7900GS potential?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Just kinda curious. With the prices on the X1950Pro being what they are, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to step down a little to the 7900GS, with the exception of the OC potential.

Anyone have any experience with this? The eVGA 7900GS is OCd a bit. Is there more potential there possibly? Can you OC them enough to surpass the 1950Pro?

cleeve

Illustrious
Yeah, they are good overclockers.

Then again, once the next version of AtiTool comes out, we might find that the X1950 PROs are excellent overclockiers, too...

cleeve

Illustrious
Negative on what?

Are you saying the X1950 PROs won't overclock once the tools are out, or are you saying it's impossible for the AtiTool/Ati Tray guys to create software to do it?

And either way, how do you know that, GW?

a123456

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
The current X1950 Pros don't seem to OC that well with no voltage changes. That current software out there seems to do a good enough job with that task. I don't know how much better it can OC with better software but it doesn't seem like it would be that much better.

At $130-150 (with rebate games), the 7900GS gives a bit worse performance, but it's not really in the same price range anymore, so it depends on your budget and if you want to spend a little more to get a little more.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Question is, does the OC on the eVGA card move it close enough in performance to the 1950Pro to make it a consideration? That, and can it be OC'd over and beyond what it is to possibly match the 1950Pro?

I've pretty much decided on the 1950Pro, because (not counting rebates), the prices are pretty close. Was just more of a curiosity thing, but if I can tweak a 7900GS enough to come close to an X1950Pro, why not save a few bucks.

Not to mention, Everquest and Planetside are the 2 games I play the most. Not so sure I'd notice a big difference in one over the other. There is the future to think about, but between those 2 cards, neither are future proof with dx 10 around the corner.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
how do you know that, GW?
I follow the beta testing of both ATi Tray Tools and ATi Tool.....and things don't look good at all.

ATi purposely removed the enthusiast's options from these cards, and that is my own opinion.

*edit*

Without voltage adjustments, these cards are fukced. and I'll eat my hat if someone makes these options available through software.

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
I usually favor Nvidia cards, even though in the latest DX9 cards ATI had the high-end category lead.

The 7900GS is a good overclocker, at least those cards made by EVGA and XFX - I've read reviews that obtain a 150 Mhz OC on the core and over 200 Mhz OC on the memory with stock cooling. That puts the GS into GT territory, and this making it a great value for your money. The lowest priced 7900GS I could find was an EVGA model for 165USD on tigerdirect, thats not much more than a 7600GT.

However, since their prices are so close (10-20$ difference in most cases), I would still go with a x1950Pro in this price category. It's simply a better performer, even without the overclock.

My 2c

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
The X1950 Pro can actually only overclock somewhat, despite having an 80nm core. The 7900 GS can probably overclock past the X1950 Pro and should reach 700Mhz with a fan such as the VF900.
However for this u will have to change the voltage of the card, via a softmod or a hardmod - probably the latter if i know 7900 cards.