Sign in with
Your question

I'm 15 years old. 1st build. will this work?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems

8800gtx or 2x 7950gts?

Total: 121 votes

• 8800gtx
  • 97 %
  • 2x 7950gts
  • 4 %
November 17, 2006 11:29:18 PM

Tower- Nzxt full tower
Power- 700w OCZ
Mobo- eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR 680i
Cpu- Intel core 2 duo e6600
Memory- CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400
Video- eVGA 8800gtx
Hdd- WD Raptor 74gb 10,000rpm
Sound- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
Monitor- Dell 20 inch wfp2007

Will this build work alright? Should i do liquid cooling? How should I put it together? Am i missing anything? I've been saving for a long time and i dont want to screw this up.

Thanks!

matt

More about : years 1st build work

Anonymous
November 17, 2006 11:52:38 PM

Are you buying this yourself, or are your parents?
November 18, 2006 12:24:36 AM

myself. my friends and i have a lawn mowing buisness. i have about 3000 set aside for this computer but i'd like to try and stay around 2500.
November 18, 2006 12:30:02 AM

dvd drive?
os?
dont forget the ever important surge suppressor and optional UPS
if you're going to OC, might think about an aftermarket cooler for the CPU.
November 18, 2006 12:38:57 AM

It'll work fine, go the 8800GTX, becuase no matter how fast dual 7950's go, they wont go anywhere at all on DX10.

Bittorrent windows, and yeah ad a DVD drive.
November 18, 2006 12:44:38 AM

Well, looks like a fast system, but I would drop the raptor for perpindicular storage. I didn't notice much of a difference in real world performance between the raptors I have had and the larger drives I have owned. Second, I would also pass on the gamer card, save a little and just get the extreme music or one of the lower end X-Fi cards, you won't notice the difference. And no need for liquid cooling, unless you are going to OC it to max and leave it that way. Go for the 8800 also or wait for R600.

wes
November 18, 2006 12:45:51 AM

how much of a risk is it to overclock? is it worth the possibility if frying your cpu? or should i go for the e6700?
November 18, 2006 12:55:44 AM

It is not to hard with proper cooling. If you follow the overclocking guides on toms forums, you would be fine. The main thing to watch out for to keep from frying the cpu is voltage and temperature. What will you be using the computer for?

wes
November 18, 2006 1:02:49 AM

i really want to game on it mostly. i will also be editing movie rips and and editing photos. i do a fair bit of torrent downloading as well. I'm just so lost on everything from whether i should buy a 20inch from dell for gaming to ocing.
November 18, 2006 1:07:18 AM

Quote:
Tower- Nzxt full tower
Power- 700w OCZ
Video- eVGA 8800gtx

Will this build work alright? Should i do liquid cooling? How should I put it together? Am i missing anything? I've been saving for a long time and i dont want to screw this up.

Thanks!

matt

I think you've planned out a fine system, but I can give you some feedback anyway.

First, as other have noticed, you seem to have omitted optical drives. My recommendation there is to just get two cheap DVD burners. DVD burners, especially cheap ones, will die with heavy use, so if you do a lot of burning for any reason, this will be a recurring system expense. This is why you'd want two: so that if one goes down, you're not terribly inconvenienced waiting for your new one. I get a new DVD burner for 30-35 dollars roughly every 6-10 months.

I think the single 8800 is a better call than the 7950s in SLI. In some situations, the two 7950s can perform a little better, but in most the 8800GTX will probably win out, and the single 8800GTX is going to be significantly cheaper, too. Also, with DX10 games coming out in a few months, the 8800GTX will have an even greater edge. Further, you have room for upgrades with a single 8800GTX. Next year when you're wishing you had a few my FPS in whatever hot new game, you can toss out another couple hundred bucks for a second 8800GTX to run in SLI (which will have decreased in price a lot by next year.)

