E6400, DS3 OC Help (voltages and temps)

muharizj

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hi guys, a couple of questions please.
I have a E6400, Gigabyte DS3 965P mobo combined with G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM. Without any issues while leaving the system voltages on auto, i managed to OC my system to a very respectable 3.2Ghz. FSB @ 400 and ram multiplier @ 2.0 which results in the ram running @ its native 800Mhz yay. Anyways, here are my questions,

Cooling is standard HSF with the thermal paste that came with the cooler, i didnt put my arctic silver yet.

1) The BIOS and Gigabytes EasyTune5 is reporting my idle temp @ 47-49C which i believe is correct. But the application CoreTemp is reporting core0 @ 62C idle and core1 @ 58C app. I have a strong feeling this is wrong. Any ideas?

2) I have left the voltages @ auto - is this dangerous, currently EasyTune5 is reporting the following:

VCoreA 1.420
+3.3V 3.310
+12V 11.850
CPU VID 1.320

I don't have any previous experience with this, any help would me much appreciated. Should I set the voltages to manual and incrementally increase the voltages instead?

Thanks guys.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Do you know for certain what the stock voltage is? If not, set everything back to defaults and use CPU-Z or some such utility to record the stock voltage.

Return to the BIOS and press Ctrl+F1 to reveal advanced options. Manually set your voltage to stock and configure your RAM and FSB as before. Test the machine to see if it's stable, paying attention to temperatures.

My E6400 seems to be a high-average overclocker. I am using a decent cooler and AS5. My CPU requires 1.36v for complete stability @ 3.41 GHz and it idles at 45C and maxes around 58C - 60C during torture testing. Perhaps you could loosely judge your CPU by my results. I don't use any of the motherboard's cooling/throttling features such as EIST - everything is off.

I am guessing that you can achieve 3.2 GHz using 1.36v or less. Using the stock cooler, add 3-5C to my temperatures to guesstimate your results. You'll see your max temperatures during rigorous stability testing but in everyday use, you'll probably never get much above 55C, even when gaming.

*Edit* All of my temperatures are recorded using CoreTemp. They're higher than those reported by EasyTune but well within the limits for the C2D. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

muharizj

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
so it said stock is supposed to be 1.325 or something similar. i took ur advice and set everything manually. i finally settled @ 1.35 vcore and everything else including fsb, mch, ram voltages @ stock coz im running the ram @ 800 using a 2.0 multiplier, hence its @ its native speed i guess. but now my temps dropped by around 5-6C i love it :). and i just did a torture test using Prime, calculated to 32M. i think i'll stick to this for a while.

Does any1 know when u need to increase the following voltages:
1) MCH
2) FSB???

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I haven't had to increase those other voltages yet and my setup is completely stable running the FSB @ 426 MHz. I imagine that the mobo needs a little more juice when you join the 450 MHz plus FSB Club.

You've done pretty well - a 50% overclock using stock cooling. Enjoy the result!

muharizj

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I haven't had to increase those other voltages yet and my setup is completely stable running the FSB @ 426 MHz. I imagine that the mobo needs a little more juice when you join the 450 MHz plus FSB Club.

You've done pretty well - a 50% overclock using stock cooling. Enjoy the result!

You are right, i should be pretty greatful :)
I'm getting a cheap watercooler by wednesday and i'll post my results then. I wonder whether 3.6 will be possible, i've seen some people with such high OC's. But i keep asking myself, what am i gonna do with 3.6Ghz @ the current moment lol. Wish my gpu's would OC this well :p