Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
June 14, 2011 4:14:50 PM

I run win7 home on an asus with intel i7920 with 9 gig ram and nvidia gtx260. The problem I've encountered is that I am unable to restore to any previous restore point. After going through the motions, I get a message that the restore failed due to an "unspecified error occurence at 0X80071a90. It doesn't matter what earlier restore point I choose. Can anyone help?

More about : troubleshooting

June 14, 2011 4:20:52 PM

For what reason do you need to restore the computer?

There is a knowledge thread at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr... that should point you in the right direction.

The gist of the troubleshooting at the link is first to boot into safe mode and disable AV software you may be running, and doing a "clean boot" by disabling startup services and programs, then running an SFC scan to check for damaged files,
m
l
a c 399 $ Windows 7
June 14, 2011 4:23:22 PM

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
m
l
June 16, 2011 4:32:19 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Thanks for the suggestion. It did find and replace some corrupted files. Many thanks.
m
l
!