Your question

New Computer not Starting

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2006 11:11:20 PM

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
PS: ThermalTake Toughpower 750W
Case: Centurion 5
Mobo: Intel DG965wh
GPU: Asus EAX1900XT
HD: WD Caviar 250GB SATA

I have everything installed in the case and have checked all the connections to make sure everything is seated properly. However, when I press the power button to turn on the computer it will power up for half a second then shut back off. Nothing appears on the monitor at all. I have heard that the intel mobo has problems with some RAM, could this be my problem?

Thanks

More about : computer starting

November 17, 2006 11:58:08 PM

recheck all connections.
also the front panel from the case.

i have trouble with those little connectors all the time.
then again im half blind.

also if it has never worked since you built it?
remove 1 stick of ram and retry.

double and triple check everything.

remember, just because its new, doesnt mean its good.

could be a bad part, could be something you overlooked.

good luck and let us know how it pans out.
Anonymous
November 18, 2006 12:02:20 AM

Make sure the cpu is in right and all the way. I had that happen to me, it come on for a half-second and then turn back off, and I found out I had not gotten the cpu in all the way.
Related resources
November 18, 2006 4:57:49 AM

Quote:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
PS: ThermalTake Toughpower 750W
Case: Centurion 5
Mobo: Intel DG965wh
GPU: Asus EAX1900XT
HD: WD Caviar 250GB SATA

I have everything installed in the case and have checked all the connections to make sure everything is seated properly. However, when I press the power button to turn on the computer it will power up for half a second then shut back off. Nothing appears on the monitor at all. I have heard that the intel mobo has problems with some RAM, could this be my problem?

Thanks

If czgncdoe's suggestion doesn't help, try resetting BIOS, using a different power cord, and plugging your computer into the wall instead of a multiple plug-in board thing if you are using one. Post results.
November 18, 2006 5:02:03 AM

ATTN: Check your MOBO mounts.. the little studs you slapped to the case to mount the mobo.. make sure you do not have ANY extra studs that do not line up with the holes on the board.. if you do.. take them out :) 
Anonymous
November 18, 2006 5:28:40 AM

My case has punch-outs, but I do have the insulators that came with the case in them, will that effect me?
November 18, 2006 5:41:49 AM

Not talking about the punchouts on the back of the case.. im talking about the place where you actually screw the Mobo to the case... the little tiny mounts under the mobo.. probably gold in color.. make sure that all the ones you have mounted to the case line up to the hold on the mobo
November 19, 2006 9:32:53 PM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. It turns out it was a power issue. I have everything up and running now!
!