Where is ScanDisk?

I have version 5.1.2600 service pack 2 Build 2600. I have a new game [Sim
City] that says before installing the software I should run ScanDisk followed
by Disk Defragmenter. I know where Disk Defragmenter is but my computer says
there is no ScanDisk. What program on my computer does the job of ScanDisk?
Or do I need to download it? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about where scandisk

    Start>Run "chkdsk.exe"

    chkdsk has replaced Scandisk

    Gord

    binkr2 wrote:
    > I have version 5.1.2600 service pack 2 Build 2600. I have a new game [Sim
    > City] that says before installing the software I should run ScanDisk followed
    > by Disk Defragmenter. I know where Disk Defragmenter is but my computer says
    > there is no ScanDisk. What program on my computer does the job of ScanDisk?
    > Or do I need to download it? Thanks.

    WinXP does not have a program called "Scandisk," as this was a Win9x/Me
    program. Instead, because WinXP is descended from the WinNT/2K OS
    family, it has a command line utility called "Chkdsk," which performs
    much better.

    Start > Run > Cmd > Chkdsk.exe /? for the correct syntax and
    available options.

    Alternatively, double-click My Computer > right-click the desired
    hard drive > Properties > Tools > Error-checking/Check Now. This will
    run Chkdsk, normally on the next reboot.

    Unless you are actually experiencing a specific problem related to your
    hard drive's file system, there's no real need to run Chkdsk. There's
    certainly no need to do so prior to installing a game. (Although
    periodically defragging a partition is good advice.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "binkr2" <binkr2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have version 5.1.2600 service pack 2 Build 2600. I have a new game
    >[Sim
    > City] that says before installing the software I should run ScanDisk
    > followed
    > by Disk Defragmenter. I know where Disk Defragmenter is but my
    > computer says
    > there is no ScanDisk. What program on my computer does the job of
    > ScanDisk?
    > Or do I need to download it? Thanks.

    It's back in a 95-based version of Windows. You don't have that
    anymore. Did you even try to use Start -> Help and Support to search on
    "scandisk"?

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > binkr2 wrote:
    >
    >> I have version 5.1.2600 service pack 2 Build 2600. I have a new game
    >> [Sim City] that says before installing the software I should run
    >> ScanDisk followed by Disk Defragmenter. I know where Disk Defragmenter
    >> is but my computer says there is no ScanDisk. What program on my
    >> computer does the job of ScanDisk? Or do I need to download it? Thanks.
    >

    > WinXP does not have a program called "Scandisk," as this was a
    > Win9x/Me program. Instead, because WinXP is descended from the WinNT/2K
    > OS family, it has a command line utility called "Chkdsk," which performs
    > much better.
    >
    > Start > Run > Cmd > Chkdsk.exe /? for the correct syntax and
    > available options.
    >
    > Alternatively, double-click My Computer > right-click the desired
    > hard drive > Properties > Tools > Error-checking/Check Now. This will
    > run Chkdsk, normally on the next reboot.
    >
    > Unless you are actually experiencing a specific problem related to
    > your hard drive's file system, there's no real need to run Chkdsk.
    > There's certainly no need to do so prior to installing a game.
    > (Although periodically defragging a partition is good advice.)

    Bruce, I find chkdsk/r to be a worthwhile program
    to use more or less regularly. Somehow, it almost
    always finds a broken file, or something to fix.
    Maybe my OS isn't badly broke, but I don't mind the
    20 minutes it takes to chkdsk (pit stop and all that).

    Perhpas there is a version which checks dynamic
    performance of the hard drive (read, write, butterfly,
    etcetera)? I don't think that either of the Tools I got
    from Seagate and Western Digital do that.

    Bill Lurie

Computers Microsoft Windows XP