Question about tubing

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
The inside of my tubing is now translucent white. It used to be clear a couple of weeks ago when I first started using it (with distilled water). Does anyone know what this white stuff is? And how do I get rid of it?

I'm new to water cooling. This is my first water cooling system. I built it myself, 240 BIX, 655 pump, Storm water block, t-line fill system. I recently added a little rubbing alcohol to the water to prevent green algie from growing. That is when I noticed my tubing was no longer clear.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
The inside of my tubing is now translucent white. It used to be clear a couple of weeks ago when I first started using it (with distilled water). Does anyone know what this white stuff is? And how do I get rid of it?

I'm new to water cooling. This is my first water cooling system. I built it myself, 240 BIX, 655 pump, Storm water block, t-line fill system. I recently added a little rubbing alcohol to the water to prevent green algie from growing. That is when I noticed my tubing was no longer clear.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

My guess is that the rubbing alcohol has reacted with the plastic your tubing is made from. Put some on the outside of the pipe and see if it turns cloudy.

That was pretty stupid to add rubbing alcohol to the water. I'm not even sure it would prevent algae.. God knows what its doing to your pump though. There's proper anti-fungal additives you can get that would have been a much better idea.

G

You would need a pretty high concentration of etoh to prevent algae from growing... get yourself some decent algizide...

Zeos

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I recently added a little rubbing alcohol to the water to prevent green algie from growing. That is when I noticed my tubing was no longer clear.

I'm not that good with english to go into semantics, but didn't he just said that he noticed the unclear tubes when he added the alcohol, thus the tubes were already unclear?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I recently added a little rubbing alcohol to the water to prevent green algie from growing. That is when I noticed my tubing was no longer clear.

I'm not that good with english to go into semantics, but didn't he just said that he noticed the unclear tubes when he added the alcohol, thus the tubes were already unclear?

Nah... he said the tubing was originally clear at the beginning of his post. It is only after adding the alcohol that the tubing became cloudy.

pancito

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Remove Tubing, get little finger or something inside tubbing if the tubing cleans up, you did something other then put alcohol for the algea.

If you can live without your pc for a few hours,

Remove everything,
get new CHEAP tubing
fill your rad with vinager for a few hours rinse with water.
Fill with water.
Run Loop for a few mins, hours.
If still dirty do it again and again.

ALWAYS USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY, after you have notive everything is clear again add a good KNOWN antialgea and distilled water and enjoy.