.

I would say they will be ready for the XMas rush afetr Thanksgiving.
November 17, 2006 6:32:14 PM

Quote:

4x4is not VaporWare. I played with AlienWare's machine and nVidia demoed it at their last conference. All of the specs have been released for the mobos and the chips.

I would think that they needa few more weeks to get more boards and chips ready. These are "remade" chips with a 1207 socket.

Until it's available for purchase in the channel it's vaporware in my opinion...
November 17, 2006 6:48:18 PM

Quote:

Until it's available for purchase in the channel it's vaporware in my opinion...

Vaporware is usually reservedfor something that has been officially released, but not available. 4x4 hasn't been officially released.

I would call it an unreleased product, but then I think we should

ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!

So you may want to get a second opinion.
November 17, 2006 7:08:54 PM

Poor AMD :( 

I know they're number 2 in SuperComputers second only to a few 1000 Itaniums.

They still own the TPC-H benchmark.

Every company that merges lays off redundant employees. Microsoft bought a company i worked for and tons of people got layed off. Mostly sales/marketing as usually happens.

Rich AMD!! :D 

Also, MS builds all X64 apps with Opteron, including Windows.
November 17, 2006 7:47:30 PM

Quote:

So what? Almost nobody uses super computers. It is a small market.

Quote:

Irrelevant. Practical usage is more important. If you want to get into benchmarks, Intel owns all others.

Quote:

Ok? And this means....?
November 17, 2006 7:52:47 PM

Quote:

So what? Almost nobody uses super computers. It is a small market.

Quote:

Irrelevant. Practical usage is more important. If you want to get into benchmarks, Intel owns all others.

Quote:

Ok? And this means....?

It all means that AMD is a good company that isn't going anywhere, regardless of Core 2. Thsoe thinsg mean that when it comes down to it, any bank would loan them billions if they really needed it.

The semiconductor industry revenue for next year is said to be $300 Billion. I think AMD will make enough to keep the lights on.
November 17, 2006 8:06:26 PM

Quote:

It all means that AMD is a good company that isn't going anywhere, regardless of Core 2.

You are right. Especially after the delay in the 4X4, the layoffs, and no answer to the Conroe: Amd isn't going anywhere.
November 17, 2006 8:36:15 PM

I really don't understand the AMD haters around here, it's as if AMD personally came into their houses and made their Pentium 4's hot and slow. Why jump the bandwagon of a company like Intel who tried to brainwash the general public into thinking a PC wouldn't function unless it has "Intel Inside", and has been telling the end user what they need for years. It's like screaming the praises of Rumsfield and Cheney! I admit the C2D is the fastest thing, but why does that make AMD bad? And if AMD hadn't whooped up on Intel for a couple of years, there wouldn't be any C2D, as Intel changed their roadmap and backtracked after getting their faces rubbed in their own excrement.
November 17, 2006 9:16:25 PM

Quote:

It all means that AMD is a good company that isn't going anywhere, regardless of Core 2. .

I agree!
November 17, 2006 9:27:28 PM

Quote:
I really don't understand the AMD haters around here, it's as if AMD personally came into their houses and made their Pentium 4's hot and slow.

The AMD haters as you call them - are more like AMD fanboy haters -

Like your (very old joke) P4 hot and slow joke. When all else fails, make fun of the P4. Ha! Ha! you're so clever.

How many Intel fanboys have been banned this year? I can't think of any.

How many AMD fanboys have been banned? 9-inch, Shariboo, MMM,
MrsD (maybe)

How many threads get locked that are started by AMD fanboys?
AMD > Intel.

How can anything compare to the (anti-Intel) Shar-boob blog.

But, you say, I don't understand the AMD haters around here.
Give me a break!
November 17, 2006 9:28:59 PM

Quote:
I really don't understand the AMD haters around here, it's as if AMD personally came into their houses and made their Pentium 4's hot and slow. Why jump the bandwagon of a company like Intel who tried to brainwash the general public into thinking a PC wouldn't function unless it has "Intel Inside", and has been telling the end user what they need for years. It's like screaming the praises of Rumsfield and Cheney! I admit the C2D is the fastest thing, but why does that make AMD bad? And if AMD hadn't whooped up on Intel for a couple of years, there wouldn't be any C2D, as Intel changed their roadmap and backtracked after getting their faces rubbed in their own excrement.

