Build Question

Trip

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi everyone,
I've recently completed a new build, (X6800, AW9D-Max, 2GB Corsair XMS2, etc.)
I tried installing windows onto it this morning, I have a fresh ISO image (from MSDN) on CD. However the system refuses to boot from the cd, complaining about a 'non-system disk or disk error'.
The iso image is fine, I can double-click setup.exe on my old pc and it launces properly.
Can anyone point me in the right direction. Incidentally, the DVD drive is a Plextor PX-760A.

Thanks,

Trip

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Every time I've seen this it has been either a Floppy in its drive (or usb drive...), or that the boot order is set wrong. Make sure CDROM is at the top of the boot list.
Jo

Trip

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Thanks for the response. That was my first thought, and I did actually have a disc in the floppy drive. Restarted with the floppy removed, and still the same. Checked the bios, and the cd is set to be the first boot device.
The message I get on screen is the following:

Boot from CD:
Disk Boot Failure, Insert System CD and press Enter.

The DVD drive is getting power, the Verbatim CD-R is listed as compatible, and I can hear the drive working. But no joy so far.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I guess try the cdrom from your old comp. You could even download the whole DVD to a small partition on your HD & install from there to the main partition.

I ususally check if my cd is communicating with the rest of my machine by popping in Knoppix Linux-On-CD. It runs straight from CD without installation, so if it boots you know the system to DVD communication is fine.

Jo

Trip

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi. The linux build reported the same 'non-system disc' error. So now I'm particularly confused, I have tried two dvd drives, with two sets of cables and both connectors on each cable.

Has anyone seen this kind of nonsense before?

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
One more thing I can think of is that on new motherboards there is sometimes only 1 IDE & it is controlled by the same controller as 1 sata (separate from the controller with 4-6 other sata's). This controller has to be set to work for IDE, not RAID nor AHCI.
Jo

Trip

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Thanks, but I haven't altered the BIOS in anyway so far - and both HD and CD/DVD seem to be picked up nicely. I was thinking of getting XP-Home for about £60, to rule out any Roxio issues. I'll let you know how I get on.

Trip

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
hi. thanks for the replies. do you know how I may install from usb/HDD? If I wanted to boot/install from usb/hdd do I need an iso image, on its own on the hdd?

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
The linux build reported the same 'non-system disc' error.
Have you verified that the disc is fine by booting it in another system? Maybe a low priority, but worth considering. If the disc boots on another system then you know the problem is in your machine, no?

If you don't have another machine at home, how about friend's system or laptop or a machine at work?

-john

Trip

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
The linux build initiates in my old pc, so at this point I'm looking at getting a USB DVD drive to take over the installation.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
if ur cd drive is connected to the 3rd party IDE controller (so if ur dvd drive is not SATA) vista will not install same for older linux say 2months old, i have this prob wit my dq6 board

Trip

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Went to Dixons this morning, 49.99 later and I have an LG super multi. Connected it to the usb port at rear, and the installation is going ahead nicely.
I think I'm looking at a weird driver issue, or need to flash the BIOS on board to a later version. Both of my IDE DVDs work with my older pc (3 year old Dell precision 360), so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it.
Anyway the XPSP2 is installing atm so no complaints.
Thanks for all your help.

TRENDING THREADS