ATI 1950Pro temps high!

qrhetoric

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Hi,

I just put together a new Core 2 Duo E6400 build, my first new computer in 5 years, and everything is running smoothly, except the video cards temp is 65 C. Is that normal? It sounds hot. Will it damage the video card? It's a Sapphire X1950Pro 256 MB Card. The system temp is at 45, and the CPU is also about that.

BTW, I checked this out while doing normal tasks... I wasn't playing any games. And my case is well ventilated: Centurion 5, 80mm in front, 120mm in back.

Any ideas? Thank you! I'm afraid if I play games my card might burn up!
Bruce

i would not worry till it tops 90 or so.....

The cards fan will speed up if it is hot....

Do you notice when u start the card revs up?

If it sounds like that all the time.....or in a game..... then its getting hot...

I suggest you grab riva tuner to check and log the temps....then play some games....I find riva tuner faster and getter than ATI tool for temps...and logging....

If you keep in under 90 you should be fine....

Riva tuner will also show you fan speed and you can see it speed up and slow down with load....

if you have any questions about riva tuner...feel free to pm me.....

Hope this helps....

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Here is the site for Atitool - You can monitor temps, adjust fan speed, oc and so on.
http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Just as Waylander said adding more fans is recommended if your case can fit more fans.

qrhetoric

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
It's funny I did notice that the card goes at high speed for a few seconds when the comp starts up.

I'm really surprised that you say not too worry until it hits 90, but I'll go with that and be happy. I'm not going to bother making a log... I'll just alt tab out during a game and check the temps. Thanks for the reply!

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I have an X1900 AIW card and it seems really hot too. I think these cards just run f'n hot. If you consider the extra power they use...yeah. I put in a Vantec PCI 2-fan cooler I had sitting in the closet under my card. It's loud, but it's blue like my LED's. I set the slider on the lowest setting so it's quieter. Hardware seems to be increasing in power usage and heat output. My raptors get too hot to touch, my video card too. PSU's are getting heavier all the time as well. I mean, when you're running a system on 500+ watts you're going to have heat. I think next time I have to replace the furnace in the basement I'm just going to buy a couple of servers. :p