Dell x50 USB Travel Sync Cable

February 24, 2005 7:31:22 AM

>From the website it says:

Use this USB Travel Sync Cable from Dell? to keep your handheld in sync
with your computer. It features a compact design and a port for
connecting to the AC Adapter for easy syncing and charging while you
are on the go. This product has been tested and validated for your
Dell? Axim? X50/X50v Handhelds. It is supported by Dell? Technical
Support when used with a Dell handheld.

I want to know what this means ?

- that it has a USB interface which can charge and sync at the same
time ?

- it can only sync but not charge at the same time

- in order for it to charge, I still need a AC Adapter ? What is this
AC Adapter ? Do I need to buy it ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:38:55 AM

Currently are there Sync&Charge OEM cable available ?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 9:15:21 AM

"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Currently are there Sync&Charge OEM cable available ?

To reply to this and your previous inquiry:

Both the provided USB cradle and the USB sync cable work pretty much in the
same way.

The cradle has a USB connector on one end and a device connector embedded in
the cradle. On the backside of the cradle, the power plug is connected. In
operation, with AC power provided, the unit will sync and charge at the same
time. If no AC power is provided, the X50 will sync with the PC if it is
on, but will not charge. If it is off, it will charge, but of course not
sync.

The cable has a USB connector on one end and a device connector on the
other. On the backside of the device connector, there is a port where the
power plug can be connected. In operation, with AC power provided, the unit
will sync and charge at the same time. If no AC power is provided, the X50
will sync with the PC if it is on, but will not charge. If it is off, it
will charge, but of course not sync.

The only difference between the two chargers is that the Cradle provides a
way for your X50 to sit up pretty while charging, and also provides a second
slot to charge an extra X50 battery.

The sync cable is handy if you are going to travel with your X50 and don't
want to carry the cradle. If you have the time to connect the X50 to a live
PC long enough to charge the X50, you don't even need to bring your AC power
supply with you - but remember, you can only charge the X50 from USB with it
being off and your PC providing power through the USB port.

Regards,

DaShrink
February 24, 2005 9:27:48 AM

>From your note... am I right to say:

The USB Travel Cable can charge the PDA without AC Power. It will draw
power from the USB. However, the PDA must be switch off ? So what
happens when I still use the PDA ? It will stop charging ?

In addition, the USB Travel Cable can also have AC Power connected to
it. In this case, can I charge it when I switch on the PDA ?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:54:46 AM

I found a new Boxwave's DirectSync cable for Dell x50.
It is able to sync and charge using USB only.
However it does not say whether the Dell x50 must be in off mode.
Any one can tell me ? Thanks
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 9:01:08 PM

To this and your previus post. The X50 must be off to charge whether you are
using the cradle with no AC, the Dell cable with no AC or Boxwave's or
ZipLinqs, or Seidio's or whoever's sync'n'charge cable if power is not
provided externally. The only cable i know of off hand that gives you the
capability of running the X50 while it is connected and charge it, is
Dell's.

If you have Boxwave's or any of the others like it connected, and you turn
the unit on, it will simply quit charging.

>I found a new Boxwave's DirectSync cable for Dell x50.
> It is able to sync and charge using USB only.
> However it does not say whether the Dell x50 must be in off mode.
> Any one can tell me ? Thanks

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:22:05 PM

When you say off, does it mean screen backlit off ? Or you suspend the
system ? By suspend, I mean that you press the on/off button and
disconnect active sync.
So off => no activesync ?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:36:36 PM

The reason why I keep asking ... I'm using a Jornada 568 and I can sync
and charge all at the same time, screen on or off, synchronising,
install programs, etc

So it's a bit difficult to understand what exactly is the condition
that allow the Dell x50 to charge and sync AT THE SAME TIME, without
extra AC power.

Thanks for your answers... still what does off mean ? Thanks.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:01:30 AM

Then it might pose a problem for me ?

I normally leave the machine connected to do backup at night. At the
same time, it will charge.

But for Dell x50, after backing up, it will still be on. So it will
not charge ?

If there a setting in Dell x50 that force the machine off when there is
no backup or activesync activities (connection established but no data
being tranferred) ?

On my Jornada, there is no such setting. The best it can do is to turn
the screen off.

