help, problem! Im getting very sick of this!

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Hello. I made my own computer like a month back. it has had various problems that have caused me to go insane. i dont feel like explaining past problems. but the current problem is that when i boot up, i get to the win xp loading screen. and after about 3-4 bars go across, the bars just freeze, and the computer sits there doing nothing. is there something i can do that will avoid a reformat? (btw this problem has happened before)

system

E6400
Asus P5b delux
x1900xt
sata 250gig WD
x-fi
lightscribe burner
ultra x-connect X2
1 gig OCZ platinum (x2)

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hello. I made my own computer like a month back. it has had various problems that have caused me to go insane. i dont feel like explaining past problems. but the current problem is that when i boot up, i get to the win xp loading screen. and after about 3-4 bars go across, the bars just freeze, and the computer sits there doing nothing. is there something i can do that will avoid a reformat? (btw this problem has happened before)

system

E6400
Asus P5b delux
x1900xt
sata 250gig WD
x-fi
lightscribe burner
ultra x-connect X2
1 gig OCZ platinum (x2)

8O Someone else with a plethora of problems as me! And the same HDD as I do...maybe that has something to do with it.

You cannot get into Windows correct? Have you changed any BIOS settings? If so, or even if not, try resetting BIOS by taking the battery out of your motherboard and letting it fester in a corner for about 20 minutes before inserting it back into your computer.

Have you already reinstalled Windows once?

By the way...I'm currently battling extreme temperature problems with my two 250GB SATA WDs, if you've measured your HDD temps in the past, could you tell me what they are? Also, if you manage to get back into Windows, could you check what it is and tell me? Sorry to ask for so much...I just really need help too... :(

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I am no expert on the matter but I had a similar problem with one of my system and it was a problem with my memory. Maybe you could try to make your system boot with one just one stick and then with the other and see what happens. You could also use MemTest to see if it detects any problem with your memory.

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
alright you guys. i actually decided to reformat, and now its working fine. I dont know what the problem was. and for the guy with the harddrive temps, mine are usually about 45 degrees C. not sure how acurate it is though.

k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
this sounds oddly familier to the mup.sys error alot of people have after an automatic update goes in..

Did your comp do a restart after an update than start causing this?

k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
hehehe :) Ive had the SAME EXACT problem on 4 completally diffrent systems and a laptop recently.. when I say recently I mean within the last 2 months..

Basically what happened was comp restarted after auto update..

froze.. try to go safe mode was getting stuck at mup.sys researched. found out that mup.sys was actually loading but it was the next driver catching..

UPDATE.SYS!! is the culprit.. :)

SOLUTION!!

Toss in you XP CD.. when you get to the screen that asks if you want to install or recover.. choss install..

It will say it detects a installation and will ask if you wish to repair it.. say yes and it will go through what seems to be another installation.. when thats all done.. you should be fine :)