You should think hard about that sound card. Just how discriminating is your ear? For instance, when you're listening to an MP3 encoded at 128, is the difference between that and true CD audio REALLY noticable to you? If you can't notice a difference, or if the difference doesn't matter to you, then you're really wasting money on that sound card. Get an audigy 4, or something. If you notice and care, then maybe it's worth your while, but you should also make sure you have the speakers and headphones to take advantage of the better card. However, in any case, don't leave it to onboard sound. So many motherboards have severe sound problems (obvious crackling) that it's really worth avoiding...

Your case is good. Pretty much any full tower case should be able to accomodate the 8800gtx card. Your PSU will have no problem with the single 8800GTX. if you decide to add a second one later, it should still be adequate, but you'll be running near the upper limit of what your PSU can give, and the life of your PSU will likely be shortened.

You may want more space than the 74 GB on that Raptor. A second HDD at 250GB-750GB (depending on sales and your budget) is advisable if you plan to do anything with music and video.

The advice about liquid cooling is good. It's really not necessary unless you're planning to push the OC really hard. Many people are getting up to 3.6 GHz and higher on stock cooling, so even if you're going for 4 GHz, a good aftermarket air cooler will probably take you there.

Putting it together is really just a "tab A in slot B" kind of thing. One thing that may not be obvious is that your cables can really interfere with air flow in your case, so you want to keep them out of the way to one side, rather than hanging down in the middle, partitioning your case into two spaces. Braiding cables is the popular solution to this, but even something as simple as plastic twist-ties can be a big help.

Get an anti-static wrist strap, and be extra careful with all your components. I've personally fried video cards and motherboards with static. Learn from my bad example! It hurts bad to spend 200-700 dollars on a component and lose it to carelessness.

If you're really worried about the building part of building your own computer, with some shopping around and research, you can find a system builder to build you a machine for not much more than you would pay to buy the parts yourself. I just ordered a new PC from cyberpower, and it was only about a hundred bucks more than I would have paid for the parts. Just buy a copy of computer shopper and see who's building custom-configuration machines. However, if you have the time and interest, don't let fear stop your from building your own box. It can be personally rewarding, and get you cred with your friends.
November 18, 2006 1:16:26 AM

wow! Thank You soooo much for your input Rashind! I will take everything that you said into consideration. You are obviously very knowledgeable and experienced. I just discovered cyberpowerpc last night and its completely changed my perspective on building. I'd been farting around with dell and falcon and i felt that the selection and pricing was terrible. I think i'll just order my system from cyberpower and be done with it. :) 

If i could just ask you one more question....

what would you recommend for a gaming monitor(i was hoping for widescreen)?
November 18, 2006 1:41:55 AM

Oh good lord NO!!! Dont even think about getting a computer from Cyberpowerpc... I made the mistake of ordering from then.. and it took a month to get the thing.. and the Raid0 wasnt working when I got it. And I've been having problems off and on with it ever since... Trust me.. Save yourself the 100-200 dollars and build one yourself.. I sure wish I had
November 18, 2006 2:17:40 AM

I've heard good and bad about cyberpower, but I decided to chance it... my computer is shipping tomorrow, well within the time window I was given at check-out. I'll certainly be here bitching about it if things don't go well after I receive it, though. :wink:
November 18, 2006 2:28:34 AM

I'm not really up on monitors, but I've got a Samsung 204B, 20.1 inches. It's not a widescreen, but I'm very happy with it. People will tell you that you need 4 ms response time or better for gaming, but different brands talk differently about response times, and comparing one brand's advertised response time to another just isn't going to give you any useful information. I can tell you this: my 204B doesn't have any ghosting problems. The color is tolerable for me, but I do not have a very discerning eye. I'm no graphic designer.

Anyway, there is a widescreen version of the 204B, the 204BW. Obviously, I haven't used it, so I can't vouch, but I would imagine it's more of the same. 288.99 on Newegg, maybe better elsewhere. Whatever you get, look at the specs and see if you can find a good tech site review or two.

