NZXT Zero vs Antec 900

Aramane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I'm going to be building a computer here in a few months and I'm considering these two cases.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811146029
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129021

Spec's are as follows:
Zero:
ATX Full Tower
External 5.25" Drive Bays 5
External 3.5" Drive Bays 2
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays 6
Expansion Slots 7
80mm Fans 1 x 80mm Top Fan
120mm Fans 1 x 120 mm Front Fan
2 x 120 mm Rear Fan
4 x 120mm Side Panel Fan
Side Air duct No
20.9'' x 8.3'' x 20.5'' (DxWxH)
16.2 lbs.

900:
ATX Mid Tower
External 5.25" Drive Bays 3
External 3.5" Drive Bays No
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays 6
Expansion Slots 7
80mm Fans No
120mm Fans 1 x 120mm TriCool rear fan with 3-speed switch control
2 x 120mm TriCool blue LED front fans with 3-speed switch control to cool HDDs
Side Air duct No
19.4'' x 8.1'' x 18.4'' (L x W x H)

The thing I really like about the Zero is all the fans! That's 8 fans that come with it stock. Also it's a ATX Full tower, so I'm expecting it to house the 8800 GTX without any problems.

But I've read great reviews on the 900 as well. What's the favorite here?

Overall, I like the Antec 900.

The controls and ports are on top (similar to my Cooler Master Centurion 532). The tray will probably also come in handy for putting some CDs, DVDs, pens, etc. The mesh design allows for good airflow. The only thing I'm not very fond of is the transparent window. I prefer a solid steel or aluminium case.

The major gripe I have with the NZXT is the door. I hate being required to open a door just to insert/remove a DVD; pain in the ass.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I looked at the Antec 900 in person after i got real interested in buying one then i was disappointed :cry: when it was no bigger than my Super Lanboy case, just has a big fan on it and some wholes in the side and since im running water cooling there would be no use for it.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I personally like the 900 but there is one concerne that might be a bit annoying with that case and it's its ventillation. In front, you have 2 x 120 mm fans, which if I remember correctly, don't seem to have any kind of air filter. Unless this can be addressed but putting some kind of air filter or strainer your case might fill up with dust faster then you can vacuum it. I don't think that the front bezel meshing can take care of that since it's not closely knitted.

Aramane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The major gripe I have with the NZXT is the door. I hate being required to open a door just to insert/remove a DVD; pain in the ass.

The only reason why I'm considering another case. It's a shame really, I have no idea why they did that.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I got the Antec 900 a couple of days ago. Personally I think it looks great. I've replaced the two front and rear fans with red ones and added one to the side. Because of its mesh design it seems to make one hell of a noise! I presume this is because the mesh reduces the rigidity of the sides, and that is what's causing the vibration. I've ordered some anti-vibration kits so I'll let you know how it works out.

Otherwise, like I said it looks great, keeps everything super cool and having the usb etc. on top is very handy.

MrChops

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I've got the standard TriCool fans in my 900, all on low speed and it's pretty quiet - a lot quieter than my old no-name case with 80mm fans.

I need a side fan so I can get rid of the noisy little fan on my 6800GT. Wow is that thing noisy!

I don't find my case is filling up with dust, although it's off the floor. Just the same as any unfiltered case that shifts a good amount of air.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I'd go for the Zero based on looks alone because the 900 is F-ugly. Of course thats subjective.

I think the Zero is the superior case from the reviews I've read. The only think I don't care for on the Zero is the location of the front ports but I seldom use them so no big.

As for the door on the front. I use my drives a ton. If it were any other case it might bother me but the magnet and door hinge are so well designed that I wouldn't mind opening it because it wouldn't break after a couple weeks like most doors on cases.

As mpilchfamily has said tho, go with what suits you best. Those are just my opinions.