Need quiet replacement fan for OCZ 700W power supply

BlackHeart

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
I just bought an OCZ Gamestream 700 watt power supply to put in my Antec 900 case.

I also bought a passive cooled video card (no fan) and my Arctic freezer pro fan only runs at 400 rpm (can not hear it).

The Antec case fans are all set to low and the only sound I could hear with the old power supply was the head moving on the disk drive.

The OCZ Gamestream 700 watt power supply can plainly be heard and it also has a bit of a ticking noise to it. I would like the power supply to be as quiet as the rest of the case. I am only pulling 1.2 amps on the 120 volt side of the power supply so I expected the fan to be very quiet.

I need suggestions on a QUIET 120mm fan that I can use to replace the one that is currently in the OCZ 700w Power Supply.

The following link shows a review of the Gamestream 700w power supply and has a picture of the fan with the model number. I can not seem to find any CFM specs on this fan. I also do not know if the power supply uses PWM or just voltage level to control the fan speed.

Picture of OCZ Gamestream 700w power supply fan.

MGA12012HB-O25 (Protechnic Electric +12Vdc, 0.45A,. 87.85 CFM. 2400rpm, 38.3 dBA)
if i trust google

Since it appears to have 3 pins....it must be DC and not PWM

It looks to me like allot of CFM for a psu....but thats due to the small heatsinks for a 700 watt unit(this is due to the lack of space after that fan is added)......

Is it that loud....it should run cooler(quieter) in that case.....

I do not see any fans that will be much quieter at that CFM....

@ mpilchfamily
i have done the same with some PSU's too.....but a 700 watt psu is allot different then quieting a 300 watt psu....if you do it...just make sure you get a 25mm thick fan.....and watch the voltage to make sure it is not over heating...

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
All that replacing the fan would do is get rid of the ticking noise, and if you went with a lower cfm fan you would run a high risk of overheating due to the small heatsinks.

If you just bought it why not return it as defective or just return it and buy a quite psu? Besides I can only think of 2 videocards past a 7600gs that have passive coolers and you could easly run any system with a single 7600gt or 7950gt with a good 500w psu.