One important note, though... if you do go the professionally-built PC route, it's probably best to get the monitor and speakers on your own, unless they just happen to have the model you want available for inclusion in systems, and it's cheaper than you can get it elsewhere.
November 18, 2006 3:07:56 AM

Funny as it might seems, I still like good ole CRT to game on. I bought my system new but bought my monitor used. You can certainly get very decent deal on high end used CRT. I am using a 21'' monitor industrial grade with a Trinitron tube in it. Ok, peeps will complain about power consummation and what not but it makes for very nice gaming monitor. Space might be an issue because those beasts are huge. Might look into that and save some bucks.
Anonymous
November 18, 2006 3:20:12 AM

Hey Rashind, when you talk about the anti-static wrist watch thing, will you hear something, like a spark, if you accidentaly do short curcuit something or whatever? I am not saying I have yet, I just want to know what it is if it happens.

There is one on Newegg for $5, I might order when I order my ram and gpu in another week, if you suggest it.
November 18, 2006 3:24:36 AM

in the words of Borat... "Very NICE!!!"
Anonymous
November 18, 2006 3:36:29 AM

Borat is so retarded. I am not even going to see that movie. Just a waste of money that I could use on my PC.

Just my thoughts.
November 18, 2006 3:54:22 AM

Czgncdoe,

If you hear, see, or feel a spark, that's incredibly bad. It's entirely possible to fry a circuit without knowing it, though. You'll just turn it on, and it won't work... or, it will work, and you'll have one transistor messed up out of 500 million, and it'll be fine nearly all the time, but every once in a while you'll just get that crazy glitch, or something will crash out... static is scary stuff. Gotta do what you can to avoid it. Don't work on carpeted surfaces, keep yourself grounded, wear your wrist strap (the one sold on newegg should be fine), and even with all that, avoid touching the metal bits on your boards whenever possible. Hold your card by the edges when you can, and make absolutely sure you're grounded if you have to touch anywhere else.
Anonymous
November 18, 2006 4:58:20 AM

I build my pc on my kitchen table, so carpet is not a not a problem, and I also dont wear socks, lol. I will get the watch. I haven't got any sound like that, but I will do what I can to prevent it.

Thanks.
November 18, 2006 7:00:31 AM

ravenx, first off I just want to say good job at collecting 3000$. I'm 14 and I know how hard it is to save up that kinda cash.( I've saved 1000, 2000 to go...)

On your system specs, go for a 8800GTX. You can get another to do GTX SLI in a year, plus the 8800 will be better in DX10, and not much worse than the SLI in DX9.

Hdd wise, keep the raptor, but buy atleast one data hdd. 74GB will go away in a flash, believe me. The raptor can be your favortie gaming drive for the best load times. The other one can be used for your OS, worksheets, you name it...

Sound card-- ditch it. Get a low level X-fi. I would be against buying an Audigy as its older tech. X-fi xtreme music is 200(atleast) cheaper and still seems to be good enough. Do you have surround sound? Or atleast a subwoofer? Without those, the sound card is TOTALY worthless.

I would upgrade your PSU though. Just a bit, maybe like a 800 watt.(like the coolermaster stackers' 830 watt) That will let you do 8800 SLI without being on the edge of your PSU.

What is the resolution of the Dell you posted? Honestly, I dont care for much higher than 1600-1200 as it really hurts your frames per second.(fps)

As others have said, get 2 DVD drives. Do you plan on watching hi-def movies? If so, you should go and get one HD DVD drive(or blu-ray).

You also forgot to include not only your OS(remember, Vista Premium is 400$) but virus software. Sure, its not that expensive, but it all adds up.

