Keyboard & Mouse Lags

Teknicide

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hey, I have a problem which is really annoying, when I play Day Of Defeat 1.6, My mouse and keyboard tends to lag. Say if I'm running and I stop pressing all buttons, I'll still run for about 5 seconds sometimes, or if I talk in STEAM friends while playing DoD, it lags. Say if I type "I can Type Fast" in reality it takes about 3 seconds for me, but when I say it in friends, it takes about 10 seconds for it to enter.. it goes "I....C..a..n...T.." and so on, the periods I used were representing how long it takes to type it.

Sometimes, I don't know why, but if I press the holy four key 'W' :p to go forward, it enters "say_team" even though team talk or any other chat button has nothing to do with W. Yes I looked in my controls. Sometimes it would do it automatically even if I'm just standing there. My CPU usage is 100% when I play it. Before I went to the store and wasted 200 bucks on 1 gig of RAM, my computer would restart all the time when I join a game, like 5 seconds into it, it would restart my computer. But now I have new RAM, it doesn't restart anymore, it just has the problems I said.

Note: With my old ram, it restarted & and I had the laggyness problem.

I'm no computer expert.

CPU: Intel Celeron, ASRock P4VM800 (2.50Ghz)
RAM:
2 Sticks
(Kingston)
-512MB PC3200 DDR400
-512MB PC3200 DDR400

Hardrive: 250 GB - SATA2 ? I think it is.
VideoCard: ATI Radeon 9600XT (128MB) AGP 4x or 8x

I've installed the most recent driver for the Video Card, and I believe I downloaded the recent drivers for the motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?model=p4vm800

Mostly from 2003 and 2005..

SMARTGART
AGP Speed x8

Fast Write On
AGP Write On
AGP Read On

PCI Write On
PCI Read On

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Hey, I have a problem which is really annoying, when I play Day Of Defeat 1.6, My mouse and keyboard tends to lag. Say if I'm running and I stop pressing all buttons, I'll still run for about 5 seconds sometimes, or if I talk in STEAM friends while playing DoD, it lags. Say if I type "I can Type Fast" in reality it takes about 3 seconds for me, but when I say it in friends, it takes about 10 seconds for it to enter.. it goes "I....C..a..n...T.." and so on, the periods I used were representing how long it takes to type it.

Sometimes, I don't know why, but if I press the holy four key 'W' :p to go forward, it enters "say_team" even though team talk or any other chat button has nothing to do with W. Yes I looked in my controls. Sometimes it would do it automatically even if I'm just standing there. My CPU usage is 100% when I play it. Before I went to the store and wasted 200 bucks on 1 gig of RAM, my computer would restart all the time when I join a game, like 5 seconds into it, it would restart my computer. But now I have new RAM, it doesn't restart anymore, it just has the problems I said.

Note: With my old ram, it restarted & and I had the laggyness problem.

I'm no computer expert.

CPU: Intel Celeron, ASRock P4VM800 (2.50Ghz)
RAM:
2 Sticks
(Kingston)
-512MB PC3200 DDR400
-512MB PC3200 DDR400

Hardrive: 250 GB - SATA2 ? I think it is.
VideoCard: ATI Radeon 9600XT (128MB) AGP 4x or 8x

I've installed the most recent driver for the Video Card, and I believe I downloaded the recent drivers for the motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?model=p4vm800

Mostly from 2003 and 2005..

SMARTGART
AGP Speed x8

Fast Write On
AGP Write On
AGP Read On

PCI Write On
PCI Read On

Ensure you have the correct motherboard/chipset drivers installed. Additionally you never mentioned what type of keyboard mouse you have or if they are USB or PS2. Also ensure you have no viruses, Trojans or other malware on your machine as they tend to hog system resources.

Or you could swap motherboard out if none of those work, but before you do that IRQ listings would be nice.

Teknicide

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
What it says for Keyboard: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard.

Mouse: Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Microsoft Confort optical Mouse 3000

I don't have anything that's wireless :p

I scanned my computer, I have no Viruses or anything. I have the Drivers installed for the Mouse.

I forgot to mention that I get like 30 FPS in DoD 1.6 I can't get a constand 60 or anything, it goes down to 8 FPS if im in the middle of a map.

Teknicide

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
It's at 1024x768, I always have it at that, I changed the resolution a few times and it still doesn't do anything. Doesn't do anything.

Teknicide

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
This stuff is really burning a hole in my wallet, especially when I don't work much lol.

I think I fixed that problem. The only thing I did was.... I set the 'priority' or something to Low, when you press CTRL + ALT + DELETE, task manager. I set hl.exe and steam.exe to Low and my FPS raised and I didn't get anymore Keyboard or mouse lag, so now I'm back to pwning noobs. xP

I don't know what setting the priority' does.

I also considered trying Nvidia instead of ATI.

dipz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Increasing priority on a program dedicates more processing power to that program. What you did was tell your processor to give the game the highest processing priority, even though it's the same processor, and allocates less processing power to background services, etc. The guy before you last reply has a good suggestion. You could upgrade your processor, or try to cut down on background programs while gaming, or increase your resolution to tax your graphics card instead or your processor.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Increasing priority on a program dedicates more processing power to that program. What you did was tell your processor to give the game the highest processing priority, even though it's the same processor, and allocates less processing power to background services, etc. The guy before you last reply has a good suggestion. You could upgrade your processor, or try to cut down on background programs while gaming, or increase your resolution to tax your graphics card instead or your processor.

He said he lowered the priority. If I had to guess, I would say the machine is sending the 3d processes to the onboard graphics, instead of the GPU. Turning down the priority level forced the GPU to take over, but that's just a guess.

I'm not a expert or anything, it's just a feeling I had

Andik

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
please check cable connection first

Mouse: Microsoft PS/2 Mouse with optical often broken.

replace the optical (infra red) with optical for TV.

I try success :wink: