Sign in with
Your question

Help Me Choose! Your Input is 100% valued!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2006 8:38:34 PM

Hello All,
Now that I have finally registered here(been meaning to for a while) I would like to see if I can get a question or two answered. I am in the process of ordering is parts for my new conroe build, and I have a question that I have not been able to get answered concisely(too many hours reading). My question is in regards to cpu choice. Out of the following cpus which should I choose. My main needs are gaming and the standards, with occasional graphic design. I am somewhat weighting price to performance.

Choice 1: Core 2 Extreme x6800

Choice 2: Core 2 E6700

Choice 3: Core 2 E6600

I have heard/read the 6700 isn't really really worth the extra money, but what about the x6800? I know it might seem stupid, or repetitive in forums as large as these, but I am just in a confused state after far to many hours researching!

Please advise,
Jordan

More about : choose input 100 valued

November 17, 2006 8:50:24 PM

Quote:
Hello All,
Now that I have finally registered here(been meaning to for a while) I would like to see if I can get a question or two answered. I am in the process of ordering is parts for my new conroe build, and I have a question that I have not been able to get answered concisely(too many hours reading). My question is in regards to cpu choice. Out of the following cpus which should I choose. My main needs are gaming and the standards, with occasional graphic design. I am somewhat weighting price to performance.

Choice 1: Core 2 Extreme x6800

Choice 2: Core 2 E6700

Choice 3: Core 2 E6600

I have heard/read the 6700 isn't really really worth the extra money, but what about the x6800? I know it might seem stupid, or repetitive in forums as large as these, but I am just in a confused state after far to many hours researching!

Please advise,
Jordan

To be completely honest the E6400 or best E6600 Would be more than enough for you, the only ting that would help you is a better graphic card and More RAM. So If you like save your money by getting a formidable E6400 or a E6600(stock speed for ultimate stability) and a New Geforce DirectX10 Card and a minimum of 1 Gigabyte of Dual Channel ram
November 17, 2006 9:04:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. Ram isn't an issue. I have already made a firm decision to go with 2 gb of Corsair Ram. I am thinking 4, we'll see what I am left with. As far as the chip, I am thinking 6600 minimum due to the 4mb cache. Looking forward to hearing from some others!

Jordan
Related resources
November 17, 2006 9:38:34 PM

Well I'd go for 2 choices and you don't list one of them. Either the E6600, or the QX6700. If your willing to spend the money for X6800 then go for the quad and don't spend the money on the 4gb of RAM yet. The 4gb will definatly be needed for Vista but not if right now. The e6600 doesn't really get completly used yet. Mine I usually mine between 65-85 usage during games. There's my input.
November 17, 2006 9:51:55 PM

E6600 is the go.

With 4 GB RAM and WinXP you'll only be able to address 2.75 - 3.50 GB of that 4 GB, and almost all Win32 apps can only use 2 GB per process.

You may want to get x64 and x64 versions of your image software, or look at running both Windows XP Pro, and Windows XP x64 Edition (or wait for Vista x64 + new x64 image editing apps).

What sort of applications will you be running, and are you considering a RAID-0/5 or Intel Matrix RAID-0/1 setup ?
November 17, 2006 9:53:06 PM

The qx6700 is right up there in price. I am just wondering performance wise how it is. I mean there are very few programs that I am aware of that run well on dual core, let alone quad core. I was thinking of the new EVGA mobo with the qx6700 if I go that route. Otherwise I think I'll stick with the MSI Platinum? Does anyone else have .02 to chime in regards to which cpu to pick? And would you agree with my choice of mobo?

Jordan
November 17, 2006 9:55:41 PM

Performance wise, the QX6700 is an absolute beast. If you plan to get one, I'd reccomend the Intel Bad Axe boards instead.
November 17, 2006 10:05:14 PM

Sorry, hadn't refreshed this tab :) . To those that posted before my last post:
Why 6600? It is price/performance. Yes I like the price, but I am a performance buff down deep :)  As far as 64 bit, I was thinking to wait until vista comes out, since I have an extra copy of 32 bit professional beside me. I will mostly be playing games, along with photoshop CS2. These are my core programs, other than the necessities.

DaSickNinja- What board are you referring to? I was thinking of using the EVGA one, I have heard its a great board.

Keep the thoughts coming everyone. Its helping me a great deal and hopefully others as well.

Jordan
November 17, 2006 10:25:02 PM

Looks like a bad ass board! What are the main differences/advantages of this board you mentioned versus the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 680i? I am torn on the motherboard, as I am leaning towards the quad core. I am still open for suggestions though, so please keep putting in your .02

Thanks,
Jordan
November 17, 2006 10:29:09 PM

The biggest differecnes are the chipset, the aviabilty, price, and pedigre. The Bad Axe boards run on the 975P chipset, are widely avialible, are cheaper, and have so far been tested more than the 680i. I am in no way discounting the 680i, but from what I've seen I prefer the Bad Axe so far. I've been able to raise the FSB on mine to 1600Mhz.
November 17, 2006 10:33:49 PM

I appreciate everyones opinion thus far.

DaSickNinja: I am going to take your word on it and go Bad Axe for the mobo with the gx6700.

Thanks for the help folks, I will report back once I get things together.

Jordan
!