Sign in with
Your question

Driver problems with Apple's stock video cards in Mountain Lion?

Last response: in Mac Os X
January 9, 2013 7:29:35 AM

Has anyone had, or heard of a problem utilizing the on-board v-RAM of their Radeon HD 5770 or HD 5870 video cards in OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion? These are the two video card options currently available from Apple in the Mac Pro towers. I have a client experiencing driver support problems, but I can't rule out the possibility of a bad HD 5870 card.
January 9, 2013 7:19:26 PM

To the best of my knowledge, As long as the cards are genuine Apple versions, there shouldn't be any problems; if they are Modified PC versions, it could explain the issues.
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:48:37 AM

That's what you'd think, but my contacts at Apple say it's a believable problem, especially when third party software is involved. I'm leaning towards a bad card though. We build these computers regularly for HD and UHD video work, and the HD 5870 is a common GPU choice. Mountain Lion's been coming with the computers for almost 6 months now, I feel like we'd have run into this problem before.

Still if anyone else has seen or heard of a similar problem....
:sarcastic: 
m
l
January 21, 2013 10:47:14 PM

OK, problem somewhat sovled. Adobe's CS5 & CS6 software suites don't support GPU acceleration on ATI Radeon HD series cards.
m
l
!