Finaly, on Overclocking(OC). As long as you do it moderately, you should have no problem even with stock cooling. But it does void your warrenty...
I prefer to OC until I have to change the voltage, or if the CPU fan gets too loud for my tastes. For instance, I've overclocked my P4 to 2.5 ghz and I've have no problems for over a month. You are lucky in that the Conroe cooler is already pretty good. Look at the CPU charts. You a Zalman if you want high-level air OC and Water ONLY if you are A: Seriously OCing( Falcon Northwest can get the 2.93 ghz Conroe to 3.73) or B: you hate the sound of the fan.

well, thats my 2 cents on your PC. Hope what I said helps out a bit...
November 18, 2006 7:09:04 AM

I wish I had money like you have when I was 15!!
November 18, 2006 7:29:11 AM

@ras and cz..

Working on a carpeted surface isnt all that scary... I work on mine all the time in my office on my desk.. just make sure to wear some sort of rubber sole sneakers and make sure you actually touch the side of the case before touching any of the components inside and you will be fine :) 
November 18, 2006 8:10:35 AM

What does you being 15 have to do with the build? Watch out for the pedos in this thread, haha. Looks solid though.
November 18, 2006 8:18:16 AM

Quote:
What does you being 15 have to do with the build? Watch out for the pedos in this thread, haha. Looks solid though.

You toss pot.

When I was 15 I didn't have two pennies to rub together never mind buy a rocking pc.

Since you mentioned about pedoes I think we all better look out at you eh :!:
November 18, 2006 12:40:34 PM

I just have a different point of view about the raptor. On just about all the game the difference in level load times between the raptor and the Seagate 7200.10 perpindicular drives is so small, 1-2 seconds(in favor of raptor), that you would not notice the difference. I have owned a few, they are nice drives, but not worth the price while taking the hit on storage. I would get the Seagate.

Also, for the PSU, a good 650W would more than run a 8800GTX Sli setup, the prices start to soar above the 600-650W ranges.... atleast they were last I checked.

And, I would not touch Vista for a few months, AT LEAST, after it has been released. Windows OS's tend to be extremely glitchy until the first, and sometimes second Service Pack.....

wes
November 18, 2006 1:49:33 PM

Quote:
Hdd wise, keep the raptor, but buy atleast one data hdd. 74GB will go away in a flash, believe me. The raptor can be your favortie gaming drive for the best load times. The other one can be used for your OS, worksheets, you name it...

Ack, he definitely wants his OS on the Raptor, as well as his paging file... and any games he wants speed from, and some of his most-used applications. The storage drive should really just be for music, video, and other data files. If 74 GB isn't enough room for the OS, games, and apps, maybe think about the 150GB raptor.

Quote:
Sound card-- ditch it. Get a low level X-fi. I would be against buying an Audigy as its older tech. X-fi xtreme music is 200(atleast) cheaper and still seems to be good enough. Do you have surround sound? Or atleast a subwoofer? Without those, the sound card is TOTALY worthless.

The Audigy's being older tech isn't a big problem if it's going the job. Old tech has a very important advantage: price. If he won't notice/doesn't care about the advantages of a newer, higher-end card, there's not much sense in getting one.

Quote:
I would upgrade your PSU though. Just a bit, maybe like a 800 watt.(like the coolermaster stackers' 830 watt) That will let you do 8800 SLI without being on the edge of your PSU.

The PSU upgrade seems unnecessary. At the moment, he'll be running it at about 50-60% load, which is very light. If he happens to get another 8800GTX for SLI, then he'll be up around 80-90%, which is fine... but if it makes him uncomfortable, he can always upgrade then.

Quote:
As others have said, get 2 DVD drives. Do you plan on watching hi-def movies? If so, you should go and get one HD DVD drive(or blu-ray).

I'd really advise against HD DVD or Blu-ray right now. It's just too damn expensive. If in a year or two, he finds he's aching for it, he can buy one then and save himself 200-800 dollars... or even get a burner.

Quote:
You also forgot to include not only your OS(remember, Vista Premium is 400$) but virus software. Sure, its not that expensive, but it all adds up.