Thanks.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:08:43 AM

Off means off, press the button suspend the device, no USB connection, no
sync...off. This is not a Jornada or an iPAQ or even a Dell X30. It is a
Dell X50v and that's how it works. It's even in the manual, page 26. "Note:
USB charging will not take place if the device is turned on."

> The reason why I keep asking ... I'm using a Jornada 568 and I can sync
> and charge all at the same time, screen on or off, synchronising,
> install programs, etc
>
> So it's a bit difficult to understand what exactly is the condition
> that allow the Dell x50 to charge and sync AT THE SAME TIME, without
> extra AC power.
>
> Thanks for your answers... still what does off mean ? Thanks.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:28:10 AM

One other difference between the cradle and the cable is that if your
PocketPC is completely dead, the cable will not bring power it. Only
the cradle will do this.

Twice I've had the problem when the PPC runs itself completely down and
only the cradle will bring it back alive. I was told that windows
doesn't power the USB bus UNTIL it sees a live device out there. With
the cable and a dead PPC, windows doesn't turn on the juice. The cradle
always has it on. (I'd love to solve the problem that causes the PPC to
just turn on and stay on once and a while...)
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:15:36 AM

Got an option for you. At Seidio there is a cable that is actually designed
to power their FM Ttransmitter off the DC port on their car mount. You can
see it here.
http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductC...
It's basically a USB plug to coaxial plug. The coaxial plug fits the adapter
that comes with the Dell X50. Between those two items you can make a USB to
Dell X50 charge cable that does not include the USB data connectors that
would keep your Dell on, when it turns on to back up.

Interestingly enough, it may be that the existance of the data leads is what
tells the X50 not to charge when it is on. I'm sitting here with my X50v
plugged in to a USB port ussing this cable assembly with the PPC on, and the
charge light is on, and I'm looking at the power screen indicating it is
charging. I haven't let it go very long to see if it is actually charging,
but it sure seems as if it is. Could be that it recognizes the charge input
but it may not be enough from the USB port to overcome the drain while the
device is on. Might just break even, or take forever. In any case, I had the
unit set to turn off after 1 minute on external power and it did so. This
would seem to give you the ability to charge from a USB port, and not worry
about it turning on and not turning back off.

After I wrote all this, it occurs to me you might be using AS and the data
connection to back up, so never mind. My solution to that is using Sprite
Backup to backup to the ever present SD card. I find that it is most likely
i won't be at my PC when I need to restore in an emergency anyway, so having
a self extracting backup on the card with me makes the most sense.

> Then it might pose a problem for me ?
>
> I normally leave the machine connected to do backup at night. At the
> same time, it will charge.
>
> But for Dell x50, after backing up, it will still be on. So it will
> not charge ?
>
> If there a setting in Dell x50 that force the machine off when there is
> no backup or activesync activities (connection established but no data
> being tranferred) ?
>
> On my Jornada, there is no such setting. The best it can do is to turn
> the screen off.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:36:14 AM

P.S. it charged just fine.

"Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got an option for you. At Seidio there is a cable that is actually
> designed to power their FM Ttransmitter off the DC port on their car
> mount. You can see it here.
> http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductC...
> It's basically a USB plug to coaxial plug. The coaxial plug fits the
> adapter that comes with the Dell X50. Between those two items you can make
> a USB to Dell X50 charge cable that does not include the USB data
> connectors that would keep your Dell on, when it turns on to back up.
>
> Interestingly enough, it may be that the existance of the data leads is
> what tells the X50 not to charge when it is on. I'm sitting here with my
> X50v plugged in to a USB port ussing this cable assembly with the PPC on,
> and the charge light is on, and I'm looking at the power screen indicating
> it is charging. I haven't let it go very long to see if it is actually
> charging, but it sure seems as if it is. Could be that it recognizes the
> charge input but it may not be enough from the USB port to overcome the
> drain while the device is on. Might just break even, or take forever. In
> any case, I had the unit set to turn off after 1 minute on external power
> and it did so. This would seem to give you the ability to charge from a
> USB port, and not worry about it turning on and not turning back off.
>
> After I wrote all this, it occurs to me you might be using AS and the data
> connection to back up, so never mind. My solution to that is using Sprite
> Backup to backup to the ever present SD card. I find that it is most
> likely i won't be at my PC when I need to restore in an emergency anyway,
> so having a self extracting backup on the card with me makes the most
> sense.
>

> "flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Then it might pose a problem for me ?
>>
>> I normally leave the machine connected to do backup at night. At the
>> same time, it will charge.
>>
>> But for Dell x50, after backing up, it will still be on. So it will
>> not charge ?
>>
>> If there a setting in Dell x50 that force the machine off when there is
>> no backup or activesync activities (connection established but no data
>> being tranferred) ?
>>
>> On my Jornada, there is no such setting. The best it can do is to turn
>> the screen off.
>>
>> Thanks.

