Firefox help

I had to re-install my entire system due to another virus. Thankfully, I
was able to save everything as far as pics and files... but I need the stuff
to enter into firefox to stop the top banners :oP might as well get the
same info to stop it in IE, too, if possible.

tankies :oD
4 answers Last reply
More about firefox help

    Thanks for the info, it is really useful! :)

    daramark wrote:
    > OK, for the new year one of the Neoquest sites that was posted earlier
    > this
    > week (last week? anyway http://geocities.com/neoquest_2/intro.html ) has
    > updated. And they have a section on blocking the banner that I will copy,
    > it's on the bottom.
    > My questions are on the IE portion, Does It Work? Will It Make My Darling
    > Mad By Hurting The Thrice Damned Windowz Product (that he wants to rip out
    > anyway)? Would this work for Neoquest II only, or for the whole of
    > Neopets?
    >
    > And just in case he does rip it out, this isn't the way some of you have
    > gotten around the banners in Mozilla, is it? Again, would this particular
    > way hurt his linux or Mozilla?
    >

    > Stop loading the banners!
    > Most of the time, I could ignore the banner on top of the new neopets
    > layout. However, the banner becomes a pain, especially for someone using a
    > slow connection to play NQII. The banner either: (A) Doesn't Load properly
    > (B) Takes a super long time to load.
    >
    > If you are using a browser that can let users have their own custom
    > stylesheets. The info below might be useful to you. If you have software
    > in
    > place to block them, please ignore the information below.
    >
    > Solutions
    > For IE, copy the text below into Notepad, save it as a CSS file (e.g.
    > np.css). The text basically tells the browser not to display the banner in
    > the <div>:
    >
    > div.ban,div#ban {display: none !important;}
    >
    > Then open up IE, go to Tools/Internet Options/Accessibility, click on the
    > "Format documents using style sheet" button. Hit browse, and select the
    > .css
    > file that you saved previously. Hit OK, re-open IE, and it should block
    > the
    > ads, and get rid of the white space.
    >

    > For Netscape Mozilla Firefox (or varients), you can download Adblock
    > extension so the banner don't load. For Mozilla: Install an extension
    > called
    > ChromEdit that makes tracking down and making the config files easier.
    > Restart Firefox after installation. If you already have that extension, go
    > to the Tools menu, select 'Edit User Files'. Click the userContent.css
    > tab,
    > scroll to the bottom of the window and enter this:
    >
    > #ban { display: none !important; }
    >
    > And restart Firefox. Use that together with AdBlock so the banner don't
    > even
    > load.
    >

    > daramark
    >

    >Here is another quick tip that should help speed up everyone's Neopets
    experience.

    Blocking the banners using CSS tweaks is cool, but it really only
    addresses half of the issue. The visual half. Sure, your eyes are
    not being assaulted by ads out the gi-gi (is that hyphenated?), but
    your PC is still contacting the servers containing said ads. The
    second half of the issue is to convince your computer that those
    servers (hosts) do not exist. Surely you have seen your PC attempting
    to connect to "tribalfusion.com", "adserver.com", "realmedia.com" and
    the like while waiting for a Neopets page to load, right? If your PC
    wasn't trying to talk to that @#$* ad site, your page would already be
    fully loaded.

    Rather than re-invent the wheel, here is a link that goes into great
    detail (yet is still easy to read for the non-geeks among us) on how
    you can make your PC stop taking to these other servers:

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    It is not at all specific to Neopets, but it describes how to make
    some relatively simple changes to your PC to block out the vast
    majority of ad-related sites.

    FWIW, the only items I have added to this HOSTS file of which they
    speak are the sites that I know cause me grief on Neopets. I did this
    because this stuff only bothers me when I am restocking or playing
    games that require frequent screen refreshes.

    I do not have this list with me here, but if anyone wants it let me
    know...I can post it later.

    Have fun!

    --
    Ray Newman
    ray@spankaroonietwounderpants.com
    "moofenki" <incowgnito@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I had to re-install my entire system due to another virus. Thankfully, I
    > was able to save everything as far as pics and files... but I need the
    > stuff
    > to enter into firefox to stop the top banners :oP might as well get the
    > same info to stop it in IE, too, if possible.
    >
    > tankies :oD

    OK, I did all this. hadn't done it for IE, nor had I done the HOSTS thing.
    Hope it works.

    "bama" <mjablecki@cox.net> wrote in message
> [...]

    > speak are the sites that I know cause me grief on Neopets. I did this
    > because this stuff only bothers me when I am restocking or playing
    > games that require frequent screen refreshes.
    >
    > I do not have this list with me here, but if anyone wants it let me
    > know...I can post it later.
    >
    > Have fun!
    >
    > --
    > Ray Newman
    > ray@spankaroonietwounderpants.com
    > (remove underpants to reply)
    > http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=goofyspouse
    > "moofenki" <incowgnito@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I had to re-install my entire system due to another virus. Thankfully, I
    >> was able to save everything as far as pics and files... but I need the
    >> stuff
    >> to enter into firefox to stop the top banners :oP might as well get the
    >> same info to stop it in IE, too, if possible.

    Thanks! I finally got the stuff to work for Mozilla. :) Now I might just
    work on the HOSTS file. I know that Ray did post his eventually. I think I
    will check in my 'sent items' folder since I probably said thanks.

    daramark

    i actually experienced some problems when i did the hosts file thing..
    neopets kept freezing up on the bad hosts and not loading, very annoying and
    it led me (along with a great deal of other problems) to reformat the lovely
    hard drive and reinstall my OS

    but some people here had great success with it, so i decided to repost it...

    glad i could help...

    bama

Internet Explorer Firefox Video Games