memory and overclocking

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
When I stress my CPU my system is stable but when I stress the CPU and RAM the stressor program (orthos) ends with errors. Any ideas as to which part of the overclock settings would help me fix this?

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
to do this you would have to either bring your fsb/ram multiplier down (it may say somewhere ddr2-800, 667, 533, 400, or whatever, and change that to the next one lower) or you can loosen your ram timings. I'm not sure where they are on your board but on mine I have to go into advanced/cpu settings/ram settings. If you want to find the max OC of your CPU, it is better to bring your ram way down and then overclock until it's unstable. After that you can bring the fsb down a little and bring your ram mulitplier up until it gives you errors, finally after that you can tighten/loosen your ram timings for best preformance.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I know I can make a boot cd, but I just bought the flash drive so I thought I should make use of it. :)

Otherwise my wife will think I'm just wasting money...but isn't that the fun of computers??? :wink:

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Can't....resist...urge...

what's an "ibm"?

IBM - an acronym for International Business Machines. Originally named CTR (Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company) formed in New Youk in June, 1911. It changed its name to International Business Machines in 1917 when it entered the Canadian Market. They got into the electric typewriter business and eventually developed the System/360 (computer) in 1964.

They went on to develop the PS/2 specification for keyboard and mouse ports in 1987.