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 3:56:00 AM

It's very easy.
Off means just suspended as usual.

USB can provide only 500mA max, some USB even only 100mA.
When PDA is active it eats 500mA min (backlight min, no WiFi and/or
Bluetooth turned on)
and it canbe up to 2000mA. So in active state PDA can even burn out USB. So
some cables have protection and charge only if it's safe.

P.S. 500mA min for new PDAs, especially with VGA screen and powerful CPU.
Old PDAs need less power so they can work and charge in the same time
without any problems

P.P.S Actually it's not needed any charger, PDA is itself charger, it need
just right voltage and enough current. my PDA(and some other) has special
additional socket for usual coaxal plug, i can use any 5V direct current
which can give 1A.

"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Then it might pose a problem for me ?
>
> I normally leave the machine connected to do backup at night. At the
> same time, it will charge.
>
> But for Dell x50, after backing up, it will still be on. So it will
> not charge ?
>
> If there a setting in Dell x50 that force the machine off when there is
> no backup or activesync activities (connection established but no data
> being tranferred) ?
>
> On my Jornada, there is no such setting. The best it can do is to turn
> the screen off.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:06:07 AM

Sven (at) wrote:
> Got an option for you. At Seidio there is a cable that is actually
designed
> to power their FM Ttransmitter off the DC port on their car mount.
You can
> see it here.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductC...

> It's basically a USB plug to coaxial plug. The coaxial plug fits the
adapter
> that comes with the Dell X50. Between those two items you can make a
USB to
> Dell X50 charge cable that does not include the USB data connectors
that
> would keep your Dell on, when it turns on to back up.

Interesting idea. I have 2 USB ports on my laptop and I use the other
to charge my mobile but not all the time. The connector in the diagram
looks like a Nokia charge connector. Hmm.

> After I wrote all this, it occurs to me you might be using AS and the
data
> connection to back up, so never mind. My solution to that is using
Sprite
> Backup to backup to the ever present SD card. I find that it is most
likely
> i won't be at my PC when I need to restore in an emergency anyway, so
having
> a self extracting backup on the card with me makes the most sense.

I sync VERY OFTEN and throughout the day at the office. So backing up
to SD card is not an option.
Anyway, if you back up to a SD card, then make sure when you loose your
PDA carelessly or loose to theft, you have first taken out your SD card
February 26, 2005 11:31:20 AM

Do you mean that the nokia and the dell use the same connector ? Then
I can try and see if it charges.

As for backup, we just have different concerns. You need a readily
available data restore when you have problem with the system. I need
to make sure I have a 2nd copy in my PC so that I can quickly purchase
another PDA, restore it and get on with my work... if I loose my PDA.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:21:56 PM

The round connector is the same as the one on your Dell AC adapter cord.

Not sure I understand the second comment. Backups are more to restore the
system, IMHO, than the data. The data, in at least the way I use the device,
is largly in non-volatile ROM, or flash cards. That which is not, is backup
up by the AS process itself, into the files folder or Outlook. Those new
things that are created on the PPC and are important, tend to get moved to
other locations on the PC after they are sync'd to the files folder.

My backups are hedging against indavertant or unexpected hard resets or
instabilities, not so much for data, as that is typically safe in
non-volatile storage, or available elswhere already. Losing the device
causes me more concern about someone else having the data than my losing it,
something a backup doesn't help with.

> Interesting idea. I have 2 USB ports on my laptop and I use the other
> to charge my mobile but not all the time. The connector in the diagram
> looks like a Nokia charge connector. Hmm.
>
>I sync VERY OFTEN and throughout the day at the office. So backing up
>to SD card is not an option.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:00:43 PM

How about burnig out your USB?

