ok pc is up and running .... but a slight problem with HDD

Sparko

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
ok guys my new system was finally assembeled and Win xp pro installed .. wvery thing else is fine except the HDD shows a total space of 298gb where as it is a 320 gb hdd .... wat can be the problem .... any solutions

2ndly .. i installed NFS carbon ... it was working perfectly ... but den all of a sudden it crashes and windoes shows dat it has caused an error and will shut down .... did any one else experience da same problem ... is it da game or my system .. please help

Sparko

k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Toss in your XP CD boot from it and goto the Restore command prompt thing..

enter in

chkdsk or something like that to perform a checkdisk..

sounds like a bad sector on the HDD if so this will move any data from that sector mark the sector as bad and will not use it anymore..

4745454b

Titan
Theres no problem, other then your lack of english skills...

Due to marketing, harddrive size on the box is different from "real" harddrive size. Marketers call 1,000,000 bytes as a Megabyte. Because there are really 8bits in a byte and not ten, the real number of bytes is off.

As for your second problem, it depends on the error NFS:C threw. (or for that matter, windows if it was related to that.) Without an error message, we can't help you.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Well, how many times does someone need to tell Sparko the relationship between a true gigabyte and a marketing gigabite? (Note... That's not a spelling error....)?

k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
You got a good point there lol..

Yea spark you will never get the true useable space out of your HD.. some of it is used for things like the registry and boot records and what not..

I was also trying to fix his shutdown problems.. could care less that hes running out of space :) that an issue that can only be solved by getting bigger drives or more drives :)