Free antivirus software is adequate and available. Regularly running Avast antivirus, adaware, and spybot will keep your system clean, even if you while away the hours at Sites of Ill Repute.
November 18, 2006 1:58:57 PM

Quote:
I just have a different point of view about the raptor. On just about all the game the difference in level load times between the raptor and the Seagate 7200.10 perpindicular drives is so small, 1-2 seconds(in favor of raptor), that you would not notice the difference. I have owned a few, they are nice drives, but not worth the price while taking the hit on storage. I would get the Seagate.

This is fair advice, but Raptors are good for another reason: it forces you to keep your applications/games/OS and media files separate. Nobody wants to waste precious space on the Raptor with old episodes of Mr. Show, they'd go to the storage drive. Which is great, because constantly deleting and creating files will fragment the crap out of your files, and even if you defrag, important stuff will wind up at the end of the drive, which is slower than the beginning... Anyway, a Raptor encourages you to keep a clean house. If it's not fast enough, two 37 GB raptors in RAID 0 is faster. =D

Quote:
Also, for the PSU, a good 650W would more than run a 8800GTX Sli setup, the prices start to soar above the 600-650W ranges.... atleast they were last I checked.

I think the word you're looking for is "barely". With 2-3 hard drives, an OCed Conroe (and he's going to OC.. come on, a whole GHz or more is just waiting to be taken!), and two 8800GTXs? Yeah, 650W is going to be working hard to supply all that. It'd be dead in a month, or the vid cards would start throttling. I'd say keep the 750W, unless you really aren't interested in SLIing someday, then it's safe to drop down.

Quote:
And, I would not touch Vista for a few months, AT LEAST, after it has been released. Windows OS's tend to be extremely glitchy until the first, and sometimes second Service Pack.....

... and even after that. :'P You're right, though, it's a good idea to hold off on Vista. The time to step up is when security updates for XP are stopped, or when games/apps you want become Vista-only. Stepping up before is just silly.
November 18, 2006 2:37:26 PM

Quote:
Tower- Nzxt full tower
Power- 700w OCZ
Video- eVGA 8800gtx

Thanks!

matt

I think you've planned out a fine system, but I can give you some feedback anyway.

First, as other have noticed, you seem to have omitted optical drives. My recommendation there is to just get two cheap DVD burners. DVD burners, especially cheap ones, will die with heavy use, so if you do a lot of burning for any reason, this will be a recurring system expense. This is why you'd want two: so that if one goes down, you're not terribly inconvenienced waiting for your new one. I get a new DVD burner for 30-35 dollars roughly every 6-10 months.

I think the single 8800 is a better call than the 7950s in SLI. In some situations, the two 7950s can perform a little better, but in most the 8800GTX will probably win out, and the single 8800GTX is going to be significantly cheaper, too. Also, with DX10 games coming out in a few months, the 8800GTX will have an even greater edge. Further, you have room for upgrades with a single 8800GTX. Next year when you're wishing you had a few my FPS in whatever hot new game, you can toss out another couple hundred bucks for a second 8800GTX to run in SLI (which will have decreased in price a lot by next year.)

You should think hard about that sound card. Just how discriminating is your ear? For instance, when you're listening to an MP3 encoded at 128, is the difference between that and true CD audio REALLY noticable to you? If you can't notice a difference, or if the difference doesn't matter to you, then you're really wasting money on that sound card. Get an audigy 4, or something. If you notice and care, then maybe it's worth your while, but you should also make sure you have the speakers and headphones to take advantage of the better card. However, in any case, don't leave it to onboard sound. So many motherboards have severe sound problems (obvious crackling) that it's really worth avoiding...

Your case is good. Pretty much any full tower case should be able to accomodate the 8800gtx card. Your PSU will have no problem with the single 8800GTX. if you decide to add a second one later, it should still be adequate, but you'll be running near the upper limit of what your PSU can give, and the life of your PSU will likely be shortened.