"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Sven (at) wrote:
> > Got an option for you. At Seidio there is a cable that is actually
> designed
> > to power their FM Ttransmitter off the DC port on their car mount.
> You can
> > see it here.
> >
> http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductC...
>
> > It's basically a USB plug to coaxial plug. The coaxial plug fits the
> adapter
> > that comes with the Dell X50. Between those two items you can make a
> USB to
> > Dell X50 charge cable that does not include the USB data connectors
> that
> > would keep your Dell on, when it turns on to back up.
>
> Interesting idea. I have 2 USB ports on my laptop and I use the other
> to charge my mobile but not all the time. The connector in the diagram
> looks like a Nokia charge connector. Hmm.
>
> > After I wrote all this, it occurs to me you might be using AS and the
> data
> > connection to back up, so never mind. My solution to that is using
> Sprite
> > Backup to backup to the ever present SD card. I find that it is most
> likely
> > i won't be at my PC when I need to restore in an emergency anyway, so
> having
> > a self extracting backup on the card with me makes the most sense.
>
> I sync VERY OFTEN and throughout the day at the office. So backing up
> to SD card is not an option.
> Anyway, if you back up to a SD card, then make sure when you loose your
> PDA carelessly or loose to theft, you have first taken out your SD card
> !

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 3:55:31 AM

I don't know what the Nokia uses, but remember that even if it fits, you
need to check the voltage and polarity. In a picture most all coaxial plugs
look pretty much the same. Lots of differences in inside and outside
diameter though. PPCs typically use 5 to 5.3 or so volts, and the center pin
of iPaqs and Dells at least is + (positive). Most PPC chargers have the
ability to deliver 1.5 to 2 Amps. More won't hurt, a device only draws what
it needs. Less can result in insufficient current to charge, or at worst,
damaging the charger.

You do know that you will need to purchase the same PDA to restore from a
backup right? If you currently use an X5, you couldn't restore to an X30 or
X50. If you have an older iPAQ you couldn't restore to a newer model, only
to the same model the backup was made on. Figure you know this, but if not,
it may affect your backup concept.

> Do you mean that the nokia and the dell use the same connector ? Then
> I can try and see if it charges.
>
> As for backup, we just have different concerns. You need a readily
> available data restore when you have problem with the system. I need
> to make sure I have a 2nd copy in my PC so that I can quickly purchase
> another PDA, restore it and get on with my work... if I loose my PDA.

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:45:11 AM

Sven (at) wrote:
> I don't know what the Nokia uses, but remember that even if it fits,
you
> need to check the voltage and polarity. In a picture most all coaxial
plugs
> look pretty much the same. Lots of differences in inside and outside
> diameter though. PPCs typically use 5 to 5.3 or so volts, and the
center pin
> of iPaqs and Dells at least is + (positive). Most PPC chargers have
the
> ability to deliver 1.5 to 2 Amps. More won't hurt, a device only
draws what
> it needs. Less can result in insufficient current to charge, or at
worst,
> damaging the charger.

Yes, need to do some experimenting. If it cannot, I will have to
source for one locally. I'm not in US. So I'll see what cable is
easily available to me and is the CORRECT one. THanks for the idea. I
have 2 USB port on my machine, just nice. I use to use the mouse but
I've stopped.. save 1 port.

> You do know that you will need to purchase the same PDA to restore
from a
> backup right? If you currently use an X5, you couldn't restore to an
X30 or
> X50. If you have an older iPAQ you couldn't restore to a newer model,
only
> to the same model the backup was made on. Figure you know this, but
if not,
> it may affect your backup concept.

Yes. Need the same make and model. The important thing is that I've
got the data. Come to the worse, there is a utility (I've used before
but cannot remember the name) that allows you to get files out of the
*.stg file. But you still need a backup somewhere, not on your PDA.

Actually, this is only for the peace of mind. I store much of my data
in Outlook, HPC Notes, HanDBase, Spreadsheets, etc which I've already
got a copy when I sync. So the backup it PEACE OF MIND.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:36:47 AM

Hi Sven
I curious how you came to know about this cable that would fit the
Dell x50 machines ?
The cable is not available at my location. If I want to look for a
similar cable, how do I find out what is the connector to plug into the
USB Travel Sync cable ? Is there a part number for this connector or
something that I can quote to the cable people and they will understand
?
I have similar looking cables (not USB but the AC adpaters) but
none of them fit the Dell USB Travel Cable.
So after some length of usage, does this cable actually charge your
x50V ? Even when the battery is flat ? Is it able to do that ? What
about extended battery ? Are you using one and have you tested ?

Thanks !