What the fu-hell<!>

Cassador

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I knew that my first build would sooner or later come back to haunt me! My PC has been up and running for about 2 months with no problems at all. Today I come in and turn it on, it will not load windows, all it does is stays on the MB manufacture screen, where it says press delete for bios, ect. ect. It will not let me into the bios as well. It's a Asus P5B board, I am getting one beep. If I refer to the manual it says one beep could mean the following: keyboard controller error, refresh time error, and finally no master drive detected. I have tryed a different Sata cable to my HD. I have also tryed another HD with an IDE connection. I went out and bought another stick of ram, to verify that wasn't the problem. Not knowing what the keyboard error means, i have tryed another keyboard. I have also unplugged all drives, including the HD. It still would not let me into the bios. Last, the PS has been making a noise for the past 2 weeks. It sounds like a cord is being hit by a fan. This is for sure the PS, as I have unplugged all the fans to figure out where the noise was coming from. I talked to Asus, they said it was my memory? 2 sticks going out together, that doesn't happen alot does it? So what should I do next? Thanks for the help.

Specs.
Core Duo E6400
Asus P5B
Gefore 7600
2 Gig G.Skill ram
Seagate 250G

Cassador

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well, the PC came on later on tonight for no reasoning. It logged on like normal, and has been on for about 5 hours. Any suggestions, should I look into trading out the power supply? Any help, or suggestions is appreciated.

Cassador

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Yo neglected to mention what PSU you have. This could be the sorce of the problem.

Yeah, I apologize. I was trying to remember what all to post about, and forgot that! It is a Ultra X2 Connect 550 Watt PS. It does not make the noise constantly, but it has been increasing in duration this week. Could anything else cause the PC to not come on, then back on a couple hours later? I would like to fix the problem before I have to worry about it again, rather than just forget it.

lyssword

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I think this is a hard drive/boot issue. Find boot.ini (by hooking up ur hd to another comp, if possible) and tell me what it says. Or u can just copy from ur working comp. It should say multi(0) drive 0 (all 0's)
To view boot.ini you need to enable "view hidden files" It should be in C: folder

Mr_Gasket

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Ok this is a dumb question but fear not, there is a dumb explanation to follow :lol: .If he is useing usb keyboard mabey via usb hub lets say OS loses drivers.In the bios it could be set to halt on keyboard error.So even swap of usb keyboard (if though hub)would still cause this error.If keyboard is ps/2 all my typing was in vain.
Now for dumb explanation: Ive done it :roll:
goodluck