You may want more space than the 74 GB on that Raptor. A second HDD at 250GB-750GB (depending on sales and your budget) is advisable if you plan to do anything with music and video.

The advice about liquid cooling is good. It's really not necessary unless you're planning to push the OC really hard. Many people are getting up to 3.6 GHz and higher on stock cooling, so even if you're going for 4 GHz, a good aftermarket air cooler will probably take you there.

Putting it together is really just a "tab A in slot B" kind of thing. One thing that may not be obvious is that your cables can really interfere with air flow in your case, so you want to keep them out of the way to one side, rather than hanging down in the middle, partitioning your case into two spaces. Braiding cables is the popular solution to this, but even something as simple as plastic twist-ties can be a big help.

Get an anti-static wrist strap, and be extra careful with all your components. I've personally fried video cards and motherboards with static. Learn from my bad example! It hurts bad to spend 200-700 dollars on a component and lose it to carelessness.

If you're really worried about the building part of building your own computer, with some shopping around and research, you can find a system builder to build you a machine for not much more than you would pay to buy the parts yourself. I just ordered a new PC from cyberpower, and it was only about a hundred bucks more than I would have paid for the parts. Just buy a copy of computer shopper and see who's building custom-configuration machines. However, if you have the time and interest, don't let fear stop your from building your own box. It can be personally rewarding, and get you cred with your friends.

Don;t get the 74GB raptor. Get the 150gb raptor. Double the space and NCQ for only about $40 more. Don't get the one wth the window. More noisy, +$50, and lower MTBF.

>> Your case is good. Pretty much any full tower case should be able to accomodate the 8800gtx card

You don't need a full tower, thats overkill, even with an 8800GTX. They're not THAT big.

>> I get a new DVD burner for 30-35 dollars roughly every 6-10 months.

if you're only spending $30 thats why. Stop buying cheap-ass ghetto burners and buy one decent one that will last. You'll save time, repeated effort and money over the long term.

>> Get an anti-static wrist strap, and be extra careful with all your components. I've personally fried video cards and motherboards with static. Learn from my bad example! It hurts bad to spend 200-700 dollars on a component and lose it to carelessness.

Can't agree more. When you ever touch your components keep them in the anti-static bags etc as long as poissilbe and try to avoid ever touching them directly. Also ground yourself first (wrist strap or at least touch something earthed ). Also don't work anywhere near or stood on carpet. Its one of the worst causes of static.
November 18, 2006 2:42:13 PM

My first DVD burner a couple of years ago was a nice 150 dollar bastard, and it after about three months. The manufacturer gave me the run around telling me I had to go through the retailer, so I was just out 150 bucks.

So the answer to your question is that I don't trust any burners to last very long: I'd rather plan regular replacements than get burned again thinking I was paying for something other than a shit-heap.
November 18, 2006 3:19:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Ack, he definitely wants his OS on the Raptor, as well as his paging file... and any games he wants speed from, and some of his most-used applications. The storage drive should really just be for music, video, and other data files. If 74 GB isn't enough room for the OS, games, and apps, maybe think about the 150GB raptor.

Oops, typo on my part. I ment for the OS to be on the Raptor. And I think ravenx is a gamer, if not he can include stuff like photoshop on the Raptor too. As I stated earlier, the storage drive is just that. Storage. I would use that for stuff I need to keep yet I dont acces all the time...
Quote:

Quote:
The Audigy's being older tech isn't a big problem if it's going the job. Old tech has a very important advantage: price. If he won't notice/doesn't care about the advantages of a newer, higher-end card, there's not much sense in getting one.

True, but(atleast on Cyberpower) a X-Fi is only a bit more than an Audigy 4. Its like (though to a lesser extent) buying a Geforce 7950 GX2 when you could buy something like a Geforce 8600.( I know, it isnt released, but it will be). In that case, DX 10 is more important than more DX 9. Same thing here. X-Fi supports the highest level EAX, Audigy is a level or 2 bellow. Though again, if he doesnt have a high level sound set up, on board sound will be fine...
Quote:

Quote:
The PSU upgrade seems unnecessary. At the moment, he'll be running it at about 50-60% load, which is very light. If he happens to get another 8800GTX for SLI, then he'll be up around 80-90%, which is fine... but if it makes him uncomfortable, he can always upgrade then.

