Creative NX Pro-query/poor picture?

Hello,i recently bought a creative webcam NX Pro and had hoped for
better but i find the image quality poor. Perhaps i should have done
more research but i find that it cannot deal with high light levels
very well and the picture is greatly overexposed. The software has an
auto exposure setting but even if i over-ride this and put it on
manual at the lowest setting,its still overexposed. This only happens
when pointing the cam outside eg looking through a window. Even on
relatively dull days,it cannot cope with high external light levels.

Is this a common thing with webcams or have i perhaps got a faulty
product?

joe
10 answers Last reply
More about creative query poor picture

    tarquinlinbin wrote:
    > Hello,i recently bought a creative webcam NX Pro and had hoped for
    > better but i find the image quality poor. Perhaps i should have done
    > more research but i find that it cannot deal with high light levels
    > very well and the picture is greatly overexposed. The software has an
    > auto exposure setting but even if i over-ride this and put it on
    > manual at the lowest setting,its still overexposed. This only happens
    > when pointing the cam outside eg looking through a window. Even on
    > relatively dull days,it cannot cope with high external light levels.
    >
    > Is this a common thing with webcams or have i perhaps got a faulty
    > product?

    > joe

    Many cameras do this. It's a problem in that you can't get relatively
    inexpensive sensors that can cope with the wide range of conditions -
    and as most people use webcams inside where they need good response in
    lower light levels, many max out if pointed outside.

    Try - reducing the amount of sky/reflective/pale surfaces in the frame,
    shielding the lens from direct sun falling on it, and putting a pair of
    sunglasses over it to reduce the light levels hitting the sensor.

    A lot of the time careful positioning can reduce the amount of
    white-out, or the time spent in whiteout.

    Velvet

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:47:09 GMT, Velvet <velvet@not.a.valid.domain>
    wrote:

    >Many cameras do this. It's a problem in that you can't get relatively
    >inexpensive sensors that can cope with the wide range of conditions -
    >and as most people use webcams inside where they need good response in
    >lower light levels, many max out if pointed outside.
    >
    >Try - reducing the amount of sky/reflective/pale surfaces in the frame,
    >shielding the lens from direct sun falling on it, and putting a pair of
    >sunglasses over it to reduce the light levels hitting the sensor.
    >
    >A lot of the time careful positioning can reduce the amount of
    >white-out, or the time spent in whiteout.
    >
    >Velvet
    Yes this is what i had thought. I went over to the creative web site
    though and in the support section, they have seen fit to produce a new
    updated driver specifically aimed at addressing the problem of
    overexposure when used to film outside. I duly downloaded the new
    driver and now find that its even worse!!,,argghh.

    I can only assume then that this problem has been flagged to creative
    a number of times by their customers. I have emailed them for further
    but am not expecting much!.

    When i look at webcams around the world, many of them are filming
    outside scenes , sunsets ,well known locations etc and yet the
    pictures are very reasonable. I wonder what sort of webcams these
    people use?.

    If anyone out there has simiolar problems with the nx pro or has one
    that works great outisde, i;d love to hear from them. Also if anyone
    can recommend a cam they use which works very well in and out ,that
    would be usefull also. I think this one will be getting returned!..

    replies via group or email joelough1999@yahoo.co.uk but dont forget to
    change the 1999 to 2003 !.

    tarquinlinbin wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:47:09 GMT, Velvet <velvet@not.a.valid.domain>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Many cameras do this. It's a problem in that you can't get relatively
    >>inexpensive sensors that can cope with the wide range of conditions -
    >>and as most people use webcams inside where they need good response in
    >>lower light levels, many max out if pointed outside.
    >>
    >>Try - reducing the amount of sky/reflective/pale surfaces in the frame,
    >>shielding the lens from direct sun falling on it, and putting a pair of
    >>sunglasses over it to reduce the light levels hitting the sensor.
    >>
    >>A lot of the time careful positioning can reduce the amount of
    >>white-out, or the time spent in whiteout.
    >>
    >>Velvet
    >
    > Yes this is what i had thought. I went over to the creative web site
    > though and in the support section, they have seen fit to produce a new
    > updated driver specifically aimed at addressing the problem of
    > overexposure when used to film outside. I duly downloaded the new
    > driver and now find that its even worse!!,,argghh.
    >
    > I can only assume then that this problem has been flagged to creative
    > a number of times by their customers. I have emailed them for further
    > but am not expecting much!.
    >
    > When i look at webcams around the world, many of them are filming
    > outside scenes , sunsets ,well known locations etc and yet the
    > pictures are very reasonable. I wonder what sort of webcams these
    > people use?.
    >
    > If anyone out there has simiolar problems with the nx pro or has one
    > that works great outisde, i;d love to hear from them. Also if anyone
    > can recommend a cam they use which works very well in and out ,that
    > would be usefull also. I think this one will be getting returned!..
    >
    > replies via group or email joelough1999@yahoo.co.uk but dont forget to
    > change the 1999 to 2003 !.

