Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns itself off, please help...

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2006 8:08:24 PM

Since I upgraded from agp radeon x800pro to pci-e x1900xt my computer has regularly been turning itself off.
It's only happened when playing oblivion so far, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes it doesn't happen for hours.
The only reasons I can think of for this are overheating, and the PSU not being good enough.
System specs are :

AMD64 3500+ (130nm, I forget which core)
S939 Asus A8N-E
2x512Mb DDR 400
FSP Blue Storm 500W (specs can be found here : http://www.silentpcreview.com/article212-page1.html )
2 hard drives, 1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-RW

Also, I don't know if it's even relevant, but my WLAN PCI card has stopped working. This doesn't really bother me at the moment, I'm more interested in the other problem, just not sure if the 2 things could be connected.

As far as I can tell, the problem isn't heat - even though the case isn't brilliantly ventilated, the same problem occurs with the fans at 100% and the side of the case off. And also, the PSU should be strong enough to cope...
Any thoughts anyone?[/u]

More about : computer turns

November 19, 2006 1:51:28 AM

November 19, 2006 2:32:12 AM

Add more ram.
2 gigs are a must today.
Related resources
November 19, 2006 2:53:33 AM

As much as I'd like to add more ram, I'll probably upgrade the whole thing at some point next year, so I don't want to buy ram now, then replace it with DDR2 soon.
I'm sure that wouldn't fix the problems the machine is currently having though...
November 19, 2006 3:21:10 AM

That is really strange... my first thought would be the PSU, but yours (500W from a respectable company) should be plenty. Monitor your video card temps with something like ATI Tray Tools - if it gets over 90C, your video card cooler may not have been installed well or may have become loose somehow.

If your video card temps are too high, consider re-installing the cooler with some arctic silver, or better yet, just pay $15 for an Accelero X2 (dead silent and dropped the temps on my x1800xt by 15C ).

If your temps are just fine... I don't know what to say. Maybe you just got a bad egg with your PSU. If it's still under warranty, you might try RMA'ing it to get a replacement.
November 19, 2006 3:22:02 AM

I would say your computer is overheating, tripping the emergency shut down built into the motherboard/cpu controller or graphics card. 1900XTX's are hotter than most cards when under load.

Step 1: Make sure the inside of your case is clean of dust and bunnies.

Step 2: Make sure you have adequate airflow, all your fans are working properly, filters are not clogged, etc.

Step 3: Make sure all heat sinks are securely fastened to their respective chips (making complete contact). They could conceivably come loose if the computer got bumped or you transported it recently.

Step 4: Check the operating temp in the Catalyst control panel, you can see it in the 'ATI Overdrive' control interface.

Graphics intensive games make the card heat up quickly. This causes the computer's ambient temperature to rise dramatically if you don't have adequate cooling.

If all your fans are working, and the computer interior is clean, CTRL-ALT-DELETE out of Oblivion and check the card temp. I'll bet you it is high. Normal idle temp is about 55 degrees celcius. If your temp is high you need to invest in some better cooling or perhaps get a better case with improved airflow.
November 19, 2006 8:44:33 AM

Did u remove old Video Card drivers before installing new card?u should of done this first. these might be the problem. Video card drivers are not communicating correctly, because is communicating with both drivers and is confuse. remove old video card drivers and new video card drivers in safe mode... then login to windows and install new video card drivers. if this is not the problem, check cpu fan is spiining,if not this is the problem..cpu is over heating and shuts off automatically to prevent damage to hardware... if this is not the problem, u might have a faulty powersupply. and make sure video card power plug is connected.
November 19, 2006 11:48:18 AM

Quote:
Since I upgraded from agp radeon x800pro to pci-e x1900xt my computer has regularly been turning itself off.
It's only happened when playing oblivion so far, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes it doesn't happen for hours.
The only reasons I can think of for this are overheating, and the PSU not being good enough.
System specs are :

AMD64 3500+ (130nm, I forget which core)
S939 Asus A8N-E
2x512Mb DDR 400
FSP Blue Storm 500W (specs can be found here : http://www.silentpcreview.com/article212-page1.html )
2 hard drives, 1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-RW

Also, I don't know if it's even relevant, but my WLAN PCI card has stopped working. This doesn't really bother me at the moment, I'm more interested in the other problem, just not sure if the 2 things could be connected.

As far as I can tell, the problem isn't heat - even though the case isn't brilliantly ventilated, the same problem occurs with the fans at 100% and the side of the case off. And also, the PSU should be strong enough to cope...
Any thoughts anyone?
[/u]

did you plug the video card power supply cable?

my quess is that the power supply is underpowered..or the video card is faulty
November 19, 2006 2:17:12 PM

The power supply issue does sound like a likely culprit.

The card would have posted a message every time he booted if the power cable was not connected.

In addition, dual 12V rails are not as good as one stable 12V rail. If you can afford it, get a good power supply with ONE 12V rail and a good amp rating. Two 12V rails can become unbalanced depending on what you plug into where. You can accidently overload one rail and leave the other underloaded and you will have the same problem. The power supply is one of, if not the most important part of your computer setup as every peripheral in the system is tied to it. If it goes, your peripherals go including CPU, mobo, video card, etc...
November 23, 2006 3:31:13 PM

Thanks for the replies, apologies for not posting for a few days, I've been away, etc.
Well, since it seems to be the psu is too weak, looks like I'll have to get another one.
It won't boot into windows now either, since the last time it shut off..
Oh well, new PSU, new windows install, the joy...
!