Will the PSU be sufficent? For one 8800GTX, yes. SLI? No, or just barely. Look at nvidia's own page. All 8800GTX certified are 750 watt or higher.(only 2 are 750 the rest are 800+)

link to nvidia
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html#ce...
Quote:

Quote:
I'd really advise against HD DVD or Blu-ray right now. It's just too damn expensive. If in a year or two, he finds he's aching for it, he can buy one then and save himself 200-800 dollars... or even get a burner.

I agree, I dont plan on getting on a new format for a while as well. If I do, I would get the Xbox 360 HD DVD players, its the cheapest of the bunch. However, if HE WANTS next gen playback on his PC, I felt the need to bring it up to him. We may suggest it against him, but its his call in the end.
Quote:

Free antivirus software is adequate and available. Regularly running Avast antivirus, adaware, and spybot will keep your system clean, even if you while away the hours at Sites of Ill Repute.
Well, he has to get Vista eventualy. If he is worried about possible bugs, he can buy XP home and upgrade later. But both ways, he needs an OS. And I would still get some higher level anti-virus. The free ones work, true, but I prefer to keep my OS with the highest level security.( I was once hit by a trojan, and it changed my look on high level security...)
November 18, 2006 3:57:58 PM

You all have been giving very good advice. Thank you so much for that.

but i still have two questions.

what should i do about a monitor?

what is your opinion of/should i buy from CyberPowerPC?
November 18, 2006 4:33:13 PM

Gotta look up reviews of cyberpower and make your own call. Here are a few:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4011-5_7-201998.html

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller_info.pl?seller_id...

There's good and bad there. I decided to chance it, but then I'm a pretty good bully in the realm of pseudo-legalese, so I'm pretty confident that if things don't go smoothy, I can get them to either deliver or refund everything.

Still, as a 15 year old you'd need to rely on your parents somewhat in order to play a good game of hardball... so if they're not willing to at least threaten legal action on your behalf, you may be better off not playing the game.
November 18, 2006 5:47:07 PM

Quote:
Borat is so retarded. I am not even going to see that movie. Just a waste of money that I could use on my PC.

Just my thoughts.

How can you judge the movie without even seeing it? I could make that same statement about you.
November 18, 2006 5:52:48 PM

Quote:
It'll work fine, go the 8800GTX, becuase no matter how fast dual 7950's go, they wont go anywhere at all on DX10.

how stupid to u have to be to say that u have apirated copy of windows on a a forum where there are so many ppl working at software companies. can u say arrested?
November 18, 2006 5:57:36 PM

He didn't say he had a pirated copy of windows, he merely suggested that someone else obtain one. Might get him on conspiracy to commit software piracy, but not software piracy.
Anonymous
November 18, 2006 6:14:44 PM

Um, commercials is how I determine a movie's quality.
November 18, 2006 7:40:32 PM

I won't argue on the Raptor, I have two of them, and know they are good. I just don't like the price tag in comparison to storage size/comparitive performance. But you do make good points on it.

As for the PSU. The reviews shot the 8800GTX setup was using around 350W from the wall under load don't they? If that is the case it will be actually using around 280W for the system if the PSU is running @ 80% efficiency. In that case a 650W would be more than double the actual power the system is using(not drawing from the outlet). I if you decided to add anouther card, ad in another 150W or so? I just don't think you even need higher than a 650W, but it couldn't hurt, just spending more money(when I don't think it is necessary.

wes

Edit: well it MIGHT be getting close to 600W with an OCed Conroe and more than 2 hard drives, I still think it would be fine though.
November 18, 2006 7:42:55 PM

OK, first off, get a X-fi xtreme music if your gonna get a sound card. On cyberpower, its an extra 35$.(compared to an Audigy 4) Good deal for better tech.

