problem with Magic Prism 7900GS

Kolio

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hi,
2 months ago I bought to above card in addition to E6300 and asus p5b deluxe. Until recently I was pretty pleased with the performance - 9800 pts 3Dmark05 and good fps in games. But from about a week there was a sharp drop in performance - around 50%. On 3D mark now i receive below 5K pts, and the fps inside games dropped almost twice. I reinstalled windows tried with different drivers but there is no change. Before this problem appeared I haven't done any hardware or software changes. Does anyone have an ideq what might be wrong and what should I check?

thank you in advance.

Kolio

Kolio

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I am not getting artifacts, and the temps are 45-48 idle and around 65 when playing. I excluded viruses from the possible causes of the problem because I did a clean windows installation then installed the drivers and 3Dmark and the results were the same. I was wondering whether it is possible to have less pipelines working for some reasons or some problem with the PCI-E slot. According to the Riva tuner and the ati tool the frequencies are normal. I did test on the CPU only and it showed the same results as before.

I can't think of any reason pipelines would stop working other than hardware malfunction, I'm sorry to say but it sounds like you might have a sick card there my friend, have you tried to get in touch with the manufacture at all?, if not then I would do so were I in your shoes.

Kolio

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
thanks for the help. No the only thing I have to figure out is how to convince the sellet that the lower performance is a guarantee case ;) Is there any way to check how many pipelines are working?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
if all you have to do is prove a performance drop just look online for soomeone with a similar system and print off there score, and then run 3dmark and print off yours from the website so it shows your hardware and send it to wherever.