USB Hard Disk Driver for Windows Mobile 2003

February 24, 2005 4:59:04 AM

Hi,

I own a Toshiba E830W Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 2003.

I would like to connect an Apricorn EBM-40 USB Hard Disk to it.

The E830W has a USB Host connector on it (with the proper cable, which I
have), and the Apricorn EBM-40 doesn't need an external power supply (i.e.
it will satisfy itself with the 500ma it can take from the USB bus).

When I connect the drive to the PPC, it sees a new USB device, but it
doesn't have a driver for it, and it's asking for a driver name.

Toshiba has been no help, and I have emailed Apricorn but have not received
a reply yet.

I wonder if anyone has seen a driver.

Thank you,

Rikus
February 24, 2005 4:59:05 AM

Search for the RATOC driver and install the mass storage portion only. It
works with standard hard drives. Might work with that. You will probably
need an external power supply or a powered usb hub but that will be obvious
if necessary. The 830 will tell you
Terry.

"Rikus" <rikusmNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I own a Toshiba E830W Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 2003.
>
> I would like to connect an Apricorn EBM-40 USB Hard Disk to it.
>
> The E830W has a USB Host connector on it (with the proper cable, which I
> have), and the Apricorn EBM-40 doesn't need an external power supply (i.e.
> it will satisfy itself with the 500ma it can take from the USB bus).
>
> When I connect the drive to the PPC, it sees a new USB device, but it
> doesn't have a driver for it, and it's asking for a driver name.
>
> Toshiba has been no help, and I have emailed Apricorn but have not
> received a reply yet.
>
> I wonder if anyone has seen a driver.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rikus

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:26:10 PM

Are you sure a ppc can supply such a high current? Even on PC's not all
USB connectors are powered, some supply under 100mA- I'd guess your ppc
would be less.

"Rikus" <rikusmNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I own a Toshiba E830W Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 2003.
|
| I would like to connect an Apricorn EBM-40 USB Hard Disk to it.
|
| The E830W has a USB Host connector on it (with the proper cable,
which I
| have), and the Apricorn EBM-40 doesn't need an external power supply
(i.e.
| it will satisfy itself with the 500ma it can take from the USB bus).
|
| When I connect the drive to the PPC, it sees a new USB device, but it
| doesn't have a driver for it, and it's asking for a driver name.
|
| Toshiba has been no help, and I have emailed Apricorn but have not
received
| a reply yet.
|
| I wonder if anyone has seen a driver.
|
| Thank you,
|
| Rikus

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 4:14:18 PM

I dont sure, but heard that there is Mass Storage Device driver it fits for
USB CD-DVD ROM drives and USB Flash.
Try to search it.
By the way, does this HDD need special driver on PC?
And i think using power from PDA is not good idea.

!