Getting really tired of....

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Scripting errors on the Toms Hardware site.

...Every other day the Toms Hardware home page asks me which country/language I prefer.

...the "Error on page" message athat appears in the IE status bar every other time I visit the site

...the site randomly deciding that it will not allow me to automatically log in.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004

IIRC, IE8 is supposed to be much more standards compliant than previous versions, so it's odd then that I should be having any problems. Whether that's true or not, IE has a 60~70% browser marketshare. Drop IE 6 share from the pool (justified, IMO) and you're looking at 35~40% share. Given that, the fancy stuff that's possible by building on Firefox may be a nice technical achievement, but if these features come at the cost of making the site work incorrectly/inconsistently for 35~40% of your users, the cost of these features are too high, and not representative of good business sense (my opinion).

randomizer

Champion
IE8 gets 20/100 in the Acid3 test for me, whereas FF 3.6 gets 92/100 (still not perfect).

I agree that IE 7/8 should be supported properly (although it would be much better if MS didn't try to redefine every standard and screw up the world), but IE6 needs to die. Web developers can't keep using hacks to try and get standardised features to work on a completely broken browser for the rest of time. There comes a point where security of a website is more paramount than allowing employees of businesses that are so behind in the world as to be using IE6 to stop doing their work and surf the web without problems.

If IE6 wasn't such a failure at standards compliance there would be no issue with internal company websites only working on it (requiring redevelopment now to work on newer browsers), and therefore companies could more easily move to newer browsers.

Had the same problems, installed Firefox, viola', no more problems.
I have to say, you never really understand just what a screwed up mess IE is until you try a decent browser. I cannot believe I was stuck using it for so long, there really are much, much, much, better browsers out there, we kid you not.

randomizer

Champion

You shouldn't have to "choose" to support a browser. If it is standards-compliant, it will be compatible by any standards-compliant website. IE is not standards-compliant, so you need to hack things to make it work. IE is the problem, not the site.

IE6 was the worst bungle of all. I saw a job advertisement 2 days ago where one of the requirements was knowing about IE6 website hacks. :sarcastic:

luc2k

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
What's with the change in article comments? Why was show comments by type removed and why does focus move to the top every time I change the comments page, I don't need to read the article with every new page?

This is something I'm "getting really tired of" because it was better a few weeks ago.

p.s.: hopefully this is the right forum for this

randomizer

Champion
The comments system has been buggy lately, I agree. I often can't change comments page without refreshing the whole page. This is especially true when I'm on Linux, but sometimes in Windows as well. Both times using Firefox 3.6.

EDIT: Bah, I can't show or hide comments any more either. Makes it difficult to respond to people posting rubbish!

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Indeed. I'm not sure if there is another forum where we can bug people about this, but I experience the same. This is just a quote from a news page...[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom][citation][nom]lordcrazex[/nom]is it just me or the 'Show' & 'Hide' button aren't working as they should be... ..& this has been going on for days...uh..is Tom's being hacked?[/citation]
I noticed this too... Show/Hide hasn't worked since, uhm, Tuesday I think. It doesn't work on Chrome 4.0.249.89, FF3.6, or IE8, IE6 doesn't work and also gives script errors. Also, changing pages on the comments screen pulls me back to the top of the page with the aforementioned browsers.[/citation]

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I hate the language pop-up. It never remembers the language for me and I use both chrome and firefox. Explorer just isn't secure enough for me. And if I click on the language, it doesn't do anything just reloads it back up. I have to click X in the upper right corner to close it. I've been having trouble with it since It has been added to tomshardware. I have the same problem at home or at work.

There has to be a better solution than this thing.

crenca

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
The language pop-up is a problem for anyone who clears cookies upon a browser close (I set my browsers to do this) and for anyone who tries to view the site on a mobile.

IMO Tom's Hardware is strangely behind the curve on pop-ups...

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Same here, FF and no, cookies work perfectly everywhere except on tom's.
For whatever reason, I can't enter the US site atm, only the Europeans' one work.

nanotube

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
IE8 script errors. I had to download Google Chrome just to post this message. Also getting tired of the survey page when I enter Toms Hardware for the first time. Tom's must be desperate for ad revenue accepting these annoying ads. It's going to start turning your viewers away.

G

Who's the genius webmaster that does not build website to make sure it works 100% in IE? I'm sorry to say but MS is the dominant browser and when you run an online magazine to get across a large demographics, building and testing it on any other browser is secondary to microsoft. That's like rule#1 for any webmaster. I now have this annoying survey popping up even after I completed it.