Big time gaming lag with my wireless setup

00maxse

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I have a Linksys WRT54G router and a Linksys WUSB11 USB network adapter. I can't play online games without getting bad lag and I end up dying so many times because of it. Is there something i can do to eliminate the lag? :evil:

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Are you getting a good signal strength ? If you have an external aeriel on your wireless network card try moving it around a bit.

Also, try connecting via a cable. Does that cure the problem ?

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Signal quality is typically more of a barometer of your wireless connection than signal strength actually. Unfortunately XP's utility doesn't give you this number. Certainly if your strength is poor your pings are probably going to suffer but you could have superior signal strength numbers but if your signal to noise ratio (SNR), which is usually listed as signal "quality", is bad, then your assocation to the AP is going to be crap. The easy things to try are switching the frequency base (channel in budget/consumer AP speak), moving the antenna as suggested if possible, and moving the Access Point itself. If it is crammed into a corner your problem very possibly could be solved by getting it out of a corner and into open space. Even with diversity (spatial) antennas, which you'd probably have if you have more than one antenna, can often not overcome severe multipath environments. And a tight corner certainly qualifies for that description.

gamer77

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Have you guys checked out EndLagNow.org? They were ALL over the Game Developers Conference in San Jose, they are rounding up Developers and Hardware manufacturers to End Lag!!! Sign up for their Newsletter and they send you reviews of LAg ending products... and they have a GREAT Forum on Lag. This is gonna change gaming as we know it!!

TRENDING THREADS