I don't think AMD is bad at all. I like AMD and I cheer for the underdog! I want AMD to do better they they are. The thing is Im not going to tell people to buy AMD unless they can get a price/performance CPU from AMD. One thing is that BM is running around shouting and ranting about AMD all the time and it is sicking. Why buy a CPU that performs less then the competitors CPU. Just because AMD is the underdog? I don't think so. If you personal want to make that choice that's fine but don't miss inform people about CPU products just so AMD can get some more cash!

And your right AMD has been on top for a long time now and its time for them to take a backseat and get something that is better in the price/performance arena. Until then I will inform people to buy the C2D if they ask what to buy at the moment!
November 17, 2006 9:35:40 PM

Quote:

It all means that AMD is a good company that isn't going anywhere, regardless of Core 2.

You are right. Especially after the delay in the 4X4, the layoffs, and no answer to the Conroe: Amd isn't going anywhere.

Haha! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
November 17, 2006 9:37:15 PM

Quote:
I really don't understand the AMD haters around here, it's as if AMD personally came into their houses and made their Pentium 4's hot and slow.

The AMD haters as you call them - are more like AMD fanboy haters -

Like your (very old joke) P4 hot and slow joke. When all else fails, make fun of the P4. Ha! Ha! you're so clever.

How many Intel fanboys have been banned this year? I can't think of any.

How many AMD fanboys have been banned? 9-inch, Shariboo, MMM,
MrsD (maybe)

How many threads get locked that are started by AMD fanboys?
AMD > Intel.

How can anything compare to the (anti-Intel) Shar-boob blog.

But, you say, I don't understand the AMD haters around here.
Give me a break!

I hate both AMD and Intel Fanboys. I cant stand someone that cant see that price/performance is where its at (or budget or top of the line). If a Intel Fanboy started talking sh!t I would correct them. However Intel has the upper hand so its hard to tell who the fanboys are!
November 17, 2006 9:44:52 PM

Look at history and look at posts. Then its easy to see. I presonally lean towars Intel. In so saying some AMDroid is going to dig this up and proclaim this as a lack of credibility on my part. But I'm not adverse to buying AMD. Hell, I spent $2K on a Turion X2 just to get one.
November 17, 2006 9:54:23 PM

Quote:
Thsoe thinsg mean that when it comes down to it, any bank would loan them billions if they really needed it.

They would get a loan if they needed it (heaven help the shareholders should such a need arise), but it certainly not because of Super COmputer bragging rights, one benchmark, of the preferences of MSoft's IT dept.
November 17, 2006 9:55:02 PM

Quote:
Look at history and look at posts. Then its easy to see. I presonally lean towars Intel. In so saying some AMDroid is going to dig this up and proclaim this as a lack of credibility on my part. But I'm not adverse to buying AMD. Hell, I spent $2K on a Turion X2 just to get one.

Why would you lean one way or the other? Don't you look at price/performance to make a decision? Why pick a CPU that is overpriced or under performing? Just because its made by Intel? I think that's messed up!
November 17, 2006 10:04:36 PM

I'm not price to performance minded, I'm straight up performance minded. Before my string of Core 2's my previous rig was a FX. There is no0thing wrong in having a preference. Just don't let it cloud your judgement.
November 17, 2006 10:32:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not price to performance minded, I'm straight up performance minded. Before my string of Core 2's my previous rig was a FX. There is no0thing wrong in having a preference. Just don't let it cloud your judgement.

Thats understandable. IF you have the money. Which it looks like you do.

By the way I hate you! :p 
November 17, 2006 10:33:41 PM

Quote:

ALL FANBOYS = GAYS

Simple

Hey whats wrong with gay people? I don't mind them at all. Your sexual prefrence is your own.

:p 
November 17, 2006 10:34:01 PM

Meh. You only get one.
November 17, 2006 11:41:53 PM

Quote:

Why would you lean one way or the other? Don't you look at price/performance to make a decision? Why pick a CPU that is overpriced or under performing? Just because its made by Intel? I think that's messed up!

Actually, I chose AMD as my company and I will be buying an Athlon 64 X2 even though Intel has faster processors. It's not all about who has the fastest processor at the moment, not for me.

I appreciate Intel and AMD would not be who they are without them. I think the Intel upper management is smart enough to realize that AMD is a good thing for them also.

So you see, we are people and we make choices as human beings not as some kind of biological maximizing functions.

In choosing AMD, I am choosing to believe they will make something wonderful. I don't need to choose Intel, they are huge and will do well without me. See how that works? People are complicated. I go with what I feel inside. I might choose Intel for a system I build for a friend but my heart is with AMD and it doesn't have to make sense.

