rebuilding a dell pc

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Ever since I finished my first custom build, i've been wanting to do more building. So, I have decided to take the parts out of my old Dell 4550, throw in some newer parts and a case, and have a custom pc.

it currently has:
-P4 @2.4ghz
-1280 mb ram
-AGP x800gto (16 pipes unlocked)
-60gb WD hard drive
-DVD rom and CD/RW drive
-SB Live! card

I will definately need to get a new monitor, since the one hooked to it is an ancient GAteway 2000 CRT monitor.
I do know that the motherboard doesn't have the correct hookups for the powerbutton, hd light etc... so that would mean that I would need a new motherboard in order for the parts to work in a new case.

In total, I would need these things:
-new Power supply (minimum of 350watts)
-a different socket 478 motherboard with DDR memory slots and an AGP slot
- a new case
-different Pentium 4 Heatsink/fan (due to the green hood of death over the cpu heatsink in the dell)

My question is, what motherboard would work well in my situation? I think I would like to try overclocking the cpu since it is old and if I do fry the cpu (I doubt I would do this, but if it did happen) I could just buy a new cpu for $80 on newegg.

Oh, and I would like to use Newegg.com as my site.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
well, I was thinking on at least $200. I probably won't do all this right away since christmas is close by. I am NOT expecting to spend over $500 tops. (I would think that is PLENTY of wiggle room) Maybe it isn't worth it, but I would REALLY like to do it.

Oh, all of this is NOT including monitor right now.

thanks.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
ok, so not over $500 for case, psu, mobo, and hsf. thats pretty easy to do. i cant tell you what kind of case you want, so pick one out that you like. for the hsf, i think you should get a scythe infinity, its $57 right now and one of the best air coolers on the market today in my opinion. i cant help you with the mobo, i know almost nothing about socket 478 chipsets. for the psu i recomend the you get the antec truepower-ll it's 480w, and will easily support the system.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
PC_God, why would I need a new copy of xp? i already have a perfectly fine XP home disc. Make that two copies.

I do like that hsf that apt403 found. I really haven't given much thought to what case yet. I was hoping that someone could suggest a decent P4 motherboard socket 478. O well....

Is it possible to get a cheap AMD socket 939 motherboard and cpu? Because that would be sweeter than an 805.

I may as well throw in a new harddrive as well. If the motherboard has any sata ports, then I would get a faster sata drive to speed things up a bit. I will investigate further.

thanks.