Is my Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Genuine?

Majesty

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hey people, this is my 1st post here.

I have purchased a new PC about 1 month ago. It is only by now that I have decided to run the Everest program to check the true information about my components. The results were shocking! the report stated that my CPU is "DualCore Intel Pentium D 820, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)". Alias: "Smithfield". But I have ordered my PC with Intel Core 2 Duo E6300! which should be called "Allendale".

Furthermore, if checking under System Properties \ General, the CPU written there is also "Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz". I also ran a CPU speed test that stated that my speed is 2.80GHz. And I know my CPU speed should be above 3GHz.

But before I come with complains to the PC store, I need your opinion, and an appropriate way to be sure in 100% that my CPU is not what I originally bought. Maybe visually (although I looked at it, but it is hidden by the fan), or another way. This is really important. If someone can come up with useful links it will be even better.

Any help will be appreciated.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
download a program called cpu-z (just google it) and if it says that your cpu is a pentium and not a conroe, then go to the place you bought it at and complain, they gave you the wrong cpu. im almost sure they did though, since youve already checked with muliple different programs, i just think cpu-z is the definite answer.

you could also make sure its the wrong proc by looking at it. on the underside there are some subtle differences between the two, but that would require you to take off the hsf and take out the cpu. while thats not a very hard task, you would have to get some replacment thermal compond before you replaced the hsf and you could mess up your cpu of you dropped it or something by accident.

one more thing, why should your cpu speed be above 3.0ghz? the E6300 is ony clocked at 1.83ghz, and im assuming since you only found this out now you havent been OC-ing.

Majesty

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Right. I haven't been OC-ing, but if you multiple that by two you get above 3GHz don't you? And isn't it called Allendale? I know that the E6300-6400 are Allendale and the E6600-6700 are Conroe...

I'll check your program, but still, Isn't there a recommended, by-the-book way to do it? maybe by the manufacturer?

chameleon101

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
looks like you got wripped off, alot of companies will sell you older products for the simple fact 90% of people have no idea of what they are looking at,good way to clean out old stock and get good money for it.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
so your saying the cpu came in a unopened CORE2 box? no openings wahtsoever?

no doubling 1.83 does not make abouve 3ghz dual core means ONE core is 1.83 and the other is also 1.83, you do not double it to make the clock speed.

say the p4ee was waht ( i think ) 3.67 so in a way does it make it 6ghz? no
sory to ruin anything. no im not trying to flame u or anything ether.

even if it says core2 in cpuz get another one just in case.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Right. I haven't been OC-ing, but if you multiple that by two you get above 3GHz don't you? And isn't it called Allendale? I know that the E6300-6400 are Allendale and the E6600-6700 are Conroe...

I'll check your program, but still, Isn't there a recommended, by-the-book way to do it? maybe by the manufacturer?

by the book? just use a program, if the program says its not a c2d then its not. like i said before, there are some differences physically between the two, but thats on the underside of the cpu, and its not worth taking out to verify if software already says it not.

and the E6300 & E6400 are called allendales but there acctually not, those are procs coming out later with native 2mb cache, the e6300 and e6400 are just conroes with 2mb of cache disabled.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

It will still be 1.83. You don't multiply the frequency by the number of cores! And the clock speed should be 266, not 200. FSB is 1066, not the 800 of the Pentium. Also at Bios Boot a C2D will show as Core 2 Duo, not as a Pentium. Any CPU checking utility will show at least the correct speeds, and the CPU as an "Allendale," occasionally as a "Conroe," and if the utility is old enough "Pentium type unknown." You have a Pentium-D, not a C2D. Take the system back, showing the order and invoice.

Ford_Prefect

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
There's an easier way - go to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager. Open the Processors bit and it should show Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@ 1.86GHz.

