DX Diag issue

kramr

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hi. New here. Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I've been having problems with games crashing. It always seems like it ends in a sound loop before crashing to the desktop. I ran Dxdiag just to see if anything would show up.
Everything checked out except this:

DirectPlay Service Providers
----------------------------
DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnet.dll (5.03.2600.2180)
DirectPlay8 Serial Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnet.dll (5.03.2600.2180)
DirectPlay8 IPX Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnet.dll (5.03.2600.2180)
DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnet.dll (5.03.2600.2180)
Internet TCP/IP Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpwsockx.dll (5.03.2600.2180)
IPX Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpwsockx.dll (5.03.2600.2180)
Modem Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpmodemx.dll (5.03.2600.2180)
Serial Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpmodemx.dll (5.03.2600.2180)

DirectPlay Voice Wizard Tests: Full Duplex: Passed, Half Duplex: Passed, Mic: Failed gracefully
DirectPlay Test Result: Not run

Registry Errors Found:
Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{227AA2C1-ABFC-4A32-85A5-1E6265E02B48}', Value '', Value ''

It's the last entry here. Anyone have any idea what this is? It apears to be in the Direct Play/Direct Voice section of the registry.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hi.

What directx are you running? You should be at 9.0c. If your not sure just download directx 9c and it will copy over old drivers. If you have 9c I would reload it anyway just in case something was corrupt. Under each of the tabs in diagdx, does it say "no problems found"?

Just a few more questions. What's in your system? When you run the diagdx....are your drivers up to date? When you go to the diagdx window, click on the tabs where it says sound, video and see on the top right to see what is the dated driver. Did you build your system? I built my first system because I wanted to save money, know what parts I actually am getting, and know what to update and replace whats broken or just upgrade.

To get the latest drivers go to the website of each of your "parts" namely your soundcard, video, directx, windows xp (if ur not set to automatic updates). Someone told me if system crashes, the easiest explanation is old drivers. What are your graphics and sound cards? Old cards?

kramr

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I built this PC. It's my 4th or 5th one. The video card is an ATI 1800 xt with 512 megs of RAM. The sound card is an Audigy 2 ( not new but should still be supported). I have reloaded 9.0c several times and all of my drivers are up-to-date. I was having occassional crashes on games prior to that but I was able to resolve them. Seems like this started when I got Dark Messiah and now pretty much the same thing with Gothic III.
All the other tabs in dxdiag say everything is okay.
Wish there was some other diagnostic software you could run.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
No prob. Make sure the games support the sound card. I think but dont hold me against it...older sound cards might have trouble with new games. Plus make sure the video card isnt overheating or in danger of overheating. My Alienware laptop was crashing to the desktop and/or shutting itself off. I found out to late that the video card was getting hot enough to fry eggs on it until it finally overheated and died (yes my eggs got burned, lol).