[SOLVED] My external hard drive is not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash17

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello,
i just bought a new 1.5 Tb Toshiba hard drive. i was to used it with my mac book pro 13 " but it is showing a problem. i cannot store any thing in to it.
can someone help me

Solution
Did you check that it is suitable for use with a Mac? Such a large drive might have been formated as NTFS, which OS X cannot, by default, write to. Open up Disk Utilities and have a look at the drive (if it appears there) to see how it is formatted. If it is NTFS you can reformat it to the Native OS X file system. If it doesn't show at all then the drive is faulty. I take it you are using a separate power supply for the disk?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Bring it back and get another one.

Did you check that it is suitable for use with a Mac? Such a large drive might have been formated as NTFS, which OS X cannot, by default, write to. Open up Disk Utilities and have a look at the drive (if it appears there) to see how it is formatted. If it is NTFS you can reformat it to the Native OS X file system. If it doesn't show at all then the drive is faulty. I take it you are using a separate power supply for the disk?

Solution

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
^^^ +1
Especially a Toshiba external drive.

G-Tech, LaCie, CalDigit, and some Promise drives come pre-formatted for OSX, but I'd still reformat them using my own system anyway. This is also a great time to make decisions regarding partitioning, encryption, and what other systems you might want to share the drive with.

Status
Not open for further replies.