DCS-1000W vs. DCS-2100+

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 15, 2004 8:55:22 PM

Is there really a difference between the two camera?

What is the best way to hook up either camera to TV? Is the supplied
software capable of auto-launching into full screen mode?

Thanks!

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

More about : dcs 1000w dcs 2100

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 10:19:48 PM

dlinks wont hook up to the TV without some kind of network media adapter...
its stricktly standard Network Cat5/RJ45 no tv type video out.

dont have one but the 2100 is probably much nicer for www as its a mpeg
stream(updates only differences in each pic frame) which uses much less
bandwidth rather than multi image/jpeg(flapping each whole pic frame) of the
900/1000
Also might keep in mind dcs 2100 doesnt do 640x480 , only half that.

If you want TV out, might look into getting a CCTV for a lot less money
that'll do alot better pic.

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Is there really a difference between the two camera?
>
> What is the best way to hook up either camera to TV? Is the supplied
> software capable of auto-launching into full screen mode?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 15, 2004 10:33:56 PM

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in news:8nAfc.33414$hd3.27151
@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

> If you want TV out, might look into getting a CCTV for a lot less money
> that'll do alot better pic.

Yeah... but unfortunately it's very hard to run wires to the location where
I want to put the cameras. In the end, Wireless CCTV may end up costing the
same as WIFI.

Too bad none of the GUIs provided with the cameras were really intended for
TV display. It would have been a nice option to provide an autostart-
fullscreen gui so I could output via a TV card ; )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 16, 2004 12:34:27 AM

if your computers TV out card will output your monitor screen to a TV like
some laptops do, then anything your monitor can display can be output to the
TV - you can write an ActiveX web page for virtually any screen size and
output it to the monitor . Default largest for the dcs900/1000 cams are
640x480 so if video card is set there ,` that is probably best
output,,,, don't know what bigger will look like on a TV but with larger
than default on a web page - the pic looses quality fast. I do my laptop
with a cam at 1024x768 ,,, for a quick easy zoom and its OK but not quality.

> "bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in news:8nAfc.33414$hd3.27151
> @nwrddc03.gnilink.net:
>
> > If you want TV out, might look into getting a CCTV for a lot less money
> > that'll do alot better pic.
>
> Yeah... but unfortunately it's very hard to run wires to the location
where
> I want to put the cameras. In the end, Wireless CCTV may end up costing
the
> same as WIFI.
>
> Too bad none of the GUIs provided with the cameras were really intended
for
> TV display. It would have been a nice option to provide an autostart-
> fullscreen gui so I could output via a TV card ; )
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 16, 2004 2:33:37 PM

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:55:22 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

>Is there really a difference between the two camera?

Note that the DWL-2OOO requires MS IE to view the stream, the 1000 and 900
do not.

For many, this doesn't matter for a few, it's a show stopper.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 16, 2004 8:15:51 PM

gerry <gerrry_net@gogood.com> wrote in
news:p grv70llc7k77ouccktqcfsu9j2dsuh9pp@4ax.com:

> Note that the DWL-2OOO requires MS IE to view the stream, the 1000 and
> 900 do not.

Hmmm the 1000 and 900 look more tempting. It seems that they use standard
HTTP PUSH which would be easy to implement a custom interface.

It's too bad Dlink doesn't provide an API/SDK to access their products : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 16, 2004 11:00:08 PM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:15:51 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

>gerry <gerrry_net@gogood.com> wrote in
>news:p grv70llc7k77ouccktqcfsu9j2dsuh9pp@4ax.com:
>
>> Note that the DWL-2OOO requires MS IE to view the stream, the 1000 and
>> 900 do not.
>
>Hmmm the 1000 and 900 look more tempting. It seems that they use standard
>HTTP PUSH which would be easy to implement a custom interface.
>
>It's too bad Dlink doesn't provide an API/SDK to access their products : )

D-Link's support FAQ pages have information on how to access the stream
for the 1000 and 900.

<http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1283&ques...;

2xxx requires MS ActiveX.

It's too bad D-Link is so MS centric. I have DWL-2000AP access points,
spec says any current browser to manage them. When changing settings, the
"Apply" button has bogus javascript. MS IE lets the error go by, Netscape,
Mozilla... do not.

D-Link support doesn't know care. The same javascript bug was fixed in the
DI-624 router in December 2003. (or about). Support claims it's not a bug,
it's a "known problem".

Other than being MS centric, they seem to have pretty good stuff. My
DCS-900w isn't bad for it's price. Works either every browser I've tossed
at it. I believe the 1000 has the same functionality.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 17, 2004 4:07:22 AM

> Other than being MS centric, they seem to have pretty good stuff. My
> DCS-900w isn't bad for it's price. Works either every browser I've tossed
> at it. I believe the 1000 has the same functionality.

Do you happen to have your DCS-900W online? Do you think you can send me a
screenshot or two so I can see the quality of the pictures? (maybe a wide-
angle shot of a big room or area)?

My E-mail address is nntp@rogers.com_remove.

Thanks!

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 18, 2004 3:37:03 PM

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:07:22 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

>gerry <gerrry_net@gogood.com> wrote in
>
>> Other than being MS centric, they seem to have pretty good stuff. My
>> DCS-900w isn't bad for it's price. Works either every browser I've tossed
>> at it. I believe the 1000 has the same functionality.
>>

>Do you happen to have your DCS-900W online? Do you think you can send me a
>screenshot or two so I can see the quality of the pictures? (maybe a wide-
>angle shot of a big room or area)?
>
>My E-mail address is nntp@rogers.com_remove.

I'll try and take a three with bright, normal and low indoor lighting
Monday if that is not too late.

I'll put them on the web for any to view.

The 900 has decent CMOS quality, typical CMOS color noise. If they built
the same cam with a ~$30 more CCD sensor, it would be a killer!

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

April 18, 2004 9:48:48 PM

> I'll try and take a three with bright, normal and low indoor lighting
> Monday if that is not too late.
>
> I'll put them on the web for any to view.

Great! I'm not in a rush to buy the camera yet... just doing intital
research.

Thanks alot!

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)