If not, you've been had.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Also at Bios Boot a C2D will show as Core 2 Duo, not as a Pentium.

totally forgot about that method.

so to sum up all the posts so far:

youve dont have a c2d in you machine, you have a P4. go back to the place you got it and tell them to replace your proc.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
All right. Thanks again.
As the dealer hands you the new(proper) processor, tell him that you're gonna tell all your friends that this guy rips people off. Maybe he'll shoot you some coin to keep your mouth shut. :wink:... He tried to scam you, now return the favour.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
and the E6300 & E6400 are called allendales but there acctually not, those are procs coming out later with native 2mb cache, the e6300 and e6400 are just conroes with 2mb of cache disabled.

Just to clear this up, 6300 & 6400's could be a conroe with 2mb disabled or an allendale. They both operate the exact same. The reason allendale came about is because the company doesn't screw up enough die to keep the low-end market fed.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I understood there were no true Allendales yet, and that these were to be the new 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz 800FSB models?

- With the pupose-built 2 Meg caches, possibly making for lower power consumption and better overclockability, yes. But CPU identification programs generally call it an Allendale if they see a 2Meg cache, regardless of die type.

fuzzy33

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
go back to the place you got it and tell them to replace your proc.

I have no experience with this, but, personally, I would have doubts about other components too. You might want to check Device Manager about the other components.

Fuzzy

express4520

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2005
I understood there were no true Allendales yet, and that these were to be the new 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz 800FSB models?

- With the pupose-built 2 Meg caches, possibly making for lower power consumption and better overclockability, yes. But CPU identification programs generally call it an Allendale if they see a 2Meg cache, regardless of die type.

I wasn't aware of this, are you sure? cpu-z will definitely id a conroe with 2mb cache as an Allendale?

mrmez

Splendid
Dood... thats SERIOUSLY effed up
Use control pannel + cpuz to verify.
Dunno abt where u live, but there must be a gov't consumer protection body u can go2. Once ur SURE the sys is not what u paid for AND have the paperwork to back it up, give them a call and ask for advice.
After that id take a drive over there (hope its not an e-shop), tear sum1 a new orifice, demand to see the owner/manager, tell them who u contacted and demand a full refund for the system.

Heads shall ROLL :twisted:

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
See, that's yet another reason I buy behind the curve -- I'm usually in that 6-month "sweet spot" at which time the new stuff is readily available, appropriately priced and the older stock has typically sold off.

Also, I'm cheap and I'm on a budget. :D

Curious. Was this purchase from a small shop or one of the big retailers? A small shop, you can assume they built it, they know what it is -- highly likely then they it was intentional.

Purchased from one of the big retailers -- maybe it was a mistake?

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
This shows how things have come around. 10 years ago you'd order a PC with a 250mhz CPU and because things were progressing so fast, you get one with a 300mhz CPU.

Now it is the complete opposite apparently, priority to get rid of the old stock.

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I'm usually in that 6-month "sweet spot" at which time the new stuff is readily available, appropriately priced and the older stock has typically sold off.
So when might we be hitting this "sweet spot" for Core 2? (Hint: I'm hoping it's no later than January. :wink:)

-john, the cheap redundant legacy dinosaur

Majesty

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
All right! I have arranged this. The CPU has been replaced with a c2d e6300. Thank you all for the reference.

See, that's yet another reason I buy behind the curve -- I'm usually in that 6-month "sweet spot" at which time the new stuff is readily available, appropriately priced and the older stock has typically sold off.

Also, I'm cheap and I'm on a budget. :D

Curious. Was this purchase from a small shop or one of the big retailers? A small shop, you can assume they built it, they know what it is -- highly likely then they it was intentional.

Purchased from one of the big retailers -- maybe it was a mistake?

This is not a small shop, but a big one. I talked to the technician, and it seems that someone has made a mistake. The service was kind - no hard feelings.

Thank you people for the reassurance. :D

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
All right! I have arranged this. The CPU has been replaced with a c2d e6300. Thank you all for the reference.
Soooooooo ... do you notice any difference between the old CPU and the E6300? And FWIW, have you run CPU-Z again just to double check?

-john

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You should have said, I want to return the whole system and bought it somewhere else. You might have had a chance for them to upgrade one of your components because of the mistake. Either way, they did somethign wrong, so you should threaten them back, i.e. yelling at management and making a scene. Best way to get free swag...