Service Pack 2 and Internet Explorer

When I install service pack 2 for Windows XP, Internet Explorer stops
working, although another browser, firefox, works ok. What could be the
problem and how can I resolve it?

"C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> When I install service pack 2 for Windows XP, Internet Explorer stops
> working, although another browser, firefox, works ok. What could be
> the problem and how can I resolve it?

SP2 is much more sensitive to adware and spyware.
CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

In news:eSf5MLr6EHA.1120@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
C Tate <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> typed:

> When I install service pack 2 for Windows XP, Internet Explorer
> stops
> working, although another browser, firefox, works ok. What
> could be
> the problem and how can I resolve it?

Please help us to help you. What does "stops working" mean? What
happens when you try? If you get an error message, please quote
it verbatim

For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup

Basically Internet Explorer won't open at all. I then get the standard 'do
you want to send an error report to Microsoft' box. I have also discovered
that Adobe Acrobat won't open either.
> In news:eSf5MLr6EHA.1120@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> C Tate <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> typed:
>
>> When I install service pack 2 for Windows XP, Internet Explorer stops
>> working, although another browser, firefox, works ok. What could be
>> the problem and how can I resolve it?
>

> Please help us to help you. What does "stops working" mean? What happens
> when you try? If you get an error message, please quote it verbatim
>
> For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi,
Its got nothing to do with viruses and spyware.
Im hearing more and more acounts of programs not working after SP2 install.
I had problems with "FL Studio" a sample sequencer and a friend of mine has
problems with "Clean" an audio converter.
Uninstall SP2 and they work OK again.
Microsoft look so professional with their jazzy websites etc. but they are
an amatuer outfit.
Go Linux.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

> "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > When I install service pack 2 for Windows XP, Internet Explorer stops
> > working, although another browser, firefox, works ok. What could be
> > the problem and how can I resolve it?
>
> SP2 is much more sensitive to adware and spyware.
> CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
> download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
> (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
> your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
> enable you to regain your connection.
>
> See
> Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
> won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
> before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
> than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
> **Post your HijackThis log to
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
> Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
> may be found on this page:
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
>

> See this link for information about malware:
> http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars
>
> If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

The problem is almost always systems that were not completely cleaned of
viruses and spyware before installing SP2.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Painter666" <Painter666@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Its got nothing to do with viruses and spyware.
> Im hearing more and more acounts of programs not working after SP2
> install. I had problems with "FL Studio" a sample sequencer and a
> friend of mine has problems with "Clean" an audio converter.
> Uninstall SP2 and they work OK again.
> Microsoft look so professional with their jazzy websites etc. but
> they are an amatuer outfit.
> Go Linux.
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> When I install service pack 2 for Windows XP, Internet Explorer
>>> stops working, although another browser, firefox, works ok. What
>>> could be the problem and how can I resolve it?
>>
>> SP2 is much more sensitive to adware and spyware.
>> CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these
>> programs , download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
>> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
>> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
>> (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware
>> may kill your internet connection. If this should occur, this
>> program, LSPFIX, will enable you to regain your connection.
>>
>> See
>> Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
>>
>> Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the
>> other won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's
>> update function before every use, even when just downloaded.
>> There's also a lot more to do than just those two programs.
>> CWShredder is also available here:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip **Post
>> your HijackThis log to
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
>> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not
>> here.** Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis
>> and CWShredder may be found on this page:
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
>>

>> See this link for information about malware:
>> http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars
>>
>> If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Many thanks. I will try removing all spyware. However, after 3 days trying
to get my computer back on line after the last attempt, I am a little
reluctant!