    I use creative webcams - the pc-cam300 iirc. You can see them (feeds 1
    and 3) on my website at http://www.velvetpurrs.com/webcam.html if you
    fancy. Feed 1 points ESEish, feed 3 points SW. Both are hit by direct
    sunlight at some point in the day, feed 1 tends to be earlyish morning,
    feed 3 is some time in the afternoon. Feed 4 is offline currently, and
    was served by a very old webcam with a CMOS sensor. The creative cam
    300 uses a CCD sensor, which I've found to be far better than CMOS.
    (feed 2 is an IR CCTV, not a webcam).

    I'm in the UK, but all the feeds have timestamps on if you want to work
    out when to check back and compare. At the moment I'm not taking any
    steps to shade the cams, just being careful where they are pointed.

    Some white-out does occurr, but it's livable with for my purposes.

    Velvet

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:06:38 GMT, Velvet <velvet@not.a.valid.domain>
    wrote:

    >I use creative webcams - the pc-cam300 iirc. You can see them (feeds 1
    >and 3) on my website at http://www.velvetpurrs.com/webcam.html if you
    >fancy. Feed 1 points ESEish, feed 3 points SW. Both are hit by direct
    >sunlight at some point in the day, feed 1 tends to be earlyish morning,
    >feed 3 is some time in the afternoon. Feed 4 is offline currently, and
    >was served by a very old webcam with a CMOS sensor. The creative cam
    >300 uses a CCD sensor, which I've found to be far better than CMOS.
    >(feed 2 is an IR CCTV, not a webcam).
    >
    >I'm in the UK, but all the feeds have timestamps on if you want to work
    >out when to check back and compare. At the moment I'm not taking any
    >steps to shade the cams, just being careful where they are pointed.
    >
    >Some white-out does occurr, but it's livable with for my purposes.
    >
    >Velvet
    Hi again velevet,thanks for the reply and i did check your cams,all
    working well. I tried your trick using a sunglass lens and guess what?
    it works very well!. If i can just fashion a piece of sunglass into
    the right diamter to sit just in front of the lens, I'll have it
    sorted. Which software do you use by the way?

    ta

    joe

    joelough1999@yahoo.co.uk but remember to change the 1999 to 2003!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    tarquinlinbin wrote:

    > Hi again velevet,thanks for the reply and i did check your cams,all
    > working well. I tried your trick using a sunglass lens and guess what?
    > it works very well!. If i can just fashion a piece of sunglass into
    > the right diamter to sit just in front of the lens, I'll have it
    > sorted. Which software do you use by the way?
    >
    > ta
    >
    > joe

    Glad it was of use! I use paid version of webcamXP pro
    (www.webcamxp.com iirc) - it supports up to 5 sources, does streaming
    video as well as timed ftp uploads, can either be embedded in an
    existing website (as mine is) or has its own 'gallery' pages and html
    server built in.

    It's the most stable software I've found to date (webcam32 was the
    previous contender for the award but would crash every few days/hours),
    and I'm very pleased with it - though it is quite expensive, I believe
    in funding an application which is useful and works well, especially if
    I use it every day :-)

    Velvet
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    use blue tack to stick that sunglass lens to yr webcam

    i have various cameras set up here for my own use and sunglass lenses have
    been the most usefull addition
    they should come with one allready cut to shape !!

    regards slayer

    --
    if the following image offends then dont look at it...

    /' /)
    ,/_ /
    / /
    /'_'/' '/'_'7,
    /'/ / / /" \
    ('( ' ' _~/
    \ '\
    '\' \ \ \ _7
    \ (
    \ \.

    slayer in da house annoying the people

    ERROR 404 SIG NOT FOUND . END OF INSTRUCTION , PROGRAM FAILED TO
    INITIALIZE. KILL ALL ENEMIES OF THE UK AND COALITION FORCES NOW !!!

