Sapphire x1900XT @ 91degreesC

EscCtrl

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Is it safe for this card to be this hot? supposedley gets this temperature when im playing games not idle :p

Overclocked it using the ATi control centre's automated overclock facility but after reading 91C im a bit sceptical

thanks

PS stock GPU clock is 625MHz and its been OCed to 689MHz
GPU memory stock is 720Mhz

^NB These are both maximum settings

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
Use ATI tool and turn on the fan speed to maximum, then the temperature will go down, but it will be very loud. If you have money, then go buy some of the after market cooler, they will be much more quiet and lower your tempeture.

Here is the link to Tom's after market coolers review

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/14/thermalrights_the_hr-03_is_a_vga_cooler_gorilla/

EscCtrl

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Cheers guys - gonna buy a new VGA cooler next week then

overclocked the VGA sensibly now to about 690Mhz GPU and 780Mhz memory

It crashed when i pushed the GPU to 762MHz :p
worth a try i thought (that was using stock fan settings though and voltage)

mark84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Fan speed @ 70% should do fine.
Been using the settings myself, drops the idle temp by 10C - 13C instantly.
Setting it to 100% would give you some extra noise but the temp difference is only few degree (1C or 2C).

CompuTronix

Intel Master
91c is hot, even for the 512 board. The 256 version runs cooler due to half the memory, however, you can solve the problem by building a dynamic temp / RPM table in ATI Tool 0.25 Beta 14. Click on Settings, then Fan Control, check "Override fan speeds" and select "Dynamic based on GPU temperature". Enter the following eight temperature and eight corresponding RPM values. I've found this works very well on my overclocked X1900XT, holding it to 76c max during "Scan for Artifacts", and may serve you just as well.

40c - 23%
51c - 32%
54c - 45%
57c - 55%
60c - 68%
63c - 77%
66c - 91%
69c - 100%

When all values are entered click "Apply" and if you've set up custom profiles, then remember to click on "Save" to assign the tables to your profiles. You'll get the idea when you see it.

The stock cooling solution is actually a beautiful piece of engineering with respect to benefiting the entire system cooling scheme by discharging heat through the rear of the case, which largly eliminates graphics "heat polution" in your rig. This can have a huge impact on holding down case temperatures, especially when gaming and / or trying to keep an overclocked CPU cool.

Any mod or upgrade that results in adding heat to the case is a thermally negative action. Many modders fail to give due consideration to this aspect of cooling systems, assuming that replacing the stock cooler always provides a blanket fix. Not necessarily true. In electronics, cool is almost always a higher priority than quiet. A well designed computer will successfully balance both, but often involves some compromise requiring us to tolerate certain noise levels to keep our chips chilled. OK by me.