Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 RAID

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 14, 2011 10:19:05 AM

i have recently brought a PC for myself, i work using large quantities of data and need a fast machine, anyway i brought dual SSDs but they failed to deliver the performance i was hoping for. so i am adding a further SSD drive so my database runs off both dedicated SSDs in RAID formation. my spec for the built is as follows :

Hard drive for running 64-bit windows 7:
OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD - SATA-III - Read 525MB/s Write 500MB/s 50,000 IOPS

2x Hard drive for database in RAID:
OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD - SATA-III - Read 525MB/s Write 500MB/s 50,000 IOPS

Spare hard drive:
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Motherboard:
Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 ONboard 128MB Memory DVI VGA HDMI Out ATX Motherboard

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Boxed Processor

8GB RAM Memory:
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 unbuffered

DvD burner/player:
LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials

Case:
Coolermaster Sileo Quiet Case With 500W Extreme Power Plus PSU

i am also looking to improve my cooler, i have eyed a few up but am unsure if they ll fit in my case okay, here they are:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/239824[/url" target="_blank">

i have checked about my database softwares setings / bottleneck situation and using a RAID setup is definitely the best way to improve the databses performance. can anyone point me in the direction of some tutorials showing how to completely reset my OS (windows 7 - 64 bit) and create a RAID style setup? thx in advnance for your advice JOhn

More about : windows raid

a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2011 11:06:49 AM

did you update the firmware on the SSD's?

June 14, 2011 11:45:47 AM

no they will be brand new out the box when i attempt to install them. the only parts that will have been used are the CPU, motherbrd and RAM
Related resources
June 14, 2011 12:26:18 PM

yh these are the ones that im goin to be installing tomorrow (gulp)... http://www.ebuyer.com/product/268244

i have little computer building experience but am reasonable at figuring things out for myself, so i will be returning my current 60gb and 120gb drives and replacing them with brand new 60gb + 2x120gb ssds in RAID formation, this is what i need to work out the process for. i will literally be confronted with a package containing the drives tomorrow, and will have to take out my current drives and replace / reconfigure everything myself from scratch. this is the part i need information to help me with.

also for my current drives, how do i wipe them clean before i return them? i noticed you said something about wipe utilties...?
a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2011 12:34:59 PM

the wipe utility is for defraging SSD's, ive not used it yet but i have been told this is what its for, but if you are returning drives i would format them.

I should have waited for sata3 drives oh well, ebuyer isnt a bad site, but i think aria have a special on atm
June 14, 2011 12:44:10 PM

sry i dont understand - the drives i am getting are the SATA3 OCZ drives? why is there a better replacement i can get for the same GB/£ ? i can probably still make a ammendment to the order for the next hour so...

Also to format my existing SSDs do i just right click them in the "computer" screen and select format / quick format /NTFS file system? not sure what to do about the 60GB one since it runs windows 7? so i guess you do that in the BIOS? thx for all your help on this
a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2011 1:30:25 PM

no your getting good drives, just saying you might get them at a better price from aria.co.uk
June 14, 2011 1:39:56 PM

ah yh i checked on aria and there was barely any price difference.
can you point me in the direction of some info that ill need to start my RAID setup from scratch thx again JOhn
!