    SOME PEOPLE ENJOY SIPPING FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE...........

    PERSONALLY ,,,, i like to take huge gulps..........

    remove my shorts to email me direct....

    http://www.rselby.com/tips.htm windowx xp tips

    regards slayer

    phlem1@myshortsbtinertnet.com
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:14:43 +0000 (UTC), "SlAyEr"
    <phlem1MYSHORTS@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >use blue tack to stick that sunglass lens to yr webcam
    >
    >i have various cameras set up here for my own use and sunglass lenses have
    >been the most usefull addition
    >they should come with one allready cut to shape !!
    >
    >regards slayer
    Yes,thats just what i was thinking,why cant the makers just include a
    clip on lens or even a photochromic (?) lens to automatically
    lighten/darken?. I;d have happily paid a couple of quid more..
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    tarquinlinbin <noemail@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<33nf801qghu75rvv77h42cvr05rrklsjl5@4ax.com>...
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:14:43 +0000 (UTC), "SlAyEr"
    > <phlem1MYSHORTS@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    > >use blue tack to stick that sunglass lens to yr webcam
    > >
    > >i have various cameras set up here for my own use and sunglass lenses have
    > >been the most usefull addition
    > >they should come with one allready cut to shape !!
    > >
    > >regards slayer
    > Yes,thats just what i was thinking,why cant the makers just include a
    > clip on lens or even a photochromic (?) lens to automatically
    > lighten/darken?. I;d have happily paid a couple of quid more..

    There IS A DAYLIGHT COMPENSATOR built into this cam people!!!!!
    Only thing is, you MUST get the updated driver to find it!
    I recieved mine for my XP machine.
    Get yours at the Creative Labs support page, select NX Pro from
    Webcams, and OS.
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

    You will find the control in the advanced section of the source
    control. Where you currently see the 50Hz & 60Hz refresh rates, you
    will now find an "Outdoor" radio button. Again, this is for the
    updated XP driver. Other OS's may have same feature in updated
    driver, but can't garunteee it.
    Hope this helps! :D
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Don Gumbert wrote:

    > tarquinlinbin <noemail@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<33nf801qghu75rvv77h42cvr05rrklsjl5@4ax.com>...
    >
    >>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:14:43 +0000 (UTC), "SlAyEr"
    >><phlem1MYSHORTS@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>use blue tack to stick that sunglass lens to yr webcam
    >>>
    >>>i have various cameras set up here for my own use and sunglass lenses have
    >>>been the most usefull addition
    >>>they should come with one allready cut to shape !!
    >>>
    >>>regards slayer
    >>
    >>Yes,thats just what i was thinking,why cant the makers just include a
    >>clip on lens or even a photochromic (?) lens to automatically
    >>lighten/darken?. I;d have happily paid a couple of quid more..
    >

    > There IS A DAYLIGHT COMPENSATOR built into this cam people!!!!!
    > Only thing is, you MUST get the updated driver to find it!
    > I recieved mine for my XP machine.
    > Get yours at the Creative Labs support page, select NX Pro from
    > Webcams, and OS.
    > http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/
    >
    > You will find the control in the advanced section of the source
    > control. Where you currently see the 50Hz & 60Hz refresh rates, you
    > will now find an "Outdoor" radio button. Again, this is for the
    > updated XP driver. Other OS's may have same feature in updated
    > driver, but can't garunteee it.
    > Hope this helps! :D

    Well I DON'T HAVE THAT CAM, mister!!!

    Thus I was offering suggestions that'll work on any cam, and that have
    been used on the ones I DO own. Sheesh.

    If you think we're all such thickos you have to post like that, how
    about answering the original post sooner, hmm?

    Velvet
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On 30 Apr 2004 18:51:55 -0700, abcrazy2003@hotmail.com (Don Gumbert)
    wrote:

    >There IS A DAYLIGHT COMPENSATOR built into this cam people!!!!!
    >Only thing is, you MUST get the updated driver to find it!
    >I recieved mine for my XP machine.
    >Get yours at the Creative Labs support page, select NX Pro from
    >Webcams, and OS.
    >http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

    Thanks, i am the OP and i downloaded the new drivers a couple of weeks
    ago. This thread is a few weeks old now..
    thanks

    joe

Webcams Creative Peripherals