Now, here is my take on Cyber. Cheap. They definentaly dont have the best customer satifaction. They take a looooong time to ship their PCs, and their warrenty is the weakest. BUT, they are damn cheap. I like to use them as an aprox. on DIY pricing for PCs. They arent much more expensive than a true DIY.

Look at the true high end competitors like falcon northwest, alienware and voodoo. You pay through the nose. But, for that extra price, you get(especialy with falcon) GREAT warrenty, nice pre-made overclock, and other goodies. Voodoo is great if you want true customization.(like paint jobs). Alienware is well, alienware. No pre overclock I think, and still high level price. The cases look really cool though...

But still, as I've never ordered from them myself, I can only guess on what their pros and cons are.

In the end, I would bite the bullet and just do a DIY(do it yourself). You save the most in cash, and you get bragging rites about your homemade PC. Not to mention the fact that the earlier you get used to tinkering your pc the better, as you might do an upgrade or 2 in the future...

On your screen, I assume you want to buy a new one. Do you have a price limit? Resolution limit? Or size limit? They all factor in.
November 18, 2006 10:56:52 PM

I want a big monitor. But not more than $400(shipping included). The 20 inch i was looking at (dell 2007wfp) looked nice but idk. Maybe I should run dual monitors.
November 18, 2006 11:10:34 PM

Dual monitors is cool, but sub-ideal for gaming... for gaming you'll probably want either one or three monitors, that way you don't have a break right down the center of your visual field. Two monitors can still be cool for other reasons, though... for example, you could have a video play on one while you work on the other. If you're a photoshop user, dual monitors can really be great. My friend who does graphic design demands dual-monitors.
November 18, 2006 11:47:36 PM

Quote:

BitTorrent Windows? Are you serious?
November 19, 2006 4:15:48 AM

hmmmm....it would take a long time to save up that cash only working summers for a 15 year old...heres a good question...

Are you planning on reporting that cash to the IRS cause believe me they will want some of it...But since it is illegal to not report I assume you already figured that in... If not figure your gonna pay 15-20 percent :cry:  since most likely your parents will claim you as a dependent...Just a thought :p 
November 19, 2006 5:10:41 AM

After all, everyone reports cash transactions to the IRS...
November 19, 2006 7:43:37 AM

well, I'm no expert on moniters... I think a 1600 1200 res would be a good mix. Its good detail for gaming, but not so small that you squint...

that standard screen size in 1280 1024, and you can get a good 19-21 incher for 200-300 dollars at that res...
November 19, 2006 9:26:06 AM

Get a widescreen. I went from a 19" flat screen CRT, to a 17" LCD, to a 17" Widescreen LCD and I must say...once you have a widescreen you will never go back. For my next monitor I'm considering the Dell 2407WFP.
November 19, 2006 11:03:23 AM

Well, depending on the state the OP lives in, chances are he owes $0 in taxes since it is illegal to employ someone under the age of 14-16(depending on the state). In his case the people paying them might have gifted the money, in which case, they don't pay taxes on it either. Enough loopholes make it legal.

wes
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2006 11:42:41 AM

I don't think someone saving money from mowing lawns needs to worry about the IRS, especially at 15 years old.
Now, if he expands the service, and turns 17, he may want to start worring about it.
November 19, 2006 11:58:00 AM

your system will work fine, I'm only fourteen, but I can tell that you have an amazing system coming up, especially if you use the 8800gtx in stead of SLI anything else. Just wondering, how do you have all that cash? I worked my butt off over the summer at a couple different jobs, yet I can not dream of affording that :cry: 
November 19, 2006 12:29:44 PM

I think I am going to start a lawn mowing business. Maybe I'll be able to afford such a nice computer and graphic card! Anybody need their lawn mowed?
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest
!