I will go as far to say that I suspect Intel might help AMD were they to get too far behind. Intel doesn't want to be a monopoly, they are just a little bit smarter than that.

You see, humility and humanity is good business.
November 17, 2006 11:43:58 PM

That my friends is deep.
November 18, 2006 12:20:12 AM

Quote:

yes but they have been #2 for what 6 months or a little more.
amd was #1 for what the last 2 years or more.

in other words intel is what amd was.

(the best price/performance cpu out today)

but in the computer world a day isnt 24hrs. :lol: 
November 18, 2006 12:49:53 AM

Keyword FANBOYS.....

who cares?

wes
November 18, 2006 1:12:29 AM

Quote:
didnt i hear some AMD fanboys tease Intel for layoff's at one stage? aswell as delays?

Don't forget lawsuits:

Quote:
The company asserts that its three patents on "predictive snooping of cache memory for master-initiated accesses" were infringed by AMD, which allegedly made, sold and offered chips and core logic products based on the predictive snooping technology.

"We notified (AMD) four years ago that they were violating our patents and how they were doing it," Marren said. "They use our technology in their Opteron processors and other processors."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6136585.html

I'm not saying that this case has merit & will hold, but the same can be said about AMD's suit against Intel. Every large company is going to have delays, layoffs and lawsuits.
November 18, 2006 2:23:33 AM

Quote:

Actually, I chose AMD as my company and I will be buying an Athlon 64 X2 even though Intel has faster processors. It's not all about who has the fastest processor at the moment, not for me.

You should of stop here. Speed is not everything, as long as it's
within reason, and how you use the computer. I have no problem
with brand loyality. But, to a point.
Quote:

So you see, we are people and we make choices as human beings not as some kind of biological maximizing functions.

I'm turming a little pale..
Quote:

In choosing AMD, I am choosing to believe they will make something wonderful.

I'm going to puke :oops: 
Quote:

I go with what I feel inside. I might choose Intel for a system I build for a friend but my heart is with AMD and it doesn't have to make sense.

Puking some more. :oops:  :oops: 
Did you buy a computerized blowup doll - that had a sticker on it.
AMD inside -
Quote:

Where does AMD show humility and humanity.
Listen - I almost always go for the underdog - I love it - when the cinderalla team wins the NCAA basketball tournament. Being an
underdog company does NOT give them the human quality of humility.
and the humanity virtue - WTF - does there proceeds go to the poor?

Sorry for the teasing. I just get tired of hearing, Intel the big bad company, (I sometimes feel that way towards microsoft), I want more
choice. And AMD - it's holy than thou BS.

Repeat after me, it's only a conputer, it's only a computer.
Big business Sucks! - I think so. Do you really believe, AMD wouldn't stick it to Intel, if they had a chance? Do you really believe, AMD doesn't
do some marketing BS? Do you really believe, AMD will never hurt anyone, because of a business decision? Like laying people off, after buying their company? Opps. Done that. Of course, they did.
It's Business.
November 18, 2006 3:32:46 AM

Quote:

I appreciate Intel and AMD would not be who they are without them. I think the Intel upper management is smart enough to realize that AMD is a good thing for them also.

In choosing AMD, I am choosing to believe they will make something wonderful. I don't need to choose Intel, they are huge and will do well without me. See how that works? People are complicated. I go with what I feel inside. I might choose Intel for a system I build for a friend but my heart is with AMD and it doesn't have to make sense.

I will go as far to say that I suspect Intel might help AMD were they to get too far behind. Intel doesn't want to be a monopoly, they are just a little bit smarter than that.

Very well put. I like what you have to say and your right. One thing that I want to make clear is that when I inform people about a product, I will always choice to inform them about price/performance and what I consider a Fanboy to be, is a person that spouts bull about a product trying to sway a person to buy said product. I think that is great that you back AMD like you do but don't think I wont tell people that your full of crap if you start stretching the Truth or mislead a person in a buying decision, You haven't from what I have seen of your posts.

Also I would like to point out that I don't have as much trust in the Capitalist system as you do RIGHT NOW but at its best that is what Capitalism is all about.
November 18, 2006 4:25:43 AM

I think you need your head examined when you start to personally identifiy with a product or company that for all intended purposes doesn't give a crap about what you "fanboy" or not thinks of their product. Fanboys are product whores who market for free.
November 18, 2006 4:34:36 AM

Quote:
AMD inside -

Do they have those? 8O
November 18, 2006 4:34:48 AM

Believe it or not, some actually get payed.
November 18, 2006 4:54:38 AM

Quote:
I think you need your head examined when you start to personally identifiy with a product or company that for all intended purposes doesn't give a crap about what you "fanboy" or not thinks of their product. Fanboys are product whores who market for free.
I guess you're a "fanboy" too, then. By listing all your specs in your sig...you're advertising for those companies too. Sorry to wreck your "holier than thou" ego. :tongue:
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2006 5:31:15 AM

Quote:

You should of stop here. Speed is not everything, as long as it's
within reason, and how you use the computer. I have no problem
with brand loyality. But, to a point.
Quote:

I'm turming a little pale..
Quote:

In choosing AMD, I am choosing to believe they will make something wonderful.

I'm going to puke :oops: 
Quote:

I go with what I feel inside. I might choose Intel for a system I build for a friend but my heart is with AMD and it doesn't have to make sense.

Puking some more. :oops:  :oops: 
AMD inside -
Quote:

Where does AMD show humility and humanity.
Listen - I almost always go for the underdog - I love it - when the cinderalla team wins the NCAA basketball tournament. Being an
underdog company does NOT give them the human quality of humility.
and the humanity virtue - WTF - does there proceeds go to the poor?

Sorry for the teasing. I just get tired of hearing, Intel the big bad company, (I sometimes feel that way towards microsoft), I want more
choice. And AMD - it's holy than thou BS.

Repeat after me, it's only a conputer, it's only a computer.
Big business Sucks! - I think so. Do you really believe, AMD wouldn't stick it to Intel, if they had a chance? Do you really believe, AMD doesn't
do some marketing BS? Do you really believe, AMD will never hurt anyone, because of a business decision? Like laying people off, after buying their company? Opps. Done that. Of course, they did.
It's Business.
a company

heh fcuk the brands, there both excelent and reliable, if you have all the cash in the world, why not buy the fastest? on the other hand USE YOUR FRIGGIN BRAIN - if an AMD was on the marked within ~10% performance and HALF the price i would buy it over Intel etc - i have a Core 2 Duo at the moment cause AMD doesnt have anything that can clock to 3+ghz on air and perform like a Core 2 Duo (close but at what cost?) at a GOOD price.

:roll:
November 18, 2006 5:37:53 AM

Quote:

Just thought you should know what Wikipedia says a Fanboy or Fanboi is

Quote:
The term originated in comic book circles, to describe someone who immersed himself in the fictional worlds of comics and the culture of comics fandom. The term is often used in a derogatory manner by other less obsessed fans. In the songs of the fannish parody musician Luke Ski, many characters proudly consider themselves fanboys. The term is most commonly associated with adolescent and teen males but can be applicable to any age or sex. Common subjects of reverence by fanboys are TV shows, movies, music, anime, cars, video game consoles, video games, operating systems, MMORPGs, and software companies.

The stereotypical image of the fanboy is as an unkempt, socially awkward, young man who may be perceived as a loud mouthed pseudo-intellectual. A popular depiction of this stereotype is the Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons.

The earliest published uses of the word "fanboy" have been dated to 1982. One reference is to the cover of the "Official Underground and Newave Comix Price Guide". On this cover page are sketched overweight, overzealous comic book collectors wearing T-shirts that state "Fanboys of America," and are describing the extreme measures they would go to, including moving to San Francisco, to preserve their comics. Also published in 1982, a comic strip appeared in Jim Engel and Chuck Fiala's "Fandom Confidential" comic. In the strip, Jim and Chuck met comic artist/writer John Byrne and collapsed into "mindless paroxysms of adoration." The John Byrne character responded that they were "a couple of fanboys in bondage" which was a play on words referring to a Monty Python skit in which an Elizabethan era character reads what she claims to be "'Gayboys in Bondage' by William Shakespeare".[1] Another early use is in a smart-alec editorial reply by "Ambush Bug" to a letter in his comic in 1985.

"Fanboys" remain loyal to their particular obsession, disregarding any factors that differ from their point of view. They are also typically hateful to the opposing brand or competition of their obsession regardless of its merits or achievements.

Quote:
Pseudointellectual is a pejorative term used to describe someone who engages in false intellectualism or is intellectually dishonest. Such may suggest that the practitioner assumes that intellectuals themselves form a privileged elite worthy of any attachment irrespective of its falsehood. The term is often, though not always, used to describe one who regularly critiques the work of professionals, while lacking the requisite background knowledge and experience to have an informed opinion (e.g., an armchair quarterback).

A pseudointellectual may affect traits that he associates with persons of intellectual privilege by displaying objects (typically books, but classical music and art often suffice) that he does not appreciate, enjoy, or understand. But while dropping names of 'respected' figures of cultural achievement, the pseudointellectual frequently deprecates anything that has popularity and accessibility with such words as 'trash', rarely knowing the aesthetic criteria for such judgment.[citation needed]

Blind criticism of popular consumer products and mass market products cannot be considered pseudointellectualism, as most popular products do not profess to appeal to the intellectual. Yet blanket calumnies against popular culture genres generally perceived as intellectualy complex[citation needed], in favor of some older genre solely for its historical age exemplify the actions of a pseudointellectual.[citation needed]

Someone who comments on, or is knowledgeable of, disciplines outside his or her own field of study is not a pseudointellectual, as long as he or she is intellectually honest and does not misrepresent his or her own background and understanding of the subject.[citation needed] For example, polymaths are not considered pseudointellectuals.

A pseudointellectual is not necessarily someone who abuses his or her vocabulary to appear intelligent or highly educated. Real intellectuals may be accused of using complex language for the same reason. For example, writer Michael Crichton is quoted as saying that the medical lexicon is a "highly skilled, calculated attempt to confuse the reader." However, much medical and scientific jargon exists to convey a level of precision beyond that provided by ordinary language.

Furthermore, a pseudointellectual is not necessarily someone lacking an education. A University professor may be accused of being a pseudointellectual if he or she does not adhere to the rules of his or her study. For example, controversial University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill had been accused of being a pseudointellectual because it is alleged that he had made intellectually dishonest arguments and plagiarized others' work.[citation needed]

Moreover, there may be no real test for whether or not someone is a pseudointellectual since there is no universally accepted criteria for being an intellectual.[citation needed]
November 18, 2006 5:41:37 AM

hey dumb nuts(baron) where are the specs for 4X4????

VAPORWARE is all it is.
November 18, 2006 5:58:48 AM

Quote:
hey dumb nuts(baron) where are the specs for 4X4????

VAPORWARE is all it is.

Baron often has trouble with terms, and often does not understand how to apply them.... when a product is promised and it is not delivered, it is vaporware. Duke Nukem Forever is vaporware. As of now, 4x4 is vapor ware (regardless if demo's are available for show and tell), heck 3DRealms showed demo footage of DNF at an E3 in 2001, 5 years later where's Duke??? :) 

Paper launch, another term, means the company has announced it but you cannot buy it anywhere.... Baron was eager to call C2D a paper launch, which of course it wasn't as you were able to buy it the day it was announced.... some stock was low, but within a week or two, pretty much when and where ever you went you could find it.... the 5000+ was a paper launch. The 5200+ was also a paper launch in my book. 4x4, since it has not launched and we do not know the availability will remain vaporware. Upon launch, it will cease to be vaporware and, if it is readily available within a reasonable time say 1-3 weeks, will be a hard launch, beyond that a paper launch (again, in my opinion).

Jack

Well I was running around on Wikipedia I decided to run a search on Vaperware and here is what I got.

Quote:
Vaporware is software or hardware which is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge, either with or without a protracted development cycle. The term implies unwarranted optimism, or sometimes even deception; that is, it may imply that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility.
November 18, 2006 6:12:49 AM

I have not taken the 4x4 product marketing very seriously, I won't be able to afford it anyhow and I think it's mostly a response to Intel's recent developments.

I have not viewed the 4x4 product so much as a product but as a packaging, an extreme gaming platform using existing technology. What I'm interested in is the new AMD technology, their next generation architecture, whatever that is. I have either missed it or it hasn't been reported on because I have no idea where they are going beyond the gpu-in-the-cpu concept that came with the ATI merger.
November 18, 2006 6:32:17 AM

Quote:
I have not taken the 4x4 product marketing very seriously, I won't be able to afford it anyhow and I think it's mostly a response to Intel's recent developments.

I have not viewed the 4x4 product so much as a product but as a packaging, an extreme gaming platform using existing technology. What I'm interested in is the new AMD technology, their next generation architecture, whatever that is. I have either missed it or it hasn't been reported on because I have no idea where they are going beyond the gpu-in-the-cpu concept that came with the ATI merger.

Really it seems at this time that is what they are going for.

Now my guess is that AMD is going for this as hard as they can (example is the buying of ATI) They want to be the first at doing a GPU and a CPU on the same die. And I am hoping that there are some unforeseen improvements on the Architecture. I really have much to back this up with but if they are making this move it might be a good or bad move depending on if it actually makes for a budget computer and if it can improve Gaming in anyway (which AMD has basically said it wont at this time)

AMD has made moves like this in the past such as 64bit, Hyper transporting, Dual core, and the 4x4. And this is what has allowed AMD to buy ATI it just seems like a very complicated set up for something bigger then these things are independent of each other. Once again I say that I have nothing of real substance to back this up with but its just something that I think might happen.

(Explaining why I included the 4x4 as a first; the 4x4 is a set up that is 4 graphic cards and 4 cores working together and well if you can get a Dual Core With a GPU on die in each slot they would already have 2 GPUs (so you would only need 2 PCIe video cards to make the 4x4) and if they can actually get it to work they might be able to fit a Dual Core GPU and CPU on one die (don't know if this is possible or not) And there you have a whole new meaning to 4x4.)
November 18, 2006 8:09:03 AM

Quote:
AMD inside -

Do they have those? 8O

No, it's vaporware. Intel tried it first with their, what are we going
to do with all these hot P4 chips.
Thinking, a hot chip and a fanboy in heat was a good match.
But then some geek, tried to water-cool the damm thing.
Added a fillport and everything. All went well, until his virgin brother
stuck his thing in the wrong place - the fillport,
felt good for the first 5 mins, waterpump and all, unfortunately,
with the tubing all clogged, the P4 heating up the uncirculated water,
the whole thing exploded, and he is now a she, living in sweden
after a huge law suit. As part of the law suit, Intel promise not to
make anymore hot chips, and at last, conroe was born.
November 18, 2006 12:02:36 PM

Quote:

This is the definition of fanboyism. It's the same thing as ATi/nVidia. Each generation the other doesn't have an "answer" (whatever that means) to each's next gen.

X2/FX will still get you the same frame rate. How many people here have X6800? If you don't then you don't have the fastest CPU, even if you have E6700. Since 3800+ - up are all within shouting distance of a new core with 25% more issues means they have the answer already.

Keep selling X2/FX.

<old joke>

What is the difference between a $700 FX62 being beat by an E6400 and a $1000 965EE being beat by the E6300?

Intel fanboyism.

</old joke>

It's actually good that AMD postponed 4x4 so that more DX10 GPUs will get out and their own R600 farther along. It's too bad the low end 8800s are not due out until Jan.

I may wait until then to get my 4x4 system, depending on what the base price is. 8800GTS is at least $450 right now.
November 18, 2006 1:54:17 PM

Quote:

This is the definition of fanboyism. It's the same thing as ATi/nVidia. Each generation the other doesn't have an "answer" (whatever that means) to each's next gen.

X2/FX will still get you the same frame rate. How many people here have X6800? If you don't then you don't have the fastest CPU, even if you have E6700. Since 3800+ - up are all within shouting distance of a new core with 25% more issues means they have the answer already.

Keep selling X2/FX.

<old joke>

What is the difference between a $700 FX62 being beat by an E6400 and a $1000 965EE being beat by the E6300?

Intel fanboyism.

</old joke>

It's actually good that AMD postponed 4x4 so that more DX10 GPUs will get out and their own R600 farther along. It's too bad the low end 8800s are not due out until Jan.

I may wait until then to get my 4x4 system, depending on what the base price is. 8800GTS is at least $450 right now.

You didn't listen at all did you. Its about price to preformace not the performace crown for most people out there looking to buy a computer on this Forum. There are exeptions (DaSickNinja).
November 18, 2006 1:54:50 PM

Quote:

ALL FANBOYS = GAYS

Simple

Hey whats wrong with gay people? I don't mind them at all. Your sexual prefrence is your own.

:p 

ok ill correct it

ALL FANBOYS = LOSSERS

thats better!!!! :D 

Now I agree with you :p 
November 18, 2006 3:50:08 PM

I don't understand the Baron's reply.

with him pushing/buying AMD's 4x4.

Plus, he's talking about me to, in a way.
Because, I'm buying the fastest thing out there, or the
Kentsfield. Does that me me a fanboy? - NO!
Stupid? - kinda. - but I can afford it.
(Not as stupid as someone, paying 7,000 for a PS3 - yesterday.
Today, PS3 are going around 1500.)
It was fun watching Ebay yesterday, to see the jerks competing
to win a PS3, saw 3 auctions close out at 5100, 6000, and 7000.
!